Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrounged up 2*10 kg sacks (2* 22lb sacks for the non metric ified) of coalite smokeless coal. Both my stoves are multifuel so I can burn coal. Normally I wouldn't, it's dirty polluting and a release of carbon sequestered billions of years ago..... And more costly than mains gas. But when a neighbor is moving and getting rid.... Well someone's going to burn it, may as well be me.
Scrounging coal is a whole different thread. Jeez keep it on topic! You know we only deal with the following topics: wood, saws, craft beer, the best handload for sending a gophers head thru his azz at 600 yards, maple syrup, tractors, trucks, trailers, woodworking, cast iron, motorcycles and muscle cars, fishing....Did I miss anything? Lol!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Scrounging coal is a whole different thread. Jeez keep it on topic! You know we only deal with the following topics: wood, saws, craft beer, the best handload for sending a gophers head thru his azz at 600 yards, maple syrup, tractors, trucks, trailers, woodworking, cast iron, motorcycles and muscle cars, fishing....Did I miss anything? Lol!

Tractors, carts/wagons come to mind lol

Whiskey

Kinda. I used to get wood from a tree service on a regular occasion. They have grown and I can't always be on site like I used to be. the tree service pays a guy to dump wood on his property. The tree service introduced us about a year ago and I can basically go out there any time I want. It is becoming a freaking mess. The landowner can't keep up with burning the wood and it is starting to get out of control. It is not easy trying to burn 20-48" logs, some of them very green. Some of the stuff is HUGE!!!

Yes, there is a lot of wood there; silver maple, elm, walnut, pecan, yellow pine, ginkgo, hackberry, red oak, white oak, ash, mulberry, sycamore, sweet gum. The landowner bought a skid steer to deal with it. I think he is passed what a skid steer will do and needs a dozer or an excavator with a thumb. Pictures don't do it justice.
That's awesome.
Maybe you need to start working with him to process some of the wood onsite and make some cash.

I was literally looking at OEM tanks for $100, low top OEM covers for $50,$90 NIB carb to replace the offshore carb on there now......it would never end.
Thanks for the words of wisdom
That is cool about the 288, there is pretty good parts availability even though its an older saw.
Welcome, glad you find it helpful :cheers: .

My middle son turns 15 today. Locally made, thick cut bacon stole the show this morning. It’s so good!

That's awesome!! My son turned 15 last month. Just since last wrestling season finished (end of March) he has added 3" of height and almost 40lbs. Bacon has been a contributing factor for sure. Just this weekend he was counting up the amount of protein he is getting in his diet. He has gotten into the power side of weight lifting big time. He is as frustrating to deal with as he is awesome. Love this age.

Shea

Wanted to show this before and after pic. One of two oaks and that fell on a person's property this year, that I sorta got. The one pictured was fairly solid. We cut up some of the stuff and brought it home. The biggest stuff was still sitting on private property beside the road. It's sat there, with the landowners permission, for the last couple months due to my dump trailer delivery date continually being pushed back. This weekend a family member told me the rest of it has been taken.....the biggest pieces!! Those chunks are almost 3' in diameter and about 4' long. Most of that wood was taken. I hate a thief. Hope they don't realize I marked where the metal is.

Shea

Attachments

• IMG_20201102_162609072_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201102_162609072_HDR.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201107_163704086_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201107_163704086_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 15
Wanted to show this before and after pic. One of two oaks and that fell on a person's property this year, that I sorta got. The one pictured was fairly solid. We cut up some of the stuff and brought it home. The biggest stuff was still sitting on private property beside the road. It's sat there, with the landowners permission, for the last couple months due to my dump trailer delivery date continually being pushed back. This weekend a family member told me the rest of it has been taken.....the biggest pieces!! Those chunks are almost 3' in diameter and about 4' long. Most of that wood was taken. I hate a thief. Hope they don't realize I marked where the metal is.

Shea
wouldnt you just love to hold their hand,,and bust their fingers????????? filthy thieves......

You can't leave cut up wood just lying around for ever, it's guaranteed to grow legs eventually. It does suck though, especially after you put in all the hard work.

Over here, the land between a landowner's front fence and the road is not theirs - it is road reserve and under the authority of the state roads entity (outside town limits). Officially they frown upon roadside scrounging due to the potential for accidents to occur but in practice, as long as you're well off the road, if wood disappears then it is one less thing they have to deal with. In town, it is the shire's problem. On the roadside in our shire, they typically cut up fallen timber and leave it for whoever wants it, first come, first served.

Sometimes things just work out well. I was down at the "Dead Ash Hole" this morning. The only trees I have left are over a small spring fed creek. I can usually drop them, hook a chain to the trunk, and my BIL pulls the whole tree across the creek out in the field for me. He couldn't help today. We dropped one 30" Ash, and had to clean the dead brush out of the way to back up and load wood. I started a brush fire next to the creek and got rid of the brush. My buddy had a full load on his Ram, but I only had one row on the 10' dump. The tree I wanted has a 2X6 nailed across it, to another Ash, for a shooting rest, so I had to cut above that. The one I wanted was about 90', and at about 60' had two leads. Only problem, there was a bigger Ash to the left, but leaning in front of my tree. It looked like if I threw it straight at the leaning tree it would just slide down the back side into the field, but all the dead brush would land right on the gravel bridge going into the other field. I made my notch and started the back cut. As it started to hinge I turned and walked away a few steps. I turned back just in time to see my big straight tree hit the leaner right where the two big leads were. Instead of sliding down the back of the leaner, the two big leads snapped off and swung back under the leaner, then the whole leaner up rooted and fell across the brush from the snapped off top. All of the trunk wood was up off the ground so it was easy to get to and cut. The big straight tree fell across the creek and 20' of it was sticking up hill about 6' off the ground making it easy to cut. I wound up with 6 rows on the trailer, if split that would be a cord and a half. I'm home kicking back. That old 660 sure works me now a days, even though it only has the 25" bar.
SzLpjtX.jpg

qFSwKV4.jpg

Back