Sharpening 3/8" .043 Gauge Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

This is the super narrow gauge used on small homeowner saws. Sthil calls it PMM3 chain. As Stihl doesn't even sell a sharpening kit for it I am wondering if this stuff is throw-away or if it can be machine or hand sharpened.

If this is sharpenable I would like to find a file guide kit. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Bit off question but recommend upgrading the b & c to the .050 gauge. The bar is better and the chain cutters, rivets and straps all stronger. Chain stays sharper longer. When I picked up a little MS 170, dealer upgraded nc
985ed8621375cb223217cf783bfb9d73.jpg
d1a1e717a9f3f69c6b983be10f46b525.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Bit off question but recommend upgrading the b & c to the .050 gauge. The bar is better and the chain cutters, rivets and straps all stronger. Chain stays sharper longer. When I picked up a little MS 170, dealer upgraded nc
985ed8621375cb223217cf783bfb9d73.jpg
d1a1e717a9f3f69c6b983be10f46b525.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Is that mini chain as dull as it looks? Or am I seeing things?

Hell no it can Be sharpened.....I hate doing it in the Oregon grinder because the drive links are so damn thin they catch the rails.....

It’s super simple to grind/hand-file though...usually the chains are 12”-16” long so it’s an easy $6 a loop for me!!!

I second upgrading to an .050 3/8 Picco.

I sharpen the .043 on Oregon 511 and Stihl USG with the 1/8" wheel for those who may be wondering about machine grinding them. I would say it is not ideal but there seems to be no difference from the factory sharpening in performance.

They may not have an 043 filing kit as they don't have too. Kits are made for pitch not gauge so what you need is the 3/8picco kit which works for both 043/050 chain. It may be a narrow kerf design and if your saw/pole saw is low output, it may be the faster option. While I switched all my pole saws & top handles to 050, I did it for simplicity and the ability for different units to be able to use each others B's&C's. I also bought a bunch of cheap 050 chain. However I was VERY impressed with how well the narrow kerf 043 cut on pole saws, it was very efficient.

I have 043 chain on a MS150T. I would never even consider swapping to 38LP as the saw has nowhere near the power to run it. I use a 5/32 file and an Oregon file guide. It works perfectly after the first sharpening. I switched from Stihl to a chain I bought from Bailey's. I think it was an Oregon chain.

Sthil calls it PMM3 chain. As Stihl doesn't even sell a sharpening kit for it

I have the Oregon 3/8, low profile, narrow kerf, 0.043 gauge chain (Type 90) that came on a pole saw. It called for a 4.5mm diameter file (about 11/64"), while the regular 3/8, low profile, 0.050 gauge chain (Type 91) calls for a 5/32" diameter file. This made no sense to me - why would the 'smaller' chain use a 'larger' file?

An Oregon rep explained to me that they are different chains. As much as we might want to call one just the narrow kerf version of the other, the cutters have different profiles. He said that I could use the 1/8" wheel or the 5/32" file if that was all that was available, but that it would not be optimal.

I took the extra effort to get an Oregon 4.5mm filing kit (Oregon 4.5mm Chain Saw Filing Guide 31692) and was very impressed how well that chain cut, and how well it held up! Sharpening was no different than any other chain. I would not change it for a large kerf chain on that saw - it would just add more drag.

I can't tell you that the STIHL cutters are the same or different than the Oregon ones. Too bad the STIHL website does not specify:
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/pmmc3/

I was VERY impressed with how well the narrow kerf 043 cut on pole saws, it was very efficient.
See? He agrees!

Philbert

I can't tell you that the STIHL cutters are the same or different than the Oregon ones. Too bad the STIHL website does not specify:
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/pmmc3/

The Stihl picco chains in 3/8 (61pmm3,63pm,63ps,63pm3,63ps3) and the 0.050 gauge 1/4 pitch (rm13) all use a 5/32 file. And the same simple guide the file snaps into(Oregon) or attaches via threaded curved wires(stihl). The file size is on the package of Stihl chain if you buy some retail or the sheets that come with rolls they expect to go into the boxes that come with the roll. I like that chain, it makes a lot less chips than the 63 class picco. I do not expect a lot of sharpenings out of it, lower the depth gauges once near it's end before getting trashed.

Latest posts

Back