"Seasoned" firewood logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been cutting some logs of soft maple, mulberry, cherry, and sassafrass for the past few weeks that have been down for 2+ years. Most of these logs are under 14" in diameter. The ones that were not touching the ground are ready to burn - especially the mulberry, so much that I'm shocked

I have had the opposite experience with Mulberry. If I leave it in the round and don't split it, it can sit for a couple of years with ends that are weathered and splitting on the ends but if you crack one open it will peg a moister meter up to the high 20s to the low 30s.

I have had the opposite experience with Mulberry. If I leave it in the round and don't split it, it can sit for a couple of years with ends that are weathered and splitting on the ends but if you crack one open it will peg a moister meter up to the high 20s to the low 30s.
Has the diameter mattered? Most of these are under 14". Also, these were not in contact with the ground. We're yours? Interesting we've had such different experiences.

Agree it is odd. Mulberry around here does not grow really big so my experience has been with the trunk pieces probably 14" to 20" stored off the ground on wood pellets. I will say that even the smaller pieces in the round say 8" to 12" were still not what I would consider prime dry firewood. Dry enough to burn but still a touch wet for me.

Back