Stihl 028 dead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnt03

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Will try to keep this short in point form.

Historically has run well (last 5 years). Ethanol free fuel only, easy start every year, good power. Process about 4-5 cords per year with it.

Saw died instantly while bucking. No spark. Installed spare coil. Still no spark. New plug. Spark!

Won’t start. No fuel to carb. Removed and cleaned carb. No fuel. Changed fuel filter, removed and checked impulse and fuel line for leaks - all good. Removed and checked exhaust for plugging. No fuel. New carb, fuel line, impulse line, still no fuel.

Sputters when I shoot carb cleaner in the cylinder and pull it. Checked compression, at 120psi after 5 pulls.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The 028`s are great saws, I keep a dozen or so of them running for folks to cut firewood with. When a scenario like yours happens I pull the front cover off the muffler and take a look at the piston through the exhaust port, many times there is aluminum streaking/scoring on the piston. The rings may be smeared with aluminum.

Sounds like stuck rings to me. Time to replace the slug and rings I'd say and have a good look-see at the cylinder as well. I have to replace the crank seals in my ancient 028 this year. After 45 plus years of running fine, it's probably time. I need to get out my 'Mighty-Vac' and check the leak down to be sure. Least it's not the 'dreaded' clamshell design.

Latest posts

Back