Running costs of a chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Alturna mats to protect yards when necessary. I've taken logs that were over 4000lbs out of yards that were so soggy you couldn't push a wheel barrow through them on the Alturna mats. We pulled them up, hit the area with a leaf rake and you couldn't tell we were there. I have the white ones that won't brown the grass. Make sure you get the connect links so you can make a road.

For two reasons. 1) They are translucent (allow light to pass through). 2) The reflect the sunlight so they have a lower surface temp.

I went through my Vermeer dealer.........He gave me the show discount after some pressure. Make sure you try and deal them down. The mats are solid white.......all the way through......not sure where your headed but I'm curious.

When you say solid white, I'm thinking SOLID white. How are they transluscent if they're solid white? Maybe I'm just having a prolonged brain fart, I dunno!

I'll put a really bright (halogen) light under it and see if their claims are accurate. They are out on a site so it will take a few days. I'll post a pic if I can.

Aaah! Okay. Thanks. So are they usually down long enough for browning to be a problem? I know this is off topic but you've got me curious.

Redbull said:
Aaah! Okay. Thanks. So are they usually down long enough for browning to be a problem?

That depends on what part of town (OTR/LPH) he leaves them in overnight!
-Ralph

Black rubber mats left on grass for 6 hours in sunlight WILL burn the grass under it. I laid some black rubber mats on a lawn and when I pulled it off, the grass under it was burnt. It recovers in a couple of weeks, but get the white mats if you are using it on lawns. Black rubber gets really hot.

I'm probably about to buy an ASV track loader. I was leaning towards the RC-60, but high-flow hydraulics is not available for it. You guys have got me thinking I want high-flow to get more versatility out of my machine (stumpgrinding, etc.).

For high flow I'd have to go up to the RC-85. It's more money, 3000lbs heavier at nearly 10,000 lbs (but not much more ground pressure with the tracks), and 2 ft longer. So it would be a little less maneuvarable, but have more versatility.

Right now I'm grinding stumps with a rental walk-behind, and that sh$$ gets old. Half the time the teeth aren't even sharp.

You could get something like the RC50 turf edition and with the money you save, buy a dedicated stump grinder.

I think this thread is starting to go off the protective mats we laid down.

timberwolf150 said:
No computers / faxes mobiles etc because of their religion.

:confused: Out of interest, what is their religeon that doesn't allow them to use computers?

BTW where are you in the UK - anywhere near Lincs? Just in case I have more problems with my chipper..

ACER there 'plymouth brevrin' a strict so called christian bunch,all the women wear blue head scafes no bull,i'm certain they were once part of the Jehovas Witneses...Timber150 is based in Stowmarket Suffolk not far from Bury ST Edmunds..

I would think they are Amish or an off shoot of Amish. Amish don't use telephones or electricity.

No KOA there not Amish [aren't the Amish German or Dutch decent] there a bunch of homegrowns i've worked for lots of them ,actualy there very nice people,most run there own businesses like I said i'm certain they were an off shoot the JWs..I think the spelling is 'Plymouth brethrin' .You got me wondering about them now I think i'll give them a google search.

Rolly, I trust that the site you fopund cleared things up a little-the PB predate the JWs. Re-The Amish-much depends upon the particular ordenung-many Amish have Telephones and automobiles-their ordenungs define frivolity differently than the horse & buggy groups. Even those with cars still are committed to avoiding the frivolous-so they buy plain autos without any bells and whistles like power windows or radios. I looked at an Amish chipper once-A Morbark with a Wisconsin engine-and hand crank starting.

Back