ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Scrounging firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by mainewoods, Feb 23, 2014.

1. woodchip rookie

woodchip rookie Addicted to ArboristSite

A F-150? Whats that?! You mean a Prius?! :D

2. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 ESD sufferer

Yeah, sure we've got bicycles and you can put a mowing deck on it so you can clean your gutters too. Just the thing you need for getting your taxes done while you're shooting polar bears in the Sahara!

3. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

Some really good Stihl dealers around here but they are victims of Stihl HQ's policies just as much as the end user is, so I'll keep importing my own Stihls if need be.

4. svk

svk A little bit of everything

From what I can tell, as long as you sell at least a certain number of saws, the company doesn't seem to care if you provide good service or not.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff Addicted to ArboristSite

That’s why in every saw x vs saw y thread, it’s invariably said that both are good and go with the one that has a dealer you like.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper Addicted to ArboristSite

My local dealer sells both husky and stihl. Get what you want there. true they dont stock the 3120 or the 088. Not that big a demand, but if you want one, they can have it in a few days. Do really good low country boils pretty often too.

7. Jeffkrib

Jeffkrib ArboristSite Guru

One big differences between Stihl and Husqvarna, is Husqvarna is a listed company with executives chasing big bonuses based on profit growth, they are happy to take risks like borrowing lots of money to get that growth.
    Stihl on the other hand is family owned and from near Stuttgart. Family owned companies from that part of Germany are famously conservative with their money, they don't chase growth. They are proud to keep jobs in Germany and their home town, their tooling and machinery will be all German sourced ....... Pretty much how every company should be really.
    I wish we had companys like this in Australia.
    The dealers in the regions is another story

8. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

The dealer near me that sells both knows little about either.

9. MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt Addicted to ArboristSite

In town, we have both dealers and they are both jerks. Id rather drive a hour away and see a good guy named Bob.

10. svk

I drive about 22 hours to see that same guy ;)

11. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

Bob is a fantastic guy, I wish he sold the brand I prefer! Always like seeing/talking to him at GTGs.

12. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

I have a John Deere dealer who now carries Stihl just 1/2 mile down the road. Has a very good inventory but the saws and garden equip are very obviously a side line and any service comes after the farmers needs. Service tech is also the farm equipment service supervisor so guess who has priority.

Other than getting something over the parts counter my business goes down the road 20 miles to Ace Hardware who has a full time saw mechanic.

13. nighthunter

nighthunter addicted to arboristsite

That why on a good day if your served with in 30 mins is perfect but on a bad day you might as well clear your schedule that's how busy my stihl dealer

14. LondonNeil

LondonNeil Addicted to ArboristSite

At least you guys have a few brands to choose from. Here in the UK, if we ignore the utter bollox Chinese rubbish, there is stihl and husky and that's basically it. I could get some poulan home owner saws like the pro 5020 but it would be via the web and getting any parts would be impossible (I looked into this several months back, before I bought the 038 super), I could get a makita but finding a dealer for those would be real work, and although it's possible I suspect, to get jonsered, echo and dolmar, those brands are rare and finding a dealer for support would be tough, you'd be relying on the postal service for anything other than stihl and husky.

15. nighthunter

Neil did you look at solo's they are a German company and make good saws except for the 681 they had continues trouble with the oil pumps at least the 1 I had did for a finish i ran the chain loose because of the trouble with the pump . solos have some serious torque available

16. LondonNeil

I didn't look at solo, I'd not heard of that brand before. It might be here, I've just not heard of it.

17. nighthunter

I need a big saw at the moment for some big trees and my 660 struggling with the largest trees and also want to do some milling so I was looking at second hand saws that are very hard to find but found 2 saws after a while
    088 or 3120
    088 was used for milling most of its life and is cheap at 500 euro ( worried about the crank)
    I no nothing of the 3120 history but the dealer who sold it new told me it has worked hard and is priced at 900 euro
    What would your opinions be
    (I'm allowed to do a compression test on 088 but not the husky as I don't have a tester and either has the private seller)

18. svk

Will they allow you to pop the muffler on the Husky?

I don't know what saw prices look like in your market but 500eu seems reasonable if it's not a wreck.

19. nighthunter

No all he'll do with the husky is make a few cuts
    The 088 looks rough but he says it runs strong and will allow a compression test

20. LondonNeil

It's always a bit of a gamble on a used saw. I was once told ' buy the seller', i.e. if you think the seller is being straight then go with him.