Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put brakes on my winter car and put a starter in my 72. Got tired of crappy rebuilds bought a new high torque mini starter . The one that crapped out wasnt even dirty yet . 2nd in 6 months I checked the flexplate and it's up to specs for runout and no chipped teeth either

The new one needed no shims at all .
BBE68CD9-EB0E-4928-8EC4-3A6636C96B21.jpgCE200A26-0F9E-4B24-90C5-BBD9B3C66297.jpg

Put brakes on my winter car and put a starter in my 72. Got tired of crappy rebuilds bought a new high torque mini starter . The one that crapped out wasnt even dirty yet . 2nd in 6 months I checked the flexplate and it's up to specs for runout and no chipped teeth either

View attachment 881430View attachment 881431
I burned out a reman on the first day one time lol. They did warranty it.

I burned out a reman on the first day one time lol. They did warranty it.
This is one of those "lifetime" warranty items the first one lasted about 4 months this one about a month . So what's so good about a lifetime warranty if your replacing it every 4 or so months. I returned it and got my money back .

Well I learned to read fine print tonight.

Some “Sharkbite” style fittings work on any pipe and others are PEX only. Guess who attempted to join copper tubes with a non-removable, PEX only fitting. Grr. Had to wreck the damn thing to get it off the pipe after I pumped a few gallons onto the floor.

Did a little fabricating tonight: Bought a heavy duty hinge and a 3/4” bit so I could attach the snowmobile sleigh to the receiver hitch on the new wheeler. Trimmed off the hinge with the cut off wheel, opened up the middle hole to 3/8 and rounded off the corners with the grinding wheel.

The first Dewalt bit I bought from the hardware store was $37.99....youch. I went to Menards and got one for $17.99 and returned the unopened Dewalt.

6066A57D-80A8-47AF-8976-1B46BC39E563.jpeg

Some “Sharkbite” style fittings work on any pipe and others are PEX only. Guess who attempted to join copper tubes with a non-removable, PEX only fitting. Grr. Had to wreck the damn thing to get it off the pipe after I pumped a few gallons onto the floor.
You used an EvoPex fitting? Those are hard to find in most places.

Thought you would have all (seasoned) cast iron pipe!

Philbert

You used an EvoPex fitting? Those are hard to find in most places.
Yes it was. Never seen one before. I had my wife grab it when she was in town and to her credit, she got exactly what I asked for. I was in a hurry to slap it together when she got home and didn’t see the fine print.

Ran the last round of the seasons harvest through the splitter and sstacked. You might know that it had to be the most knotyk cross grained round I had done in three days. Basically just splintered it and added to the uglies. Raked up the area and added to the fire pile, parked and tarped the splitter.

Next job is to haul a big rick, around 1.5 - 2 cord, from where it is to anohter area. Need to move it to get at around 8 or more cord of Black locust rounds. I cut that pile around 2001. If the weather keeps cooperating I will split/pile that 'somewhere'. I don't have any open space around the fence anymore and piling away from the fence complicates teh mowing.
Nice thing about the black locust is it will last a long time :clap:.
Glad you're feeling well enough to do all that :).

Might be a collector item, lol. I could be wrong but I don't think they make the e in bigger than a 20 anymore. Assuming it's the standard e with no replaceable tip.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I guess I better stop using it then, it's in very good condition. I have a brand new 24"(25" in "stihl speak" lol) down in the basement too.

I like the 24" E bar ... low cost, light and good balance (no heavy tip), and a yellow (wider) tip than the 20" "Green" E bars!

They don't make them any more, but some are still in inventory.
They are great for all that, as long as you know how to use them without blowing the tips open. I blew up an Oregon replaceable tip bar a while ago making a bore cut :dumb:. I wonder what the tip shop is like on the e bar, I made a bore cut with it in that same piece of elm right after sharpening the chain and hitting the rakers with the husky progressive style raker guide. Usually the RS chains are a bit grabby when I do them like that, it was smooth as could be, especially for how hard that wood is.
The good thing is I have it in my inventory :).

Always refer to wood in quarters. I Never say 1inch and half or 2 inch slabs
When I bought stuff by the quarter it was pretty expensive :cool::popcorn2::havingarest:.

View attachment 881430View attachment 881431
I liked those hi-torque units on the engines I did up as well as on vehicles where the starter got hot.
Another trick I did before learning bout them was to hook a switch up to my coil hot wire to turn the coil off while turning the engine over, then once it was spinning you turn it on, and bambino's she'd fire right up.

Did a little fabricating tonight: Bought a heavy duty hinge and a 3/4” bit so I could attach the snowmobile sleigh to the receiver hitch on the new wheeler. Trimmed off the hinge with the cut off wheel, opened up the middle hole to 3/8 and rounded off the corners with the grinding wheel.
I was expecting to see that bit welded onto the pto of a saw :p.
Will the sled hook to the hinge?

I always say the lessons that cost us the most :envy:, are the ones we are the slowest to forget :surprised3:.
Glad you got it working, it really stinks when you go to work on plumbing and it's like 3 different types of pipe/tube, and it's not any more fun trying find the fittings at the big box stores to use :rare2:.

I was expecting to see that bit welded onto the pto of a saw :p.
Will the sled hook to the hinge?

I always say the lessons that cost us the most :envy:, are the ones we are the slowest to forget :surprised3:.
Glad you got it working, it really stinks when you go to work on plumbing and it's like 3 different types of pipe/tube, and it's not any more fun trying find the fittings at the big box stores to use :rare2:.
Hot water not working yet. Need to buy the right fitting tomorrow.

The sleigh hitch attaches to the end hole on the hinge.

I should explain. The plumbing issues I’m having are in our guest house which is a one bedroom cabin plus sauna and dressing room. It’s never been heated in the winter before (the building is somewhere around 62 years old). My son wanted to stay out there this winter and since we are a bit short on bedrooms in the main house, it works out. We ran a heated RV/garden hose under the deck today as the main water line out there freezes when temps get around 10 degrees. The issues I’ve had are a result of me taking apart OLD cast iron plumbing to bypass the main as well as finding a poorly sweated/soldered copper joint that started to leak as a result of the pipes being moved slightly. The good news is my son has cold water so he can use the toilet and sink, he just needs to shower in the main house. If I had been working on this during the day, during the week, I’d have had it fixed in a couple of hours. Working on stuff/breaking stuff after hours means a trip to the store on the way to work then revisit after work again.

98F28D6B-6571-4CCC-8774-E5465EF6CDE1.jpeg

Nice thing about the black locust is it will last a long time :clap:.
Glad you're feeling well enough to do all that :).

If I can stand to move around aabout and hour, the pain goes away and I can walk and work normally. Of course my 'normal' workday is only around 3 hours...or was last season, Looking forward to about mid March to see how it goes using a chainsaw.

Back