Saw Modifiers on East Coast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a reliable saw mod man for a used MS461.
I live in PA., would prefer it to be on East coast.
Suggestions?

Pretty sure al (drf) isn’t really doin much port work for new customers these days. 461s are a little different animal in some ways, I’d do some research and find somebody who has done a few. You’d do better to not limit yourself to people real close to you, unless your that concerned about shipping a saw. Also lots of very good builders that aren’t on this forum (or any other for that matter). Best advice is don’t rush into it, and ask questions.

OK. forget "close to me"
Who would you recommend that can do a good job on a used 460?

Be careful of who you send/give a saw to and MAKE SURE that you are on the same page for timelines and expectations before the saw and money leave your hands. I've tried to support local/semi local folks a few times and learned it is better to just go to someone who has a good reputation (regardless of location) and just pony up the shipping to get the saw to/from them.

Carl Miller (millermodsaws) in Missouri has done several saws for me and my friends. Huskil in Michigan is another great guy. Both are on a very short list of people I would trust to send a saw to. Beyond that, good luck.

Carl Miller (millermodsaws) in Missouri has done several saws for me

You beat me to it, Carl has done a few saws for me & I am very happy with them & he is good guy. I am heading down tonight to pick up my 5105 & 2511T from him. Fortunately he is local to me so there is no shipping. I learned more about saws the first time I met Carl than I learned from my dealers in all the years I visited them. There are several fellas that build strong saws & will keep you informed on your build as it progresses.

Be careful of who you send/give a saw to and MAKE SURE that you are on the same page for timelines and expectations before the saw and money leave your hands. I've tried to support local/semi local folks a few times and learned it is better to just go to someone who has a good reputation (regardless of location) and just pony up the shipping to get the saw to/from them.

Carl Miller (millermodsaws) in Missouri has done several saws for me and my friends. Huskil in Michigan is another great guy. Both are on a very short list of people I would trust to send a saw to. Beyond that, good luck.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with either of these guys.

What part of pa, I got dozer Dan to do a 372 and a 346 couldn’t be happier

I don't think dozer Dan has been porting saws for a few years now, maybe more.

Randy (MasterMind) is in Tennessee. He can port anything as much or as little as you want. He has a long waiting list though. He gets top ratings from many out there.

Randy makes a great saw, but nowadays he only works on new saws.

JMHO...another thing to ask your builder is how much time do they spend on your build.

Some builders do multiple saws a day. Other builders do one saw at a time and it may take them several (partial) days to complete a build. If builder A has 30 saws in line and builder B has two, who do you think is going to put more time into your build? Do you want someone who is going to grind your saw to a “recipe” and make 2 test cuts before boxing it up? Or do you want someone who will test out your saw thoroughly to make sure it’s doing what it should? Now what if I told you both builder A and B charge the same.

Also it doesn’t matter how many saws a builder has done, even every saw of the same model is a little different.

Back