Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spring is officially here I think. Raining all day so far. Decent temps though not as warm as yesterday. Yard has turned to mud lol. But my little apple tree has buds so I'm glad it made it through winter. I'm ready to take the plow and blower off the tractors and get the dirt plow back on and start the garden. Snow Is going fast.

Bottom of the woods is pretty flooded from all the snow melting off. Took Binford and my spud bar down, plant was to roll this 20' black cherry log up into some ash cookies to get it off the ground. Yeah, wasn't happening. LOL

Ended up taking a stroll with the wife through the woods looking for sheds. None found, hoping to check again when it's a little drier.

At least I got to run Binford for a few ;)

That was my best walleye fishing spot. Fished there for 30 years and before yesterday I had never been skunked. First time for everything I guess.

We are at -8 right now and this could potentially be the last subzero night of the winter. Our lowest low in the ten day forecast is 18.
Warmer here this week too.
Today they are saying a high of 29(even though it's 31 out now lol), then the rest of the week is high 30's to mid 40's :havingarest: .
Gonna haul some smaller splits in so it's easier to maintain the stove at a lower temp/to start it when I let it go out. I should have quite a bit left over in this years side of the wood shed. I'll check the splitting are to see how wet it is today, splitting to commence sometime in the near future, hope to get a lot done before the heavy spring rains.

Today they are saying a high of 29(even though it's 31 out now lol), then the rest of the week is high 30's to mid 40's :havingarest: .
Gonna haul some smaller splits in so it's easier to maintain the stove at a lower temp/to start it when I let it go out. I should have quite a bit left over in this years side of the wood shed. I'll check the splitting are to see how wet it is today, splitting to commence sometime in the near future, hope to get a lot done before the heavy spring rains.

Good luck. I'm hoping I can get down in the woods soon to get this one ash log bucked/split, and maybe skid a few more logs over. But, either the ground will need to freeze again (doubtful), or we we need it to be dry until about mid April (finger crossed).

March is coming quickly and the weather is warmer so I tapped some of our maple's today. Our wood processing area is turning into a mud pit, another good sign of spring. I still have over 5 cord in the wood shed and more just tossed into a pile, thats a good start for next year.
I just tapped mine too. Well most anyways a few had 4 ft drifts around them . So 10 out of the 15 I normally do ,in the second pick the other holes are from sapsuckers1600DD4B-12CE-4447-9E6C-E8B0E38A146E.jpeg33918F64-C1C2-4868-BCE4-61FCD865CB32.jpeg9437BB77-D3CD-42D6-81C2-7353889C46CC.jpeg

Here in SE PA we just had 1½" of rain and temps in the upper 30's for the weekend, and that is deteriorating our snow cover. It's just too sloppy for me to move wood now. Scout and I took our first morning hike of March 2021 and reset my game camera. Maybe a good morning to work on the taxes????

IMG_8950.jpg

19* here it athe moment with a strong NW wind. It's a cold sob today, but it's supposed to warm back up in a couple days. No snow to speak of on the horizon, so it's time to go topless. I will leave the snow tires on for a couple more weeks however, just in case.

Attachments

• 20210301_105634.jpg
    20210301_105634.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 13
19* here it athe moment with a strong NW wind. It's a cold sob today, but it's supposed to warm back up in a couple days. No snow to speak of on the horizon, so it's time to go topless. I will leave the snow tires on for a couple more weeks however, just in case.
I was just thinking about popping the topper off my plow truck and putting on the back rack from my old plow truck.

Hey Jay, I thought you had pipes up the side of that thing :p.
I did get that package, thanks:cheers:. I already paid it forward a couple times:happy:.

Good luck. I'm hoping I can get down in the woods soon to get this one ash log bucked/split, and maybe skid a few more logs over. But, either the ground will need to freeze again (doubtful), or we we need it to be dry until about mid April (finger crossed).
I bet it will be pretty mucky down there. Maybe in the morning tomorrow you could snag something, but looking at the forecast it's gonna be a while.
Went to take the trash out and the splitter was calling my name, all I meant to do was to check out how soft the ground is over there. I ended up getting it fired up after about 30-40 pulls and priming it about 100 times, it's not a Honda gx series, that's for sure :rare2:. But even after the aerobic workout starting it I still had the endurance to split 3 nice sized locust rounds, probably about half a bucket on the little tractor:chop:. I may go do a bit more since the sun is shining and I've heard that's when you're supposed to make splits or hay, something like that lol.

scrounged up some good wood other day. just too hard to pass it up. only couple hses down the street! out on curb. ez haul in... not exactly sure what i will use it for, maybe another firewood pile rack... or a new base for Mr Brutus... maybe landscape border. wood was a tree house... couple loads of it.
P1010030.JPG

I took my XL apart yesterday, last time up the clutch was slipping. It was oily inside, and there’s a lip in the cup (back side of the sprocket). Meaning it has wear. I already ordered one, I didn’t order the clutch itself. It’s still a good little saw, I want to keep it running.

scrounged up some good wood other day. just too hard to pass it up. only couple hses down the street! out on curb. ez haul in... not exactly sure what i will use it for, maybe another firewood pile rack... or a new base for Mr Brutus... maybe landscape border. wood was a tree house... couple loads of it.
View attachment 892672
Saw the photo and thought this was another 'firewood cutting rack' / 'bucking table' post!

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bucking-table-ideas.349939/
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/firewood-cutting-rack.323188/
Philbert

Seems to be warming up here to, or at least the constant rain and grey has gone and we've had some good dry and sunny weather, yay!! My swamp of a rear garden has even dried enough that I can walk on it a little without totally wrecking it. So I spent some time Saturday stacking the oak I've split, probably stacked 2/3rds which was about 1/3 of a cord. The better weather and lighter evenings have really improved my mood, this winter had been a mental **** turd, covid bites in many ways. I'm so glad spring is clearly coming.

Back