Saw Cranks, Runs Good, then Dies when it warms up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_cmc_2b

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Poulan Pro Model PP4218AVX that I put a new Carburetor, fuel lines, in tank filter, & primer bulb on a few months back, and once I got it(carb) set, the saw has cranked and ran fine, but it never fails that after about 15 to 20 minutes of use, it starts to act like it is running out of fuel and then goes dead and will not start again right away. Now if you let it cool all the way down it will start right back up and repeat the above... If it was simply shutting down once it got hot, I'd be thinking it had a bad coil, but I'm checking with y'all to see if there is anything else that could cause my problem...

As always Thanks for y'alls help...

Attachments

• Poulan Pro 42cc Chainsaw - MD PP4218AVX 802145 - A.jpg
    Poulan Pro 42cc Chainsaw - MD PP4218AVX 802145 - A.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 9
Can I just clean the vent on the cap or should I purchase a new one?
You can clean that cap, remove cap attached to retainer from cap, then metal ring, duck bill valve and small filter. Will have to clean that filter well, maybe clogged with dust and dirt. Make sure duck valve is opening and reassemble, should be able to blow compressed air through cap.

Duce hit the nail on the head with the fuel cap. Sounds like fuel venting. Either that or the height of the fuel vent/return line (assuming it just shoves in the top of the tank like most of the saws of this style)

Check hot compression vs Cold compression. I have a poulan 2900 with a hurt motor, starts on 4 pulls cold and runs like a beast for about 10 minutes...then loses power and shuts off hot.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
For a possible quick fix, make sure the sparkplug is gapped correctly and then go a hair larger. Sometimes the heat made my 50/20 crap out after it got hot. This helped.

Back