Stihl 201 TCM vs Echo 355T Tophandle Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimberBusinessman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an Echo 355t that has been an amazing climbing/tophandle saw. It has a ton of power, and is relatively light and it can easily pull a 16" bar. I liked it, but recently the handle broke when the bar got jammed in a log, and I initially unsuccessfully tried to free it by pulling on it. I'm considering getting another saw, and was looking into either getting another 355T, or getting a Stihl 201 TCM. Everyone pretty much dislikes the electronic carburetor with the Stihl, and it costs more than twice the Echo. But is there more metal and less fragile plastic on the Stihl? What's your guys opinion on the two models?

The stihl is constructed much better than the echo but like stated it is probably twice as much. Also the new 201tc are actually really good the mtronic has been updated from previous models. Supposedly the new 201s make more power than the older 200s. I own an echo top handle and they have their place but definitely not as sturdy as the stihl, any stihl for that matter, 194, 201, etc.

Nothing wrong with a 355t. Used to have one and a 361p.. sold them both to other companies. Now have both 201 models. A little better acceleration, feels sturdier, a bit more power.

Any saw with a sharp chain will cut wood, any saw that doesn't start 40 ft in a tree will piss you off to no end. Both are capable of both.

My 201 wasn't starting that well 2 weeks ago during a heat wave, potentially vapor lock issues, but its been a great saw otherwise. I do like my 201s and 200s.

Curiosity is the only reason I sold my echos for stihl 201s. Thats an ok reason for some.

Don't worry much about the crankcase being plastic on the echo vs 201. Its some of the echos with weak plastic in the handle that are the issue. You rarely hear people say "I broke my plastic crankcase again", but routinely hear, "I broke the handle, or tore the av mounts when pinched, or worse intake boot".

I say fix your 355t and get a 201.

Latest posts

Back