Rope bags

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id like to find something that carries 5-6 ropes, doesnt take up much more space than the ropes themselves and holds up to being thrown in the truck. Havent found anything yet. We use a plastic chest from home depot, but doesnt last too long. Starts getting cracks and needs to be replaced often.

I have one for climbing line and one for bull rope and I have no trouble with tangling. Makes it easy to transport and keeps the nice and clean. I just feed it into the bag and let it lay as it falls. Comes out the same way it goes in.

What he said ^^ lay it in as it comes and it will not tangle coming out. I take mine to the bottom of the tree, and it stays there, with the rope feeding out as I need it, If I don't use all the rope then it stays in the bag and doesn't get mucky.

If you are going to coil (correct term, not roll) a rope, you have to get that little twist into it as you take each loop, otherwise it will turn into a bunch of 'figure 8' loops and then it WILL tangle.
Flaking generally means you are creating a coiled rope, but doing it on the ground as opposed to holding it while you coil it, works for the bigger longer ones that are too bulky or heavy, still have to give it that wee twist.

Anyway before you ever coil or stuff or flake a new rope, get it all stretched out and work the twists out that were put in when it was wound onto the drum! Then pack it away however you like!

i started with a milk crate, very nice for flaking into. i kept crushing them though, like once a month. i got a metal one eventually, they are hard to find, but i eventually crushed that one too. i got sherill's cheap red rope bag ands it worked well for a long time, taking many hits from logs and branches. finally a log hit it just right, closing the top of it and creating a pocket of air. the thing burst out the seam like a balloon. its still in service though, after a little sewing

Last edited:
I have several and use them to protect the ropes while in the tool box. As for 'flaking' the rope into a bag and getting it to deploy smoothly I am also a skeptic. I think it is faster to just roll it up. Rolling a rope correctly and getting it to unroll clean is a talent that takes a while to learn. Nothing worse than trying to unravel a 150' tangled up mess of rope. For the heavy bull lines to roll them I will set the coils on something, like a fence post or stick a post in one of the pickup truck bed rails.

Dadatwins! Where did you get that "Climber's Creed" saying? I like it. where did you find that quote? Thanks

Dadatwins! Where did you get that "Climber's Creed" saying? I like it. where did you find that quote? Thanks

First read it when I was a kid hanging in the tool room at the place my father and later on I worked. A google search of it say it comes from Mother Theresa, have seen many variations for many different professions.

http://des.emory.edu/mfp/impossibleG.html

I have never had a tangle when deploying rope from a bag and have always had tangles deploying rope after it was rolled up. Frankly I am surprised at the answers so far. I thought that "flaking" was a given in the tree worked world.

Me too. I use a rope tarp from sherrill for my short climbing line that I use 98% of the time, and bags for everything else. The 180' of 3/4" takes up a pretty good sized duffel.

18 Gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck Tub

The 18 gallon Rubbermaid Roughnecks are perfect! Tan one for climbing rope, climbing gear, and throwline. 2 Blue ones for rigging rope, portawrap, blocks, and slings. Locking lids and they nest together. Slam all three on top of eachother heaviest first on to the hand truck and roll them to the jobsite. I have beat mine up plenty bombing limbs onto them. Customers always comment about them. "Hey, that's a good idea, I love those for storing tools, christmas ornaments, etc." I flake my line into them and pay it out under the tree as I climb. Nothing tangles up, lids keep out rain, and ropes are protected from UV when stored. They go on sale for about 12 bucks. Fill'em with ice and they make a great instant cooler!

I got the idea when looking at the GRCS picture in the Wesspur catalog a few years ago. The tree company Redwoods to Roses was photographed using the GRCS and in the picture in the background you could see the roughneck tub paying out the line going through the GRCS.

KISS.
I just coil like it has always been done. Its easy and quick, and always uncoils problem free when done and set down under the tree right.
Nowadays guys have problems listening though, and its impossible to teach someone something once without having to explain it a million times because dudes dont know how to think for themselves.. they were probably brought up watching too much tv or something.
Anyway, I can see how rope bags could be good for newbies who cant coil and tie a rope if their life depended on it, becasue its a no-brainer.

I've been looking into a rope bag just for curiosity sake, but coliling is way easy! And I dont have problems with dirty ropes, or UV, rain protection for some reason!!

I love rope bags. I have about 6 ropes with a bag and about 6 without bags. I never have problems with the bags. Plus the bags keep everything nice and neat, clean and easy to transport.

five gallon buckets, tubs, crates all work great too but if there is a chance of rain, I would not recommend the tubs or buckets.

I keep telling myself I would like to use a big tub at the base of the tree for the rigging rope. To keep it clean and nice and neat and out of the way.

Is that a small garbage can or a cooler or what? How bout a pict or 2?

attachment.php

treevet, got you thinking didn't it! One 18 gallon tub, bought on sale at Target will hold 150' 9/16ths Samson Stablebraid, 150' Samson Velocity, 150' Samson Arbormaster, and climbing helmet/splittails/throwline pouch/biners! When you check them out at the store make sure to get a lid that clips on tight! They get loose when they are hot and will blow out of the back of that nice shiny red truck of yours! Still in love?

Fun. 150' 1/2" Samson Stablebraid daisy chained and loaded in the washing machine on delicate with Woolite getting all tangled up! Comes out nice and clean though! Stupid mud, stupid dogsh@*!

Coolest thing was being shown how to coil rope and use some of the loops as shoulder straps to hike with it for recreational climbing on the big old Oak tree deep in the woods...all alone... with a cute girl!

The one where she gets tied up to the tree?:jawdrop:

That's not the one! She tied me to the tree!:)

Then left me!:cry:

Back