Show me your firewood storage/shed/rack......please :-)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 465714 Hey guys looking at one more end of the season outdoor project(sure others will come up).
Looking for more ideas for a woodshed/tractor storage.
You can see in the picture my basic plan. 24X16 door on the 24 side with the slope going to the back.
3 "bays; 2 on the sides that are 6x16 for wood and one 12x16 in the middle for my tractor.
I figure I can bring the wood into the center larger bay if I choose to.
I will have bracing on the center six post for front to back movement and on the outside corners for side to side rigidity.
Thinking about 2x6's for the side bays (except the front and back fascia/rim joist?).
2x8's for the center bay.
All three bays will be built separate from each other. The center will be built on the post, and the sides will be built on the ground and lifted into place. This will allow me to nail the center boards and save a few bucks on joist hangers.
The roof will be vinyl sign material unless some steel comes my way for cheap.
Any suggestions or advice.
Thanks Guys.

Stretch some shade cloth or landscape fabric or chicken wire or something across the roof first, then the billboard tarps. Will help to stop the development of sag puddles.

I get a feeling you're going to have a mess.

Can't find any steel? Slabwood from a sawmill?
Good feeling gone, your out lol.
Come on man. I live in the USA and I'm proud of it. The land where dreams come true.
Besides i have a homelite chain saw with a powerstroke in it:chainsaw: and the Internet nothing can stop me:muscle:
Well at least not one guy who says it'll be a mess.
Thanks for reminding me i have a pile of seasoned white oak from the mill.
If thats not enough I'll grab the homelite and my chainsaw mill from downstairs :happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana:20151105_093134.jpg

Ok, but with the proper amount of sag I won't need gutters. I gotta save up for my new roof remember.

The only reason I'm not trying to do the roof is I pay cash for everything I can.
I can find lots of steel, but want it done right. I know I can get the structure done before it gets nastier than I want to be building in. Just figured I'd try to do one more outdoor project this yr.

The pictures are the last buildings I built. I went a little more contemporary on the kids play house I like them to fit in to the surroundings and not look like something just thrown up in a hurry (even if it was).IMAG0315.jpgIMAG0325.jpg

Here's the spot I cleared and filled with a gravel like mix this summer. I got what I could do done this summer in between clearing the woods for another drive and leveling a couple other areas. I also cleared a nice area around the front of our property to plant some pines for a fence row. That planting will be a spring project.
I have a line of 2x2's across the back of where the woodshed will be.
I have debated taking the two large black locust trees out. As long as I don't hit any large roots digging for the post I will leave them for now.

20151201_114515.jpg

IMG_20151120_143052971_zpsweqt6ban.jpg

That's a tall boy for size comparison.

Ok, but with the proper amount of sag I won't need gutters. I gotta save up for my new roof remember.

The only reason I'm not trying to do the roof is I pay cash for everything I can.
I can find lots of steel, but want it done right. I know I can get the structure done before it gets nastier than I want to be building in. Just figured I'd try to do one more outdoor project this yr.

The pictures are the last buildings I built. I went a little more contemporary on the kids play house I like them to fit in to the surroundings and not look like something just thrown up in a hurry (even if it was).View attachment 465882View attachment 465884
That is awesome!

That is awesome!
I got the back 4 holes dug tonight, so I'm 1/3 done with that portion of the job.
Would have got more done, but I cleaned my stove and pipe for the first time in 3 seasons. Kinda like brushing your teeth, once a month wether they need it or not.
One regular sized dust pan of creosote and thats it.
Good prep work makes all the difference.

They are calling for rain her tomorrow, which everyone knows is just how it goes after you do any foundation work or are planning on concrete.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow weather permitting.

Got 6 holes dug out of the 12. The back 4 and the center 2.
Laid out the six center holes.
Once the 2 front center holes are dug I plan to frame up the center bay.
Then lay out the front 4 holes so everything is square.

Frame the other 2 bays up.
At that point I will be able to determine what will set it off in the location it's in and with the slope of the roof, and tweak it to add my own preferences in relation to the trees grade and so on.
Its a lot like whittling a squirrel except in reverse , you just cut of everything that doesn't look like a squirrel. I will build until it looks like "my woodshed"20151202_152142.jpg

Just make sure you have a lot of glow plug realys on hand if it's an older Powerstroke. My 95 would eat them like candy..:D
Thats really not a problem. When they put the Bullydog chip in I also had them install a block heater, it was hard to see in the other pictures. 20151202_174947.jpg

Stretch some shade cloth or landscape fabric or chicken wire or something across the roof first, then the billboard tarps. Will help to stop the development of sag puddles.
Hey zogger, you won't believe what I found behind my shed in the metal pile.
A couple partial rolls of the heavier guage fencing. It's the stuff that has the rectangle holes in it. I figure it would probably be enough for the center bay at least if I can't find any steel before the snow flies.

Hey Hedgerow where are you and your buddy SteveSS at. I posted some pictures of my mess. Hope to have it cleaned up soon:).
My bad, I see you stopped by already.
Still looking for constructive criticism.
Thanks.
Keep going..
I'm jealous of the dirt from your post holes..
You gonna have to hurry to beat the snow!

Keep going..
I'm jealous of the dirt from your post holes..
You gonna have to hurry to beat the snow!
The first part was easy, that being the fill dirt I put in this summer. Then hit the hard black clay that sucked, but was only about 8" thick. Then the nice easy stuff on top mixed with rocks and roots. I forgot about the 14" tree I took out. I had the Kubota in to the axles and had to use the bucket to push out. I did have my turf tires on the front. 20150319_153514.jpg View attachment 466277 20150319_153549.jpg

Back