Septic company vs 250 year old Beech on historic property- Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mary D

Reaction score
Just bought historic home on the National register, and Septic system was included and contracted by previous owner.
Yesterday, The septic company dug a trench 6 feet from my pre revolutionary war beech tree with a trunk circumference of approx 25 feet around. I am very worried and don’t know what to do. Local arborist closed until Monday, and trench will be closed by then. Looked like it’s mostly feeder roots but this tree is a treasure and I will do whatever is needed to keep it around. When I look up root treatments all I see is root killer products.
Please send any ideas you may have to save this piece of history. Thanks in advance.

Going to be hard on an old tree. Arborist won't need to look in the trench, just where was it and how deep. Beech are sensitive trees and don't like root disturbances, trenching and equipment running over the root area. Proper cultural practices will be needed, fertilization twice a year (spring and fall) proper watering (not lawn watering of every day), soak it (an inch of water or so) then repeat every week or so depending on soil type and weather.

I'd hold off on fertilization unless you know something is deficient. Soil test, and if there are nutrients that are low, then, yes fertilize.

It MAY be worth considering treating with growth regulator (Cambistat) as this increase fine root development.

Is the tree high and dry or low and soaked? If its got decent drainage a layer of organic mulch can't hurt and if they ran over the root area likely aeration in that area can help. The mulch can actually benefit aeration after the worm beds get going as well. I'm with ATH on the fertilization if this tree is pre revolutionary war it is likely the soil is ideal.

Not that I know of. I would guess to bury again quickly.
Okay yes likely wet down mist. I really have not had much underground experience other than proper planting feathering hole etc. I do understand pruning them to clean cuts to reduce nematode or other infection though. I've cut a few circling roots but most of my calls are removal based!

Back