Rpm tachometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are wired ones you can buy that wrap a lead around the spark plugs and wires. They are very accurate, cheap (about $20), usually the display/battery unit is smaller than a fun-size candy bar, and they sometimes come with an hour meter to log how long you've used your ewuipment. But they work best when you stick or screw the display down to something for a semi-permanent addition to your OPE. Some people don't like mounting them on their saws and prefer the other style.

The other type is the wireless tach device, usually about as big as an 80's calculator or small TV remote, you just hold them near the spark plug (one side is designated to point at the spark plug) and they wirelessly read the engine RPM. Downside is they are expensive, like almost 5 times the price, or close to $100. Also, if you're using one hand to hold the tach, it is hard to use the saw in wood, or make adjustments to the carb with just one free hand.

To solve this issue, there is a guy on the forum who 3D prints a mounting box for the tiny tach wireless tach that mounts it to the top handle for a semi-permanent addition to your OPE.

Just got a Stihl EDT 9. I don't trust my ear, so I'm using it to try to keep the pistons and cylinders that are still worth saving.

Bear in mind that any tach tuning settings you get from the dealer are primarily selected to meet mandated emission standards, longevity of your saw is not their main concern and you could end up with a saw running a little leaner than optimum.

Back