Help Stihl 201 tcm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all good news put a new lower fuel line on the saw and it's now a gusher.But the winner was the solenoid. Put it on and 2 pulls later no more head ache. RUNS great so I want to thank the people that helped.Thanks every one!

It was 48.28 but I bought it off ebay because the dealer had to order and it would take longer.It cost about a dollar more.The dealer ordered one the same day and still doesn't have it.I have another saw that needs one so I will get it from the dealer.It will probably be a green one.

Hi I have 2 stihl tcm saws that belong to a tree service. Both were dropped or thrown from a bucket truck (I heard today one was thrown against a barn because it wasn't running right.)Sadly it's my job to fix them.I put a new top handle on it with wiring,new air filter and air filter cover. When I tried to crank it it ran and died over and over. I Thought it might be the carb so I took the carb of the other saw and put it on this one. It wouldn't even pop so I put the original carb back on it and nothing.So my question is did I screw something up in the coil.
The MS201T was already defective from day 1. There wasn't a mass recall but what did happen is that people returned them to the Stihl shop and were able to buy an upgrade kit for US$22. It contained a new carby, ignition module and ignition wheel. That's how defective these saws were, they weren't cutting properly or were cutting with minimal power.

One job affected how the branch landed, and it took out a fence, and that customer fired me. After I fitted the upgrade kit it ran like a proper saw, like an original ms200, no problem ever since. In your situation do you know whether this kit was fitted? If it wasn't my guess is that you're going to end up changing every single last part till it works properly.

What pissed me off about this recall, it that the Stihl shop I otherwise had gone to, the women was profiteering and greedy and refused to provide the $22 kit, instead forced people to pay $300 to have this kit fitted.

They were very defective, I threw mine out of a tree in frustration and had to fix the handle.

Hi I don't think either of these saws had ever been touched before got them.One of them had a white solenoid in it the other had a black one in it.The solenoid I just bought is green, which is the latest.The last saw cranked and ran on the second pull after it got the new solenoid.I can only hope I'm that lucky with the second.The dealer told me that probably 9 out of 10 of the black ones failed. So yes when these saws first came out they had problems.The saw I'm working on now was ran over by a truck.I have already changed the top handle and the coil.Just waiting on the solenoid Then we will see.

The MS201T was already defective from day 1. There wasn't a mass recall but what did happen is that people returned them to the Stihl shop and were able to buy an upgrade kit for US$22. It contained a new carby, ignition module and ignition wheel. That's how defective these saws were, they weren't cutting properly or were cutting with minimal power.

One job affected how the branch landed, and it took out a fence, and that customer fired me. After I fitted the upgrade kit it ran like a proper saw, like an original ms200, no problem ever since. In your situation do you know whether this kit was fitted? If it wasn't my guess is that you're going to end up changing every single last part till it works properly.

What pissed me off about this recall, it that the Stihl shop I otherwise had gone to, the women was profiteering and greedy and refused to provide the $22 kit, instead forced people to pay $300 to have this kit fitted.

They were very defective, I threw mine out of a tree in frustration and had to fix the handle.
That was only on the early non-mtronic versions.
mtronic version did not have that issue.
if the dealer would not provide the $22. Kit-you should have called Stihl head office-they would have not let them do that Or at very least go to another dealer, I’m pretty sure Perth has more than 1 Stihl dealer.

1.Change the solenoid. If that doesn't work...
2.Change the solenoid again. If that doesn't work see #1

Almost all the TC issues I've had were solved with a wiring harness replacing or an new solenoid and a RESET OF THE NEW SOLENOID.
well...just stumbled on to this post as I was searching for hints to replace the coil on a 201t...because the 201TCM on my bench now was NOT fixed with a replacement Solenoid... I am here to eat my own words... ha.
This one has me stumped....a parts a swappin we will go>
Symptoms are starts and runs well... will NOT allow a solenoid reset....then will only run with throttle at full setting. will NOT idle...then stalls and only starts on "Choke"
At full throttle runs perfect. These are new to me symptoms.
My bets are 50/50 coil Vs carb...

well...just stumbled on to this post as I was searching for hints to replace the coil on a 201t...because the 201TCM on my bench now was NOT fixed with a replacement Solenoid... I am here to eat my own words... ha.
This one has me stumped....a parts a swappin we will go>
Symptoms are starts and runs well... will NOT allow a solenoid reset....then will only run with throttle at full setting. will NOT idle...then stalls and only starts on "Choke"
At full throttle runs perfect. These are new to me symptoms.
My bets are 50/50 coil Vs carb...
If it runs at all the wiring harness is likely O.K. as I believe that it checks for this.

Based on symptoms it sounds like you have a massive air leak that the Mtronic can't compensate for. If you could plug it into a dealers computer it might show that. This would also explain why a Mtronic reset won't work either.

If it runs at all the wiring harness is likely O.K. as I believe that it checks for this.

Based on symptoms it sounds like you have a massive air leak that the Mtronic can't compensate for. If you could plug it into a dealers computer it might show that. This would also explain why a Mtronic reset won't work either.
So as usual with these damn things...you get like a dog on a bone. I tried to swap coils with my known runner and found that they are MUCH harder to swap then 200t. Coil wires DON'T twist out. they are hard conected. Anyway I decided to swap carbs as they are MUCH easier...( 50/50 chances)
Problem solved.
1st bad Mtron carb for me.

So as usual with these damn things...you get like a dog on a bone. I tried to swap coils with my known runner and found that they are MUCH harder to swap then 200t. Coil wires DON'T twist out. they are hard conected. Anyway I decided to swap carbs as they are MUCH easier...( 50/50 chances)
Problem solved.
1st bad Mtron carb for me.
Sounds like the low speed circuit is plugged. It is, after all, just a carburetor. Can you access it with carb cleaner to verify? Never played with an Mtronic carb.

I don't usually fark with these carbs as it doesn't usually get me anywhere. I guess I will just for chits and giggles....
There are two holes in the bottom of that well the solenoid plugs in. I guess it's possible one of those could get stopped up. If the screen was stopped up that would effect the high side as well.

Back