Sharpening Square Chisel With 3-Corner File

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I did a lot of searching and only got frustrated. I can find lots of illustrations of square filing using a double bevel file, but none showing the 3-corner filing technique. The only reason I got the 3-corner file was because I couldn't find a double bevel one. Can anyone help? I have gotten the round filing down and want to move on to square. I'm a very fast learner, just ask anyone on here that knows me. A couple of pics and some practice is all I need.

You got the 3 corner file like baileys sells right? If so square filing is the same as the double bevel.

The one they have is actually 6 sides. I think they're harder to use and keep good angles with.

The six-sided ones are the ones you want; keep the small face against the side plate and the long face under the top plate. I apologize for this pic showing the file held by a File-N-Joint, but it shows the angles pretty well:

DSCN1512.jpg

I seen some kind of square filing instructions posted just a day or two ago. They had lots of info and pics. Maybe you can find it.

I have been wanting to try it too. I usually catch things pretty quick also. I still have the pics in my head, just need to get the file and chain to try it.

Who sells the best square chain? Sorry for hijack. :cheers:

If you are using a grinder, Stihl has the best chain, it is harder and holds an edge better. If you file, go with Oregon. It is softer, making it much easier to file.

Wanna learn to square file? Practice, practice and practice some more and while you are practicing, watch for all three angles that need to be lined up to coincide with each other.

I did a lot of searching and only got frustrated. I can find lots of illustrations of square filing using a double bevel file, but none showing the 3-corner filing technique. The only reason I got the 3-corner file was because I couldn't find a double bevel one. Can anyone help? I have gotten the round filing down and want to move on to square. I'm a very fast learner, just ask anyone on here that knows me. A couple of pics and some practice is all I need.

Hey Virginia neighbor...There is quite a bit of discussion and some links in this thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/168650.htm

I don't know how to square file yet.
Bu it looks like you hit the nail on the head.
Nice job.

I'd rep ya but can't.

Lee

Last edited:
That looks real good from the picture. It should cut nice.

I had worn out a couple of files before getting a round ground to look that good, and that was with a square ground to look at and pratice on.

Thanks guys! When I finish sharpening the rest of the teeth I will try and make a video of some cuts with it. Can I use this same file on .404?

Yes the same file can be used on .404" chain. I think it will cut good the way it looks.

Well I went out to the garage again last night and practiced converting a round ground chain over to square ground using my newly aquired file. Here is what I come up with. What do yall think?

DSC02995.jpg

DSC02997.jpg

I'm no expert but to me it looks like you don't have the upward angle you need for a properly done square filing. Here is a pic I took of the teeth on my sq grind.

attachment.php

While it doesn't have the angle perfect(It looks closer to 30* VS maybe 45* or so), it does look like it'll work. Another thing to note is the angle of incident also seems to be more aggressive as well. Is that 404 or 3/8? I am curious to see how that tip holds up. That is a very aggressive tip. Now go and file the back of your rakers a bit to slim them up. Notice how much slimmer they are on the Oregon chain? That should be a pretty speedy chain.

As for me, I hit a nail in that Fir last week and absolutely destroyed half the cutters on that square grind I was sharpening in that video. I am simply gonna go have it ground to round today. It looks like way too much work to grind it back to square by hand, and no one locally has a square grinder.

I'm no expert but to me it looks like you don't have the upward angle you need for a properly done square filing. Here is a pic I took of the teeth on my sq grind.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back