Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is weak. I fear tomorrow morning when she looks at it and realizes that it can't be used for my boiler wood because I cut it all 32" long. She sent me to buy a side x side and I brought this home. I have no time to ride it anyway, my Can Am Renegade just sits in the barn. Her birthday was last week, yup I never got her anything but she did say she didn't want anything. View attachment 729656 View attachment 729657 .

I got one of those two but mine came in a two piece set!!!!....
c4fcf26b1783d6064fa90189ddde55d5.jpg
f6acba725ae5077494816b34230cc3a3.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Well I got a battery put in the processor and tried it out tonight. Everything seems to work good other than the oiler pump. It pumped a half litre threw it in about 10 seconds. I assume the pump is only supposed to run when the chain is turned but it runs full out as soon as the key is turned on. I really hate buying stuff that Amish or Mennonite have owned. There is 57 hrs on the meter and not one drop of grease or oil had been put on or in anything other than the bar oiler. This machine is a prototype of the Wallenstein that they sell now. What that means is that this is the beta version. They used this as a testing grounds to make sure everything works together. So that means that grease fittings might not be in locations that are accessible, guards might be in the way or not in the proper location. Brackets for hinging parts may have extra holes in them to experiment until they work properly etc. For instance the log deck is about 2" too close to the infeed tray for the log turner to work properly, their quick fix was to take a grinder and cut a chunk of the trough out to make room for the turner rods. The for sale version would have the live deck sprockets moved back 2" for clearance. The bracket for the conveyor winch support is too light of steel and a little too low which allows splits to catch on it and 20 tons of force pushing up on the too weak bracket. The back legs never had enough adjustment for uneven ground so they welded two cranks jacks on instead( this is a plus). The log lifter on to the live deck hinge angle is a little off so I might have to drill 2 new holes about 1/2" away to make it hinge better.
But I got it for way less than half price of a new one and saved a crap load of taxes too. New price as it's set up is Can $43,000 before taxes. Everything can be fixed with some welding and some steel and whatever I need for the pump. The bearings that never had any grease of them may have a little shorter life but still fine with that. My wife was watching as I ran it for awhile and she said she could easily run it. I had a firewood buddy stop in and he is in love with it. I think I can find some paying work for it but again the time issue. This just means that my sawmill is going to be sitting there even longer without being used. Heading to another auction tomorrow morning and then back home for her side of the family pictures ( 100 Dutchmen going to be here) in the afternoon so I know she won't kill me in my sleep tonight. We went to the lawyers today to do our Will so that has me concerned a bit. She said she's had the appointment with the lawyer for weeks but last night was the 1st I've heard of it.
20190412_170238.jpg 20190412_170334.jpg

Wait. You were on assignment in 1955, its 2019, and you're out slingin saws?!

Yep, 84 lasst month. Just came in from manually splitting a couple wagon loads. That type of stuff is WHY I am still able to sling saws, mauls and sledges. I do 10+ cord a year, sell 7 or 8 and use the rest to make my "stash" of black locust last. I am about to work myself out of a cutting spot though and need to find another one - I have feelers out but no bites as yet.

I think it pretty fair to say that everyone on this thread aspires to be like you one day turnkey. You are the elder statesman of the wood scrounging thread. :)

G'day fellas,

I got after my locust scrounge today - or what I think is locust. I posted my first thread on the question of what it actually is (only 500 more threads and I can catch up to gunny). It's very yellow wood and the easiest splitting I have ever come across. Most of the work was done with the MMWS 241 and the rest with the 460. The trunks of this bifurcated tree were 22-25 inches.

13th Apr 6.jpg

I was keeping a close eye on the thorny suckers.

13th Apr 7.jpg

13th Apr 8.jpg

13th Apr 9.jpg

13th Apr 11.jpg

13th Apr 10.jpg

I took home two trailer loads and half a cube in the back of the ute on the first trip back, a little under a cord all up, with another load already cut and the big end of the bigger log still to cut.

:)

Sounds like a plan to me!

On those nice days I've been trying to fix my log hauling running gear! I was pulling doubles, snaking them through the woods, both over loaded, when the back gear rubbed on a tree and I bent the bejesus out of that corner! When we started working on it, the wheel was nearly flat on the ground!

standard.jpg

I got my wife to put the heat to it, while I was pulling on it with a come-a-long,

standard.jpg

That got it, to where I could get it to the shop,

standard.jpg

and after some more work, I used a hi lift jack to help out too,

standard.jpg

Here it is now, just about ready for some welding,

standard.jpg

It's been a lot bigger project than I thought it would be!

SR

looks 'good as new!' SR ~

Today’s scrounge. Not actually firewood but related. Bought the Echo 400 from the guy because it wouldn’t cut. Wonder why? He must have decided to “adjust” the carb to try and “fix” it, carb was way off, couldn’t even get it to start. New clutch hub, bearing, dumped old fuel, adjusted carb and it runs like new. I have $100 total in it.

well, by the looks of the clutch teeth... it sure did some running in the past! sounds like u made out like a bandit, D!

zmb.jpg

G'day fellas,

I got after my locust scrounge today - or what I thought was locust. I posted my first thread on the question of what it actually is (only 500 more threads and I can catch up to gunny). It's very yellow wood and the easiest splitting I have ever come across. Most of the work was done with the MMWS 241 and the rest with the 460. The trunks of this bifurcated tree were 22-25 inches.

View attachment 729891

I was keeping a close eye on the thorny suckers.

View attachment 729892

View attachment 729893

View attachment 729894

View attachment 729895

View attachment 729896

I took home two trailer loads and half a cube in the back of the ute on the first trip back, a little under a cord all up, with another load already cut and the big end of the bigger log still to cut.

:)

Yep, black locust for sure. I never lucked into a nice dead one. Those thorns are evil, I swear they make the branch move so they can nab you.

Well I got a battery put in the processor and tried it out tonight. Everything seems to work good other than the oiler pump. It pumped a half litre threw it in about 10 seconds. I assume the pump is only supposed to run when the chain is turned but it runs full out as soon as the key is turned on. I really hate buying stuff that Amish or Mennonite have owned. There is 57 hrs on the meter and not one drop of grease or oil had been put on or in anything other than the bar oiler. This machine is a prototype of the Wallenstein that they sell now. What that means is that this is the beta version. They used this as a testing grounds to make sure everything works together. So that means that grease fittings might not be in locations that are accessible, guards might be in the way or not in the proper location. Brackets for hinging parts may have extra holes in them to experiment until they work properly etc. For instance the log deck is about 2" too close to the infeed tray for the log turner to work properly, their quick fix was to take a grinder and cut a chunk of the trough out to make room for the turner rods. The for sale version would have the live deck sprockets moved back 2" for clearance. The bracket for the conveyor winch support is too light of steel and a little too low which allows splits to catch on it and 20 tons of force pushing up on the too weak bracket. The back legs never had enough adjustment for uneven ground so they welded two cranks jacks on instead( this is a plus). The log lifter on to the live deck hinge angle is a little off so I might have to drill 2 new holes about 1/2" away to make it hinge better.
But I got it for way less than half price of a new one and saved a crap load of taxes too. New price as it's set up is Can $43,000 before taxes. Everything can be fixed with some welding and some steel and whatever I need for the pump. The bearings that never had any grease of them may have a little shorter life but still fine with that. My wife was watching as I ran it for awhile and she said she could easily run it. I had a firewood buddy stop in and he is in love with it. I think I can find some paying work for it but again the time issue. This just means that my sawmill is going to be sitting there even longer without being used. Heading to another auction tomorrow morning and then back home for her side of the family pictures ( 100 Dutchmen going to be here) in the afternoon so I know she won't kill me in my sleep tonight. We went to the lawyers today to do our Will so that has me concerned a bit. She said she's had the appointment with the lawyer for weeks but last night was the 1st I've heard of it.
View attachment 729864 View attachment 729865

looks like 'the 'work crew' likes the new blue machine...

[="Backyard Lumberjack, post: 6868718, member: 141501"]in between rain showers and rain, sometime a bit too much... I followed up on the Scrounging Safari yesterday. here is what happened:

1) after trying to get the rain to stop, kicked up just as i was loading up... went to get a small oak branch on side of road. headed to the city's trash dump eventually, I was happy enough to repurpose that limb's inevitable destination. house next door had workers and stickers on window. permit. I walked over to look at a stump. then walked back to limb.

P9200011.JPG

2) I noticed someone walking over. had a sense of authority in gait... hmm, maybe a homeowner by looks of things? his greeting - "Hey there! what are you doing!!?" feeling confident in my reason to be there, I walked over and said, "hi, you the resident?" he was. just bought the place. I introduced myself, he was all smiles, we talked trees, etc , the neighborhood and I left with some Bonus Scrounge Stumps. 3. 14" or so x 3-4". not oak, but ok for outdoors. ie, more wood! :D

P9200012.JPG

3) he showed me his 'new' house and their plans, ideas, etc. lots of 1950's originality to it, large corner lot and a gas and woodburning fireplace, too. I liked it. then next door neighbor shows up. u looking for wood? sure, what kind u got? oak... sure. then he says to burn or turn? huh... wood turning? I say to burn. oh, no... not this... and he left. but, a neighbor even if I did not know him... so when I left I went over to say hi. we hit it off well. a fellow gear head type. and had set off his garage a small engine repair shop. [omg] mostly 2-strokes, weed wackers and saws. side line I asked? [not allowed by HOA] stutters a bit, then says no, just friends and family. :rolleyes: I mean how many of family can have saws needing service to warrant a separate shop? lol. but, nbd, we got along and I could tell I had made a new friend.

4) so I was off to get the oak limb drop. that went smooth, no interuptions. had half a trunk of firewood. no doubt a fire or two in there...

P9200023.JPG

5) went over to area park. noticed a healthy oak had a dead limb coming out of it. 3-4" at base. could fall and hurt someone, kid or... so I scrounged it out of tree and took it, leaving the two cuts I made painted out in black spray paint. bugs Rx and no trax...

P9200025.JPG P9200026.JPG

6) then I went to see another neighbor about the wood pile by back fence, but he wasn't home. saw a bunch a drop from pine tree in front yard, couple houses over. noticed some oak up by house. well, maybe I could get that... so returned and stopped to say hi. inquire. nice neighbor, once I saw his chimney I figured he prob wanted the wood. yep! but it was a swell visit... he had a full-on cabinet shop set up in an earlier addition to the house, all JET tools. killer band saw, too. and he is a professional level artist working in wood and clay. and a very good builder. was building a new shop. if only all builders built like he did. had 2 more fireplaces, masonry... and he made the molds for the bricks. std firebrick etc for the flue. a swell visit. said his friend was a tree service and oft would call him to come scrounge what he was cutting. said he'd call me... to joint venture if I wanted. he had a couple of saws. one stihl. and some huskies... one with 26' bar! could have been 28"... just ur basic homeowner saw, lol -

all that over an afternoon bike ride just for the heck of it yesterday to see if I could scrounge up some more firewood. the small engine guy had a MS 180 he bot some 20 yrs ago... carb tweak and still running strong he said. definitely a one-owner saw... in the cream puff leagues. nary a scratch on it! said it had cut a lot of wood.

scrounged some free wood, and scrounged some new friends. tired from a long day, will post up some pix tomorrow...

like the Norwegian Wood book says, 'some things do grow on trees!' lol

P9200024.JPG

the firewood stream where I scrounge in town is never-ending...

then I picked this up the other day. part of about 1/2 cord of cut wood, but only this was oak that interested me. about 1/3 of the pile was older oak, but this was old enuff. wire in the bark, but some whittlin' should cull it out just fine... I intend not to kiss any teeth, neither! ;)

P9180001.JPG

Back