Scored a cheap Timber Bear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsglover

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got a Timber Bear for $20 today " been sitting for a while and could not start". Checked fuel line and filter was off and line brittle. Put some fuel in carb and started first pull. Going to put new fuel line and filter on tomorrow and crank it up. Very good chain. Please, haters do not respond. I know what it is, but it is a chainsaw, that runs, for $20 and I can still cut some wood or my leg off:msp_smile:

Last edited:
Good job, get the fuel line swapped out and get her running. Pretty good saws and thats not a bad price.

Haters or not, I think most folks here would have grabbed that for $20. You may have to fool with the oiler to get it going. Aside from that, those are pretty reliable saws. Plastic starter spools can break also. There are scads of parts for those on Ebay if you need them. Enjoy your new saw and ignore all of the "experts" here who make fun of it. There are still plenty of homes heated with wood from one of those saws.

Same sorta deal...........

Congrats on your $20 saw score!!

I had basically the same thing happen to me last week. My friend that lives in a Northwestern Arizona town picked a $25 PM610 up for me and will be delivering it sometime in the future. I know the starter recoil mechanism is screwed up/broken but the saw looks to be in well taken care of shape.........it was the seller's dad's casual usage saw that he inherited and didn't have any use for it. My friend took some documentation pictures to illustrate the condition;

Where my work on the saw will start;
1f09f67a.jpg

Sorta like checking out the condition of a dirt bike by looking at the skidplate and frame bottom tubes...........check out the bottom of the saw for usage evidence.....this one looks pretty darn clean!!
367b48ac.jpg

e3dae67e.jpg

Thanks!!

XPLRN - That one looks really good so far! Good luck! :cheers:

Thanks and I hope the OP's Timber Bear is in similar shape. I've not seen this PM610 yet so am looking forward to pulling the muffler and seeing what condition the P/C is in. Or maybe I'll just fix the recoil and do the same thing the OP is doing(new fuel line(s), filter and kit the carb)....... then just get it running and see how it pulls a chain. I've got a good feeling about buying a low usage saw from an older original purchaser(seller's deceased dad). The old timers seem to like running mix ratios a bit heavy on the oil side.....I do too.

Last edited:
In the short time I've been into saws, I've crossed paths with three of these saws. None of the recoil spools could be changed into either of the other saws. I saw plastic and metal spools, but all the spindles were plastic.

In the short time I've been into saws, I've crossed paths with three of these saws. None of the recoil spools could be changed into either of the other saws. I saw plastic and metal spools, but all the spindles were plastic.

Thanks for the heads up on what I'll be digging into on the recoil repairs ahead of me. I don't know which spool(s) I have......but at least now I know that they came either plastic or metal and all with the plastic spindles!!

You may also want to start searching the Mac thread for info on the oiler in that saw. They do have problems from time to time ...

Got it running

Took a little work but got it running today. Messed with the dang pull rope longer than anything. Not sure if it is 55 or 60cc yet. Here are some pics

Took a little work but got it running today. Messed with the dang pull rope longer than anything. Not sure if it is 55 or 60cc yet. Here are some pics
Nice - looks to be in good shape, especially for $20! I can't tell what size it is either. It's got that wonderful Tri-Link Chinese chain from Home Depot that seems to get put on most of these saws. I have a loop for mine too. I ground all the funky bumper straps and it actually cuts OK. Probably want better chain if it runs well though.

Got a Timber Bear for $20 today " been sitting for a while and could not start". Checked fuel line and filter was off and line brittle. Put some fuel in carb and started first pull. Going to put new fuel line and filter on tomorrow and crank it up. Very good chain. Please, haters do not respond. I know what it is, but it is a chainsaw, that runs, for $20 and I can still cut some wood or my leg off:msp_smile:

I grabbed one for $40 last week and figured I'd done well. I even had to do a little work on this one. It's the most I ever paid for one except I bought one several years ago for $150 when they were almost new. They last a long time...

Latest posts

Back