Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YnbpoUCbfwA5CiGPPLf4ee81rzRMiP-VvWrVXa_vyMb0kr5cwBIIC1EEs11w2FB5anvg1pUO8RkXlge2RBBiwTuNNAftCUY_6WsNyo4KmsZrdl91OCH0mo7yqkisd63ot_ytINgGrRvmNz5GQr9bnQiKMe5faXv3Eaw2tkcrFvZmYh-Mxe6Kb2wiw2kMgT-x21K876zcD-WrmR3vdaH4S8SpUBSh9UqNOkVRyRSpJkuDIOKl5GcPqgId5JUCeH6EUUpHg5GXaI_Va-79S9qfkg7ihmL7Who2QdfZFwt_XtO6XruuhzIA05u2CcoIu1CziVj8yp7_aPTAa3TGFohr9mxu40ENeykXQY18jH6cxMMAzOxYFp3ap2_aWC_cgq0CKxgEIFQNlVgFdYv00EV0E6MPKfpdjN8i5OBHlsRIgcqB3ke95J-YR8PunmuBaLTMp3qiz7sq3kCEolYGoN-fV71rW0wPP-EHUe-8DzMsU4GEsGSmvVysJKc4EVz2v6wy-nCpj3P0SKQY6yEcFiiCpD_NgJ8reWbB6rNpuLFMRkax3WCDz_GYaDVZR6xXdAa0_dA-oMNI6TLxjZzuBWDdiWSZHPzzzWKZNugxVgrNCCZQSZJI8ETjL-WiL-BWG8r01N34pdSKgdeOp51VclDqGyeIrUvWeum0zg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Maple flavored man made snow lol
We did do a bit of walking around while we were up there , we did find a patch of hardwoods in a corner that will be worth dragging the tractor up there , at least a trailer load of hardwoods that have broken tops , leaning over or dead .
It's easy for us to get it now while the developer owns these lots but as they get sold we'd have to deal with the new property owners .

Uncle Mike, next time I go you definitely need to bring Michael and Thomas. They would love it. We'll go in the spring when the weather is warmer.

Only one little ash tree, didn't need your saws. Ran the 262xp the whole time. LOVE that saw!! Your pal did a "kick a$$" job porting it!!!

At there house I did see some other trees that may need attention. They're bark looks like locust, but they are bigger than any locusts I've ever seen. If I can talk Joe into letting me harvest them, I'll definitely give you a ring, or I'd hato buy a 32in bar...... these things are BIG

I had to unlike that so I could like that a second time LOL
I didn't get that pic off the internet. I actually have a bag of popsicle sticks in my basement. They work good for patch jobs on planes when you have unintentional contact with anything but air.

Attachments

• DSC_0363.JPG
    DSC_0363.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 19
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 20
I haven't been able to get out to the big scrounge pile. It warmed up. Then rained for 2 days. Then refroze. Then I started getting sick. Figured it would be mighty dumb of me to go play in the snow sick. Gonna be a couple weeks I think.

Yuck. No fun there.

It's my kid's birthday this weekend so family is in town. Cleaning, setup, party, cleanup again, play host. No time to hit the pile. Thankfully it's already scrounged and home, just needs to be cut to size then split and stacked. At the very least, the long chunks need to be cut to size and stacked on my racks off the ground so they don't pull any more moisture out of the ground.

My 55 gal drum air tight stove up at the cabin regularly gets some "orange glow" spots. Have no idea what the temp is.

Matt, I got a 36" B+C, and 3 28" (incl your Dad's) and 4 92 cc runners and a 710! Just don't wait till Tax Season to call!

Went to my friend Tim's today and he helped me split some more of the rounds and wheel barrow out the rest of the split wood.

Says that Chestnut Oak burns far longer than the Red Maple he has been burning. I just said "Yea"!

That stuff looks so good I want to mill some of it.

How do ye guys feel about superstitions
I have a chance to cut aleast 15+ cords that no one else will cut because of an old irish folklore
Depends on the situation. I mean if it's an old graveyard/burial area then I'd pass on it, but if it's something else and a silly story and the land owner wants it done, then get into it, me thinks. We might need more info to be of less help ;-)

*Edit* This reminds me of an interesting conversation I had with my clinical psychologist niece over the recent holiday break. We were trying to take an objective look at the silly things our culture/society does that we take as 'normal' without question, and then comparing how different cultures would consider or treat those same or similar things. Heck, we do some stoopid **** without questioning it. The conditioning is strong in all, or most, of us.

How do ye guys feel about superstitions
I have a chance to cut aleast 15+ cords that no one else will cut because of an old irish folklore

poppycock!

1. Is it legal?
2. does the owner want it done?
3. Will anyone you care about be upset?

Answer yes, yes, no? get it done.

I almost died today and didn't even have a chainsaw or gun in my hand. Shoveling the driveway. Guy lost control and slid over to the other side into my neighbors yard across the street. God drug that car to the other side of the street. Had he went off on my side (which he was already on) he would have blind sided me right in my driveway. Foreigner. In a civic. In the snow. Lesson learned. Never turn back to traffic at the end of the driveway.

Back