Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's what black locust do too because you will get pricked by them but they are very little and the bark is all around them so you hardly see them. Gloves aren't a bad idea when handling rounds or splits.

And the thorns are only on young wood, 1 or 2 years old. I have cut a lot of it and, oddly, the 'Nitrile" gloves (3 pr for less than $4 currently at Wal Mart) are the best ones to wear when brushing one out. They are thin gloves but the thorns don't seem to penetrate as easily as a well worn pair of leather gloves.

Yes, I saw that too. I wonder when the time will come where they are not allowed to burn anything at all. All heating by electrickery, sourced from wind, solar, fairy dust and unicorn farts.

Sure, that's not on the cards.

Yet.

But who knows. Boris is pu$$y-whipped by his Green girlfriend so anything could happen.

Yes, I saw that too. I wonder when the time will come where they are not allowed to burn anything at all. All heating by electrickery, sourced from wind, solar, fairy dust and unicorn farts.

Sure, that's not on the cards.

Yet.

But who knows. Boris is pu$$y-whipped by his Green girlfriend so anything could happen.

I once read that letting wood rot in the woods returns exactly the same amount of C02 into the environment as burning it. Trees are nature's solar collectors.

Air quality is another subject. England is putting a ban on home heating with coal and wet or green firewood. This makes sense. I'm also an advocate of clean burning technology(secondary air and/or catalytic) to reduce air pollution and in some instance restriction of older stoves. I'm not always but I try to be a "good steward" of Gods creation.

Beer!??? Please give me the recipe! I have empty carboys!

Our goats loved the pods, so we raked them up and used them as supplemental feed. First we were told they were poisonous. Well, that’s true for some animals maybe, but not goats!
A guy that used to climb for us made it. He was from the mountains of NC. He was a wonder at field craft. Unfortunately he suffered from depression and killed himself.

I once read that letting wood rot in the woods returns exactly the same amount of C02 into the environment as burning it. Trees are nature's solar collectors.

Air quality is another subject. England is putting a ban on home heating with coal and wet or green firewood. This makes sense. I'm also an advocate of clean burning technology(secondary air and/or catalytic) to reduce air pollution and in some instance restriction of older stoves. I'm not always but I try to be a "good steward" of Gods creation.
W

How are they going to enforce the ban on green wood burning? Cut now burn next month for alot of wood heating people

W

How are they going to enforce the ban on green wood burning? Cut now burn next month for alot of wood heating people
Make everyone join this thread. Before they know what hit them, they will have 7 chainsaws, 4 different kinds of mauls, a hydraulic splitter and so much firewood they are trying to burn what they scrounged 3 years ago so you know it will be seasoned! Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Very interesting. My locust had been dead a fair while, maybe the white layer yellows up when no longer green?
Here's some locust that has been dead 15 years or more. A little center rot in places where limbs had broken off andwater got in.
20200224_110649.jpg 4

Here's some locust that has been dead 15 years or more. A little center rot in places where limbs had broken off andwater got in.
View attachment 801692 4
I posted this years ago, but I think it’s worth a repeat. My parents built a New house in 76. Dad had a pole barn built to keep trucks and equipment in. Due to much rain, we couldn’t get down in the lower field to dump our wood. Dad dumped several truck loads of BL on the pad where the barn was going. The barn guys were several weeks out to get started, so he thought we were good. One evening the barn guys called and said due to a cancellation they would be getting started the next day. Dad told them to just take the loader and push the wood over the hill, it would just roll down in the field anyway. We got home and they pushed it over the hill and covered it with all the left over soil from building. Fast forward 20 years, Dad retired and was moving. I was on the loader pushing piles of chips into one big pile. I hooked a chunk of BL and pulled it out of the ground. The bark fell off and it was solid. I dug up several cords, split it, and took it home. The farmers used to say BL posts would last 40 years in the ground. I know it will last 20 years.

The easiest answer to what kind of wood is this is firewood. I saved a few hickories up near the big oak. Jason just called them firewood in training.
Our favorite brew house closed up shop, so we moved up the road a mile. The new place lists their beer by types, like IPA’s, Pilsners, Dunkles. At the top of the list is:

TRAINING BEERS:
Bud Lite
Miller Lite
Colors Lite
When I saw that I laughed so hard I had IPA squirting out my nose!

Our favorite brew house closed up shop, so we moved up the road a mile. The new place lists their beer by types, like IPA’s, Pilsners, Dunkles. At the top of the list is:

TRAINING BEERS:
Bud Lite
Miller Lite
Colors Lite
When I saw that I laughed so hard I had IPA squirting out my nose!
I love a good beer but do not understand how you guys can drink that bitter ass tasting IPA! Give me a good pilsner, stout, or amber ale.

Back