Rope bags

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on rope bags

I use them they work good. I know a climber who uses red bags for his load lowering lines and another color for his climbing lines. Makes good sense to know which lines have been dynamically loaded in rigging operations....

I often climb trees back in the woods. ...What you mean you guys don't go hiking on weekends with your gear.

What?!! You must be like 20 or something. I hadn't felt like doing that in over 15 years. I use to climb large cottonwoods on the U campus in Mpls back in the day for fun,... and maybe a few odd trees within a few years of that, but if I'm climbing, limbs are coming down and the Benjamins are going to be coming out. LOL!

StihlRockin'
icon10.gif

I often climb trees back in the woods. What you mean you guys don't go hiking on weekends with your gear. :greenchainsaw:

There are a few of us that do, even those that aren't in their twenties. But I think we're in the minority.

:cheers:

From Oct. first to Jan. 15th you can find me in a tree just about everyday whether I'm working or not. Of course on my off days I'll have a bow and arrow in my hands instead of a 200T... ;)

Well Sherrill completed my order. I got the back ordered straps to carry the rope bag as a backpack yesterday. I was very pleased to find the bag fits very well on my back with the straps.

5ae83d9a.jpg

e7d398b0.jpg

98bcee73.jpg

99bb160e.jpg

Which bag did you get Adkpk? I need another rope bag like I need a hole in the head but I like the idea of being able to keep my saddle and gear in the same bag as my climbing rope. Plus Sherrill just sent me a post card reminding me that their rope bags are 20% off right now... Man, do they have my number or what???

Which bag did you get Adkpk? I need another rope bag like I need a hole in the head but I like the idea of being able to keep my saddle and gear in the same bag as my climbing rope. Plus Sherrill just sent me a post card reminding me that their rope bags are 20% off right now... Man, do they have my number or what???

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Tool-Bags/Rope-Bag

Include in the comment box that Adkpk sent you and ask what I get for setting up a sale if you do. :clap::laugh: It's always been a dream for me to become a salesman. :hmm3grin2orange: NOT!

I took this picture while relaxing up in the trees on a day off.

That's awesome. I've never set one up that steep, exactly how are you coming to a stop at the other end? We used the CMI Velocity Trolley and bungeed block at the end.

Rope talk. Gotta fill the bag with something.

So Vermeer can order me 150' of 3/4" Bull Rigger 12 with a WLL of about 1300lbs for $256.00 (tax not included). Ouch.

On the other hand, the equipment store my climber goes to has 150' of store-brand 5/8", comparable to Stable-Braid, with a WLL of about 1,600lbs, for $180. (Or any length at $1.20 a foot.)

Pretty clear choice, I guess. And with the $75 I save, I can buy more toys! maybe a nice pulley and another Big Dan.

Ziplines

Just a quick note to say please be very careful when setting up a zipline. I had a close friend paralyzed on one. I know most here are pros but wanted to mention it.

Just a quick note to say please be very careful when setting up a zipline. I had a close friend paralyzed on one. I know most here are pros but wanted to mention it.

I am sorry to hear that, even the "pros" need to be reminded now and again. In central ohio, at another camp a few years ago. There were two trained instructors who went against camp policy and hooked both of themselves into one trolley. They both ended up falling and one perished in the fall.

The cable is 3/8" and I think the trolley is made by Starlight..... maybe those were the old ones.... I can't remember what they are now but I know the old ones were made by starlight.

The angle is around 10 degrees, looks can be decieving, some zippers (zippees?) don't make it to the platform and have to be retrieved by rope from the middle of the valley when they slide back.

I have more pictures from the same training session, I will post them in a seperate thread when I get a chance to. There are a lot of neat obsticles on this High Ropes Course.

Oh... and the stop is a motorcyle tire with the cable run through it. The tire is anchored away from the tree the cable goes to so that tere is no collision.

Ouch. That's a sad situation. To be honest, though, I don't think we've ever used a zipline.

Was wondering if I was going to sacrifice a finger in the Porta-Wrap the other day, but that's a different story.

I am sorry to hear that, even the "pros" need to be reminded now and again. In central ohio, at another camp a few years ago. There were two trained instructors who went against camp policy and hooked both of themselves into one trolley. They both ended up falling and one perished in the fall.

The cable is 3/8" and I think the trolley is made by Starlight..... maybe those were the old ones.... I can't remember what they are now but I know the old ones were made by starlight.

The angle is around 10 degrees, looks can be decieving, some zippers (zippees?) don't make it to the platform and have to be retrieved by rope from the middle of the valley when they slide back.

I have more pictures from the same training session, I will post them in a seperate thread when I get a chance to. There are a lot of neat obsticles on this High Ropes Course.

Oh... and the stop is a motorcyle tire with the cable run through it. The tire is anchored away from the tree the cable goes to so that tere is no collision.

Looks like a fun setup Ghillie. The person I mentioned was a lady that I know and worked for for a couple of years. She was no pro and was setting the zipline up in her back yard and hit the ground while testing it out for her kids. I wouldn't let her experience hold me back from trying one that was professionally installed though. Looks like a blast.

Masiman sent me a pm asking about the rope bag and I have opted to post his reply out here in case any of you are thinking about the bag. The bag pictured is the large not the XL. In the pic under my belt (everything on it, the TTMS, biners, lanyard, saw lanyard, rope saver, several redirects and an 8) is my 150' line. My helmet goes ontop or the belt and in the helmet a very small daypack which has the "tree climbers companion", my glasses, an extra prusik cord, a splitail, gloves, a lighter for melting the ends of rope. It overfills the helmet a little bit. Then a lite weight canvas tarp for keeping the rope and things out of the dirt. My ditty bag and some sling-it line for resetting the line in the tree. My sugio. And to top it off my 30' lanyard. And there is still 5"s or so more room. I could probably put my 120' line and the hitchclimber setup in there too. But I keep that in another day pack with another rope saver and some miscellaneous pulleys and small stuff.
Now if you carry more than that to a job and want the XL bag consider the weight of what I just listed. I'm 5'8 and 180 and the weight of the bag makes me more like 5'6 I think. Ya, it's heavy. I would guess 75-80 lbs.
As I stated before the bag is well constructed of heavy duty canvas and has a strong zipper and some other little do-dads to keep you happy.
Now if Sean Larkin reads this review just sent me a complete big shot package and I'll keep it up. :biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:
98bcee73.jpg

Bags suck. I use all types of buckets which can be used for other things like covering a well head, lamp post, small shrubs. Real economical and diverse. They allow the rope to air out and dry, can carry lots of other stuff and can be tossed on the loader bucket to transport. They don't rip and its easy to see what is in them.

I use 55 gal ( plastic) cut in half as well as a regualr trash can which is good for rakings. When I get to a job they come out and I can sort through them for what I need, come the end everything gets tossed back in, tossed on the truck and is kept safe from contamination and safe from saw chains and oil. The best thing is that if anybody shows up asking questions I can hide under them too.

Bags suck. I use all types of buckets which can be used for other things like covering a well head, lamp post, small shrubs. Real economical and diverse. They allow the rope to air out and dry, can carry lots of other stuff and can be tossed on the loader bucket to transport. They don't rip and its easy to see what is in them.

Well, I actually use bags, but your method sounds attractive. I have used bags for years, but maybe I will have to look at other options (which may actually be a little less costly and do the job just as well or better).

The best thing is that if anybody shows up asking questions I can hide under them too.

Now that is an added attraction :)

Masiman sent me a pm asking about the rope bag and I have opted to post his reply out here in case any of you are thinking about the bag. The bag pictured is the large not the XL. In the pic under my belt (everything on it, the TTMS, biners, lanyard, saw lanyard, rope saver, several redirects and an 8) is my 150' line. My helmet goes ontop or the belt and in the helmet a very small daypack which has the "tree climbers companion", my glasses, an extra prusik cord, a splitail, gloves, a lighter for melting the ends of rope. It overfills the helmet a little bit. Then a lite weight canvas tarp for keeping the rope and things out of the dirt. My ditty bag and some sling-it line for resetting the line in the tree. My sugio. And to top it off my 30' lanyard. And there is still 5"s or so more room. I could probably put my 120' line and the hitchclimber setup in there too. But I keep that in another day pack with another rope saver and some miscellaneous pulleys and small stuff.
Now if you carry more than that to a job and want the XL bag consider the weight of what I just listed. I'm 5'8 and 180 and the weight of the bag makes me more like 5'6 I think. Ya, it's heavy. I would guess 75-80 lbs.
As I stated before the bag is well constructed of heavy duty canvas and has a strong zipper and some other little do-dads to keep you happy.
Now if Sean Larkin reads this review just sent me a complete big shot package and I'll keep it up. :biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:
98bcee73.jpg

Thanks for the info, I was torn between the XL and the Large, I think the large will do.

I just noticed on the web link that you can run the rope out of a slot on the lid, what do you think of that on yours?

I just noticed on the web link that you can run the rope out of a slot on the lid, what do you think of that on yours?

I really think the world of it.:biggrinbounce2:

Order them bags up if your in the market at 20% it's the best thing for your money. If you don't like it, it folds up to fit in a the small box it came in and Sherrill will send you a free t-shirt for trying it out. :greenchainsaw:

They're gonna send me a whole box along with my bigshot for raving about it.

But really, it's well made and I think it fits more than they said.

I really think the world of it.:biggrinbounce2:

Order them bags up if your in the market at 20% it's the best thing for your money. If you don't like it, it folds up to fit in a the small box it came in and Sherrill will send you a free t-shirt for trying it out. :greenchainsaw:

They're gonna send me a whole box along with my bigshot for raving about it.

But really, it's well made and I think it fits more than they said.

LOL... I wonder if I can sell some ad space under my subliminal message!

I have been using a couple of medium surplus alice packs and they are too small for my gear and rope but too big for just a rope.

I like to leave the rope in the bag under the tree to leave the unused out of the dirt and dropped limbs.

Back