Scrounging with a Forester?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now my 02 Forester is my daily driver. In the rear of my Forester I have a cargo mat and a dog cage/partition for my GSD (Frank). I also have a 4x8 HF Trailer that is a true work horse that's paid for itself MANY times over! Problem is, the tow hitch on Subaru's can only handle 200lb tongue weight. I've done a lot more than that (hauling stones, mulch, etc.) for short trips but I don't like pushing it since I rely on it.

I plan to start going out on Sundays and looking to scrounge fallen trees on public land/road sides/(and with the owner's permission) private property. I figure I'll use the thicker limbs and trunk and just section them on site then split when I get home. Just want to see if I should take the trailer from the start or try to just use the cargo area of my Forester.

Does anyone use a wagon or small SUV to scrounge wood? Is it useful or just not enough room to haul with?

Thanks

-Emt1581

As I said a more stout hitch and you can tow a great deal.. In this example its a 2 horse trailer.. about 1,100 lbs per horse.. it can be done..

8108d1189768911-wondering-what-you-guys-tow-backup-fran-iig-dator-3400.jpg

In MN it seems most Subarus are owned by members of the LGBT community (not joking). I have a friend of a friend who sold her Subaru because she was constantly approached by other women asking her out and she was already married to a man.

LOL! My moms got a new Forester and I raz her continuously about "switching teams" !

I couldn't imagine scrounging the 7-10 cord a year I work up using a daily driver car with 900 lbs. cargo and 1,500 lbs. tow capacity.

LOL! My moms got a new Forester and I raz her continuously about "switching teams" !

I couldn't imagine scrounging the 7-10 cord a year I work up using a daily driver car with 900 lbs. cargo and 1,500 lbs. tow capacity.
I know a few men who drive foresters. But a green outback wagon is a different story.

In MN it seems most Subarus are owned by members of the LGBT community (not joking). I have a friend of a friend who sold her Subaru because she was constantly approached by other women asking her out and she was already married to a man.
It's just a vehicle and there are many reasons to own one. They are practical vehicles, at least until you have to work on one (or pay someone else to). Around here Subarus seem to be owned either by kids who hop them up, or by people who are afraid to drive in general and especially in poor conditions. And then when driving conditions do turn bad the Subaru isn't nearly enough to make up for their incompetence and they make a problem of themselves.

Usually if I get behind a Subaru and it doesn't have a 6" fart cannon on the back I know I'm going to be late!

As I said a more stout hitch and you can tow a great deal.. In this example its a 2 horse trailer.. about 1,100 lbs per horse.. it can be done..

Holy crap!! I'm shocked you haven't torn your back end out with such a load! If it works for you, that's great but I've felt my 02 chug when it had way too much weight on/behind it.

-Emt1581

My wife and I have been driving Subaru's since we were teenagers. Not once have either one of us has had anyone "approach" us looking for a date and while I'm no prize to look at, my wife sure as hell is!

-Emt1581

My wife and I have been driving Subaru's since we were teenagers. Not once have either one of us has had anyone "approach" us looking for a date and while I'm no prize to look at, my wife sure as hell is!

-Emt1581
If you are up for a road trip over here I can all but guarantee that will change for your wife.

Usually if I get behind a Subaru and it doesn't have a 6" fart cannon on the back I know I'm going to be late!

Boy if that isn't the truth!!!

Not always but most often if it's got the fart can, tinted windows and stickers on it....you're good. If it's stock, it's usually an old lady wearing a knit hat who can barely see over the wheel. I guess Subaru's are the new Oldsmobile to that generation.

-Emt1581

It's just a vehicle and there are many reasons to own one. They are practical vehicles, at least until you have to work on one (or pay someone else to). Around here Subarus seem to be owned either by kids who hop them up, or by people who are afraid to drive in general and especially in poor conditions. And then when driving conditions do turn bad the Subaru isn't nearly enough to make up for their incompetence and they make a problem of themselves.

I don't disagree they are very useful. Like I said in all seriousness that they are almost solely owned by a certain group over here. Nothing against the vehicle or any group.

Holy crap!! I'm shocked you haven't torn your back end out with such a load! If it works for you, that's great but I've felt my 02 chug when it had way too much weight on/behind it.

-Emt1581
Seems risky putting 3x the weight the vehicle was designed to haul behinds it..especially when the cargo is alive.

Have you considered just renting a truck when you need to haul wood?

-Emt1581
Tore my back end? :D That is a pic taken in Germany and it quite common place. Electric brakes help as well. I think you will find this is common in the Eu and the UK as well.

Seems risky putting 3x the weight the vehicle was designed to haul behinds it..especially when the cargo is alive.

Have you considered just renting a truck when you need to haul wood?

I would not have been able to have the trailer TUV inspected/passed/plated if the car was not capable of towing that load. The specs are different in the EU and North America IIRC

I would not have been able to have the trailer TUV inspected/passed/plated if the car was not capable of towing that load. The specs are different in the EU and North America IIRC

I seem to remember that being the case...that Subaru built the vehicles differently in different countries. No clue why.

-Emt1581

I have looked into this and found the cars are the same, it is the hitch that is different. The hitch for my Tiguan bolts onto the rear bumper but in Germany it is mounted to the frame of the car, THIS makes a huge difference. IF you can get pics and specs of the EU trailer a talented fabricator can make you one up and ease your worries. But saying all that just load to your limit and live to scavenge another day!

Where I am from only vermonters and lesbians have Subaru Foresters. Call 'em Lesbarus.

I seem to remember that being the case...that Subaru built the vehicles differently in different countries. No clue why.

-Emt1581

From what I understand in the EU there is a lower speed limit for trailers and they also require brakes on smaller trailers then the US does, so towing capacities are comparatively higher. I think you can also get a towing package in the EU and Australia for Subarus as well.

Where I am from only vermonters and lesbians have Subaru Foresters. Call 'em Lesbarus.

From what I understand in the EU there is a lower speed limit for trailers and they also require brakes on smaller trailers then the US does, so towing capacities are comparatively higher. I think you can also get a towing package in the EU and Australia for Subarus as well.

I saw no speed limit restriction on the autobahn for such trailers. that is an audi a3, 1.8T 2 horses about 1500 pounds each..

1.jpg

electric or inertia brakes are standard. But I do believe with the right towing package many people can urban scrounge quite easily and safely.

Latest posts

Back