Safest Method of Entry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safest Method of Entry

• Bodythrusting

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Footlocking

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Spurs

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • Ascenders

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Crane

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Ladder

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Trampoline

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Pointlessness

I've pretty much determined that it's pointless to argue about this matter anymore with a few narrowminded individuals that are too lazy to pick up a phone or write an e-mail to determine for themselves the truth of it being legal to tie off onto the hook of a crane with a locked gate.

I have however both written and talked to commitee members and Cal OSHA officials that will be meeting in April to determine if it would be possible to rewrite these regulations in clearer language so that no misunderstanding of the regulations occur in the future.

This to me is a better use of my time, and I thank the experts and officials that are making these efforts to develope safer and more practical guidelines for the tree care industry in the future.

Heck I'll even thank the jokers here that have made it clear that more readily understandable regulations are sorely needed right away.

Respectfully,

jomoco

Jamoco,

I had the pleasure of attending the Mass. Arborist Association Safety saves seminar on working safely with cranes this past week. It was complete with representation from the TCIA and OSHA including some of your for-mentioned pals. The final verdict was that under no circumstances should you tie into the ball hook, and that you should tie into the boom line with a shackle or friction hitch. Further more they used reference material from the recent issue of your favorite TCIA magazine. I would appreciate it if in the future you did not spread this type of mis-information over the Arborist Site.

Respectfully,

diltree

Rest assured I read the article

Jamoco,

I had the pleasure of attending the Mass. Arborist Association Safety saves seminar on working safely with cranes this past week. It was complete with representation from the TCIA and OSHA including some of your for-mentioned pals. The final verdict was that under no circumstances should you tie into the ball hook, and that you should tie into the boom line with a shackle or friction hitch. Further more they used reference material from the recent issue of your favorite TCIA magazine. I would appreciate it if in the future you did not spread this type of mis-information over the Arborist Site.

Respectfully,

diltree

I read the article in TCI today, as well as sending e-mails to each individual on the commitee that I spoke with previously for clarification on their answers to my questions, though I doubt I'll receive any replies until after April's meeting on the subject.

If it turns out that I am indeed wrong about my assertions, rest assured that I'll man up and admit it.

Until then I'll have to settle for atleast being correct about it being legal to tie off onto a crane, though the exact accepted method for doing so is still in question.

Respectfully,

jomoco

I gots me this hybrid style of gettin up there. I tie in with an anchor hitch, use a split tail tied with a blakes. I then have the option to hipthrust or for the long haul i get myself vert. and foot lock it while advancing my rope.

Rats, I missed all the fun....

I deal with an insane number of wires on some of the jobs we do in the city. The more I can drop the happier I am! Then we actually make money!

you just had to didn't you

Jamoco,

Respectfully,

diltree

I was hoping to make it to the meeting, settled for another day in paradise instead:greenchainsaw:

I knew you would get this cleared up, for a while there I was second guessing myself. Jomoco made some pretty convincing arguements, I'd just never seen it done the way he described it. I hope you guys can be friends now, it seems like a match made in heaven to me. Two guys who get big wood over cranes.......................:hmm3grin2orange:

Jamoke, where is your rebuttle? The lag time in your response is getting to be a bit too much.

My reply is there in post #196 at the top of this page.

But once again you may rest assured that after the april commitee meeting is over and I hear back from the commitee members that I consulted with prior to any of my assertions in this post, I will make full and unambiguous apology on this board for posting inaccurate and misinformed information.

Until then, try and hold your triumphant glee in check. I'm a man of my word.

Respectfully,

jomoco

Jeff

He's a troll and the red dots indicate his worth.

LOL, trolling the thread, Pekka, my offer still stands tough guy. I'll out climb you, out smart you and send ya home to ya mommy crying punk.

I meant, this is when I'm removing a tree, so spiking the lower area of the trunk isn't an issue.

So then I'm up, and if for a long time the spurs become uncomfortable, I can remove them and use my pantin for stability and leverage.

I don't like ladders anymore, just had a bad experience with one, my original post sounded stupid, cause I am most the time...but...there are many techniques and equipment that could be improved upon greatly, just thinking out loud.......sigh.

Last edited:
I,m ready for them to perfect jet packs lol. Just pull trigger and
fly like an eagle! Or maybe lazier trimmer just trim from the ground but
think of the regs on that, man we could post for days!!!!!

Back