Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty hoity-toity for cabin ware. Does it come with a butler?
Yeah I’m the butler too. CEO, chef, butler, maid, and every other duty. lol.

Certainly overkill for a cabin without running water or electricity but if we don’t use them there, it will be another 20 years plus before anyone uses them.

Was thinking of you yesterday while doing a bit of limb removal for a better view of Lake Michigan.
The home is built on a sand dune, it's pretty steep other than the parking and the ridge of the hill, of course none of what I have to do there is on that part lol. I was walking across the hill on a mildly steep part and my foot on the downhill side slipped off the billygoat path(actually a deer trail) and I instantly landed on the other knee still upright. It could have been bad as I was carrying my rope bag and had all my gear on, I was glad when I dropped my helmet that it stopped in a pile of brush, but if I would have fallen into that same pile it would have been quite painful!
This part was fairly east to climb up as it was clear of brush, setup in gear wasn't all that fun though.The part I need to do yet is twice as steep as it is on the right side of the picture, I'll probably set up a rope to get up and down it.

View attachment 841751
The views were great from my office, too bad I dropped my phone, I'm just glad it stopped right next to my rope bag.
View attachment 841754
Had a nice ride in this one since I had my anchor going to another tree to keep my rope clear, every time the wind would kick up over 20mph the tree would sway and up or down I would go. While it wasn't a big deal it was a surprise when you went to cut a branch and then the branch was all the sudden out of reach, then back in reach lol.
Wanna come help me with the rest :).
View attachment 841755
Wish I could come help you, would like to learn more about SRT, DRT climbing. Have mostly just done removals so just spurs and flip line. Have a couple trees here that I really need a climb line for. Glad your fall wasn’t any worse. Very nice view!

Selected a couple of the tree service locust logs for a special project today.
20200711_092232.jpg20200711_092241.jpg
Tried my skill at freehand milling.
20200711_093638.jpg
20200711_095052.jpg
Well... this is why the chainsaw mill was born. I should have been paying a little more attention to my line.
20200711_095223.jpg
So I salvaged the thick one and made another. I have use for the thin one later too. Did a little better on the second try.
20200711_134053.jpg
Time to peel the bark. Also used a chisel to smooth a few saw marks and round the edges. Trusty old wheelbarrow was my workstation.
20200711_190748.jpg
20200711_201805.jpg
Moved near the final location to see what it will look like. I'm pretty happy so far.
20200711_211603.jpg
Tomorrow I'm hoping to cut the log stringers and fit them to the new treads. The old steps are sagging and were never quite right since we bought the house. The current riser heights are something like 9.5", 7.5", and 6". Not ideal or anywhere near code.

are you really running that lr tire that low, or is that a bad camera angle????
No low tires for me, I check them often and every time I hook to a trailer they get a kick or two. I drove truck for 20yrs, and hauled heavy for about half of that and got into the habit of visually checking them every time I walked up to truck and I would switch sides at different stops just to see.
The reason it looks flat in that picture is because the picture ends there, so there is a "flat" line on the tire which corresponds to the bottom of the picture, I did a double take when I looked at it after you said something too lol.
Here's the load I brought home tonight, all tires were aired up well:cheers:.
This is the white oak root ball(and a row of rounds in the very front) from the tree at my parents, I was thinking it was around 800-900lbs, well the loader on my tractor wouldn't lift it up without hooking it behind the bucket and that only when I bounced it a good bit :oops:. Pretty sure it's over 1k(I should have known better), but I'm positive it's more than my tractor should be lifting on a normal basis.
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 11.40.38 PM.png
On the other hand, the truck rode like a dream on the way home, it liked the weight.
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 11.39.25 PM.png

Looks like a nice brick house there Joe, a bit of an unusual design.
That is a big old frame farm house built in 1906. Our friend that lives there got a price to scrape and paint it, it was about the same to brick it, so she got it bricked. If you look close you can see a straight mortar line about every 8 feet where the brick does not link together.

It’s hard to believe, but when my parents built their first house in 63, the builder asked, “brick or siding?” They said siding. He said OK, but I’d go with the brick, it’s the same price, and never needs paint. Wonder why it was so cheap back then?

Wish I could come help you, would like to learn more about SRT, DRT climbing. Have mostly just done removals so just spurs and flip line. Have a couple trees here that I really need a climb line for. Glad your fall wasn’t any worse. Very nice view!
If you could I'd teach you everything I've learned from reading and watching videos ;).
I'm glad too, that could have hurt, especially with my bag going with me and all my gear on :oops:.
I'm looking forward to going back, just not looking forward to the hill. I was told by the owners daughter that her sister just bought a home about 30min from me, it's on a big hill too and they want it cleared out for the view, I may be getting that one too. When you getting here, I know you can deal with the hills :p.

Immigrant labor? Or maybe need to wonder why siding was relatively costly? What was there for siding, how labor intensive was it to install: all hand driven nails, hand brushed primer and how many coats of paint to call the job finished?
Beets me. Both houses my parents built, in 63 and 76, the price between brick and siding was negligible. Local builder and local labor. I think it was the cost of brick back then. I know of two other farmers that bricked frame houses because it was cheaper than scraping and painting.

Beets me. Both houses my parents built, in 63 and 76, the price between brick and siding was negligible.
Not like that today! A neighbor recently built a large garage and had it faced with brick to match his house. The brickwork alone was almost what we paid for our house and lot (granted, many years ago). It is a nice look, and relatively low maintenance (tuck pointing sometimes require), but you need to be able to pay for it up front these days.

Philbert

No time for a pic. I have been burning a brush pile since Tuesday. I would take my tractor and push the pile together a couple times a day. I had put my saw in the bucket the last time I rolled the pile. Went a little while ago to roll the pile again and forgot the saw in the bucket. I pushed the pile high and rolled the bucket and backed out then saw it. Luckly it rolled off the pile out of the flames. Close call.

Peeling the stringers.
20200712_130338.jpg
Marked the bottom angle and cut.
20200712_151111.jpg
Out with the old.
20200712_153145.jpg
Temporary set to fit the treads. Will have to be cut to length when finished. A couple of screws to hold in place.
20200712_162036.jpg20200712_162846.jpg
Set a finishing nail upside down to locate the thicker side and used the floor jack to suspend the other side level above the stringer.
20200712_164552.jpg
20200712_174957.jpg
Level and scribe to finished height.
20200712_174925.jpg
Notch and fit a couple times.
20200712_175854.jpg
20200712_181005.jpg
Almost ready for step 2. Back at it after dinner.

Peeling the stringers.
View attachment 842096
Marked the bottom angle and cut.
View attachment 842076
Out with the old.
View attachment 842077
Temporary set to fit the treads. Will have to be cut to length when finished. A couple of screws to hold in place.
View attachment 842078View attachment 842083
Set a finishing nail upside down to locate the thicker side and used the floor jack to suspend the other side level above the stringer.
View attachment 842088
View attachment 842090
Level and scribe to finished height.
View attachment 842091
Notch and fit a couple times.
View attachment 842092
View attachment 842093
Almost ready for step 2. Back at it after dinner.
Nice!

Didn't quite finish.
20200712_213035.jpg20200712_213053.jpg
Think I'll pull the bottom step back an inch or so on the left side looking down.
20200712_213131.jpg
I had to do a last minute improvise, adapt, and overcome - flipped the top step end for end because it didn't have enough contact with the stringer. Now my planned lines don't look right! Back at it tomorrow after work. Adjust bottom tread, attach both treads, cut stringer to length, and attach to deck.

It's beer time!

Check out my new Stihl...shirt that is. My son bought it for me. Happy scrounging!
7129a4f699fe6048e688c4a3f828519e.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Didn't quite finish.
View attachment 842124View attachment 842125
Think I'll pull the bottom step back an inch or so on the left side looking down.
View attachment 842126
I had to do a last minute improvise, adapt, and overcome - flipped the top step end for end because it didn't have enough contact with the stringer. Now my planned lines don't look right! Back at it tomorrow after work. Adjust bottom tread, attach both treads, cut stringer to length, and attach to deck.

It's beer time!
I like it!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back