Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our twice-a-year, mandatory company meeting is in 3 weeks. The county health department will be on scene to administer the Johnson and Johnson vaccine to anyone who signs up. The company is offering $250 a head for anyone who gets it, and is giving a voucher for all the employees who have already participated and can provide proof of vaccination. I have not added my name to the list yet, but most likely will.

I can’t wait to get the vaccine. My wife’s a nurse and already had her two shots. We’re going to Puerto Rico in June for our late honeymoon and think it would be a lot easier if we both have proof of vaccination. She’s not foaming at the mouth or anything so I’m not too worried

Our twice-a-year, mandatory company meeting is in 3 weeks. The county health department will be on scene to administer the Johnson and Johnson vaccine to anyone who signs up. The company is offering $250 a head for anyone who gets it, and is giving a voucher for all the employees who have already participated and can provide proof of vaccination. I have not added my name to the list yet, but most likely will.
250 bucks is a nice sum.

Your employer must be getting kickbacks directly from Bill Gates to be able to provide that much loot to each of you. ;)

Just gonna leave this here
82aa5a9320d8cdb4f82667e4af3829f8.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Got my cedar posts peeled and drying.
20210411_161931.jpgNow I have a couple standing dead cedars to grab and I will have all the posts I need to make some decent fence corners for our orchard. When I built the fence I used t-posts for the corners and 5 years later the the corners are sagging in. I knew it was going to happen but I had to get the fence up to keep the deer off my trees.
I have a love hate relationship with deer. I love eating them but hate the damage they do around my house and all the dang ticks they drag into the yard.

Well It looks like I did it again. I put a price on my boat and the guy said he would take it. Havent seen any money yet, so there is still hope. I was wanting to build a new shed to park my boat under so I could free up my shop. The guy came to give me a price on building the shed and we got to talking boats. I told him if he bought the boat, I wouldnt need a new shed. His reply was priceless, "Shecht, I would rather be fishing than working anyways". LOL

Well today is sure a wet one... got soaked inspecting rides. Doubt I'll be doing any real outdoor work at home tonight. Last night I ran and picked up some pressure treat to make my wife a flower bed. Wow, lumber has gone nuts in price. Needed 4 2x4x8, 4 2x6x8, and 2 2x6x10. Nearly $100.00. Almost puked. I've been putting this project off for years and she got stuff to plant in it the other day, so I kinda had to get it done. Wish I would have made it a wile ago now. Oh well such is life.
You guys will appreciate this. Had my brother in law call yesterday evening. Said he needed a blade for his saw. Told him I didnt have any blades, but i may have chains that will fit. (He didnt get it lol) I asked hin what size bar he had on it, the pitch, and gauge? He said "it's an echo cs490 and the blade measures 16 3/4" long." I said "so it's got an 18" bar?" He said no it measures 16 3/4" long, but he was at lowes and didnt have the saw in front of him. (At this point I was rolling my eyes) looked up what should have been on it, and let him know 72 driver links, .325 pitch and .050 gauge. He kept saying they didnt have it in echo brand, so he would have to come back later. Tried explaining that the brand didnt matter so much as long as everything else matched up. (Bang head on wall) finally my sister in law grabbed the phone from him, asked what they needed, I told her. She said is husqvarna brand ok? I said yes it will work. Took her 30 seconds to find the chain, I was on the phone with him for 17 minuets. Told my wife after I got off the phone and she thought it was funny as heck. At least he got his new chain lol.
The auction I went to a couple weeks ago had two steel strapped stacks of used 2X4's. You could tell some one tore a house down or was doing major renovation. You could tell they were wall studs because each one had two nail holes in the ends and they were trimmed 3's to make 8' walls. on the good side, since they came out of a house, they were pretty much acclimated, and each one was straight as an arrow. 143, in one pile and 147 in the other. The catalogue had them listed as bid X147, and bid X 143. That was $1148 dollars for a bunch of used 2X4's, final bid was $7 each. The same guy bought both piles.

Welcome to the dahk side!

250 bucks is a nice sum.

Your employer must be getting kickbacks directly from Bill Gates to be able to provide that much loot to each of you. ;)
Not sure about Bill Gates, but I'd bet our health ins. provide is throwing a few bucks in the hat.

The auction I went to a couple weeks ago had two steel strapped stacks of used 2X4's. You could tell some one tore a house down or was doing major renovation. You could tell they were wall studs because each one had two nail holes in the ends and they were trimmed 3's to make 8' walls. on the good side, since they came out of a house, they were pretty much acclimated, and each one was straight as an arrow. 143, in one pile and 147 in the other. The catalogue had them listed as bid X147, and bid X 143. That was $1148 dollars for a bunch of used 2X4's, final bid was $7 each. The same guy bought both piles.
What the fock is this world coming too??

I know, right? "Drink the Kool-Aid and we'll give you $250!"
Screw that.
Half of our drivers, most of the mechanics and all of the office staff have had their shots. Everyone is fine. Most of my family has also had it with no ill effects. I can't see a reason to hold out any longer, but to each his own.

Half of our drivers, most of the mechanics and all of the office staff have had their shots. Everyone is fine. Most of my family has also had it with no ill effects. I can't see a reason to hold out any longer, but to each his own.
Hey man, that's cool. Do what you gotta do. I'm sure we'll both be fine.

Hey man, that's cool. Do what you gotta do. I'm sure we'll both be fine.
yep sure man, it's all a big conspiracy. 500k+ people have died in the US but it's all fake right? Everyone has a smartphone these days and access to social media but the virus is all a fallacy. Jeez, just give it a break already. It's also not just about you, it's about the greater good but Americans seem to have forgotten that concept. It's all about "me." America the Selfish. Off my soap box, just freaking irritated with stupidity.

The catalogue had them listed as bid X147, and bid X 143. That was $1148 dollars for a bunch of used 2X4's, final bid was $7 each. The same guy bought both piles.

Maybe economic anomalies have artificially made new lumber 'too cheap' and disposal of construction debris also 'too cheap'? Maybe some of this will balance out? I hate to see so much waste. Don't want to pay $7 for a used 2x4, but glad to see more materials being recycled / reused.

Philbert

When I built the fence I used t-posts for the corners
Remembering when I was a neophyte in the world of fence I hesitate to comment. But your fence corner will not serve or survive on the strength of a T-post. I saw a trailer load of salvaged utility poles recently and commented to a friend how those were valuable for corner posts during my years in Ag and cattle. For corners you need large diameter posts, and beyond that you need bracing, usually incorporating wire and either diagonal or crosswise posts between the corner and its first neighboring post.

Your peeled cedar looks good. You're on your way to corner posts that will serve.

Lee, that's how I used to build them. It's hard to see in the photo, but seems like the diagonal wire is present (on the left side it looks visible). You need the wire from the base of the corner diagonally up to top of the next post to secure the arrangement. We would double up the wire, then use a short length of wood to twist it up tight, which pulls the top of the 2nd post tight to the horizontal post. Hope I've described that to make it understandable. I used to also drive a heavy nail into each post (and cut the head off), then drill a hole into each end of the horizontal brace to receive the nail, which keeps the brace from wandering from position.

Building a proper corner post is no quick and easy thing. But done right it'll last.

yep sure man, it's all a big conspiracy. 500k+ people have died in the US but it's all fake right? Everyone has a smartphone these days and access to social media but the virus is all a fallacy. Jeez, just give it a break already. It's also not just about you, it's about the greater good but Americans seem to have forgotten that concept. It's all about "me." America the Selfish. Off my soap box, just freaking irritated with stupidity.
What does a conspiracy have to do with anything, does someone need to be a conspiracy theorist to believe that the 500k is a pumped up number. Who ever said it was fake.
Do you know how they were labeling c19 "deaths".

Let's talk science.
They were testing for c19 using a polymerase chain reaction (PCR test), which was never designed to be used to diagnose, per Kary Mullis the inventor of it and the same guy who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1993 for it.
Did you know that when the US was going to start testing the PCR tests that were coming into the US that over 50 companies stop supplying them to the US.

Funny, now the WHO has something to say about the PCR tests, while they are making those doing the testing into billionaires.
https://www.theepochtimes.com/who-c...dium=email&utm_campaign=breaking-2021-01-23-2

Back