MS 201 TCM Any Good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooneyPilot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Back here after a long absence and had to sign up with a different user name since my email address has changed. Did some climbing and cutting probably ten years ago and got good information and dialogue here.

NOW I am involved with a voluntary disaster relief organization and spend time deployed on a chain saw crew. Just got back from South Texas doing clean up of the Laura aftermath. Probably going back in a week or so.

We have a trailer full of LARGE Husqvarna chain saws, a few pole saws and various other gear. We have a skid steer with a grapple, so we Usually cut and move to the road. The crew is a great bunch of guys with their heart in the right place, but they’ve never done any arborist type work, and they insist on cutting everything with saws that are better suited for work in a redwood forest. There is lots of ground limbing involved and none of them seem to understand that they don’t have to carry around a twenty pound plus saw to do it. As a result there are no limbing saws and these guys are too macho to resort to one. As a result they haven’t bought one and put it in the trailer. Since I would rather use my own saws anyway, I want to get a top handle to have for limbing work. We also will be getting a man lift, so a limbing saw would be ideal for that. I’m getting too old to haul around a heavy saw for light work. I used an MS192T quite a lot when I was climbing and doing other work, but ended up giving it to my son when the need for it went away. I want to buy a GOOD limbing saw and have no problem laying out the money for an MS200 series, but now I have read some bad reports about the current iteration, the MS201TCM.

I am reading that it had problems in the heat. Most of our work is after tornados and hurricanes, so guess what? It’s hot. Also, I am wanting to use a 16” bar.

I would appreciate any feedback and experience sharing that you guys might be able to offer. Even if it involves recommending a different brand. I like Stihl, but I am not opposed to a different brand if it’s light, powerful and dependable.

I know it’s my first post here under this name, but I’m not a hacker, honest!

I read a thread about the Motronic that indicates that it could be that some of the problems experienced could have been bad or incorrect fuel. I hope that someone will share their experience even if it is with another Stihl model with Motronics, or whatever it’s called. If this saw is dependable, this is what I want to buy for my work.

I got an email indicating that Stihl86 replied to this thread, but I’m not seeing it. Nevertheless I appreciate the reply.

Thanks Lone Wolf, but I will also be using it in a bucket so I really want a Top Handle, I will keep this one in mind in case I can buy two.

The MS 201TCM is a great saw. Most of the previous fuel solenoid issues are long gone. I live in Illinois, so i don't know about how they work in the Texas heat. In my opinion the 200T was and will always be the best top handle ever made. Id message Lone Wolf to see if he has a used one for sale before i bought a new 201. Like I mentioned, the 201tcm is a great saw. The 200T is perfection.

Latest posts

Back