Running costs of a chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the cost of running a chipper, does anyone know where I could find out how much fuel per hour a Ford 3.0 inline six cylinder running at 2200 RPMs consumes? I know it would be an avg. and there are variables but an avg. would be helpful.

So what would be the best way to calculate fuel consumption? I guess I could empty the tank, add one gallon of fuel, run a good mix of wood and brush, and see how long it lasts. Do this maybe three times and take an avg. Does that make sense?

If you want to know how much fuel you are running. Fill up and keep track of hours and gallons. Run at a rate and then re-evaluate. Adjust accordingly. I would do it over a period of a week or better. Every wood type will run through differently. Some chips easy and other are a pain in the rear.

Redbull said:
Back to the cost of running a chipper, does anyone know where I could find out how much fuel per hour a Ford 3.0 inline six cylinder running at 2200 RPMs consumes? I know it would be an avg. and there are variables but an avg. would be helpful.

Mine uses almost 3 Gallons an hr. That will increase if you are running larger logs thru it and the governor is working overtime to keep the rpms up.

If you're just looking for a number, My chipper runs the ford 300 inline 6 (4.9L) and I can chip all day on 5-7 gallons of gas. mine's running 2400 rpm, I chip everything from twigs to 12 inch stuff as I don't bother with firewood, and drag to the chipper before starting, or if too much, I shut down while we drag up more. Thats about 14 cu ft.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
If you're just looking for a number, My chipper runs the ford 300 inline 6 (4.9L) and I can chip all day on 5-7 gallons of gas. mine's running 2400 rpm, I chip everything from twigs to 12 inch stuff as I don't bother with firewood, and drag to the chipper before starting, or if too much, I shut down while we drag up more. Thats about 14 cu ft.
-Ralph

Wow. Mine will suck the tank dry in 8 hrs

You all got me curious. But I know I can run a full day and then some. I guess I should check on my tank size. I'll try to look at the gas receipts in the office tomorrow.

Redbull said:
What kind of chipper are you guys running?

Vermeer 1230 with 12 inch throat.

For us, if it is smaller then around 10 inches diameter it usually gets chipped.

I'm still trying to identify my chipper. I do know that it's a 1992 Brush Bandit, has a Ford inline six, and a 16" throat. The measurements of the knives are the same as the 60xp and 65xp (at least the knives in the Sherrill catalog say 60xp & 65xp) but the machine doesn't look like one. It's been painted and no decals are visible anymore.

Could you just call brush bandit? I know if I call morbark for a part, they want the model and the last 4 #s of the vin, once they have that, they know more about it than I do. They even told me the numbers on the metal tag on the engine valve cover.
-Ralph

Diesel engines will be way more efficient as far as fuel consumption goes. I know this from having owned both gasoline and diesel engine chippers. I will never own a gas engine chipper again. (the last one I had was in 1993)

begleytree said:
Could you just call brush bandit? I know if I call morbark for a part, they want the model and the last 4 #s of the vin, once they have that, they know more about it than I do. They even told me the numbers on the metal tag on the engine valve cover.
-Ralph

So if I gave them the numbers on the metal plate of the engine, they should be able to tell me the model of the chipper? Those are the only legible numbers on the machine since it's been painted.

Redbull said:
So if I gave them the numbers on the metal plate of the engine, they should be able to tell me the model of the chipper? Those are the only legible numbers on the machine since it's been painted.

I don't know, I do know Morbark can, I figured it may be worth a try. BTW, mine has a stamped tag about 18" long on the tongue with the serial/VIN # stamped into it. Not saying you're blind, but a good handrub over parts may find it.

KOA, If I were in your area, I'd agree with you. But in cold weather, diesel adds another problem I don't have with a gasser. In cold weather, I pull the choke, crank for about 3 seconds, and she fires right up. Diesel has it's advantages, but due to weather and diesel availability here, It's more hassel than advantage.
-Ralph

I saw that Jenson,looks like you got a good deal bigA i take it its the 2001 Jensen i saw on Earborist ??...Steve what did you buy?? i reckon i'll get a new 7.5'' 40hp turbo diesel chipper from Prochip this spring ''''IF I GET A GOOD DEAL'''' ....BigA imo a chipper doesn't put money on a jobs price if anything it lowers the price of the job,as its a luxury item,it should save you time/money ie make you cheaper compared to a guy with no chipper if you get what i mean,now charging to take the chips away especially if it will cost you to dump them thats a different story... :dizzy:

actually im just messing around rolla.....me and bigA went 2's up on the jensen

Latest posts

Back