Show me your firewood storage/shed/rack......please :-)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't cut black locust for wood very often, we use it for fence posts, way more valuable that way. I see the big black ants fairly regularly in the honey locust. But I don't see the worms in it like I do with hickory.

Sent from my etchasketch thingy.
The ones we got are to big for fence post, maybe light poles:clap:. This one was a leaner I jerked out of the ground a couple weeks ago.
20151107_123454.jpg

You can cut them shorter...and if too big around, we either get them cut at a sawmill, or split them with wedges after cut to length.

We were getting 1 post to split, then 1 good corner, 1 good brace, and maybe 2-3 line posts per pole on some we were cutting last year.

You can cut them shorter...and if too big around, we either get them cut at a sawmill, or split them with wedges after cut to length.

We were getting 1 post to split, then 1 good corner, 1 good brace, and maybe 2-3 line posts per pole on some we were cutting last year.
Nice, I have seen them just put into the ground round. What your saying makes good sense, you don't get any better fencing material here.

I made a little progress on the woodshed today. I put spacers up for the facia and installed the facia on one end. I built out part of the front roof/overhang and also installed one of the 4 braces for it.

I have ran into many small problems with the layout since I decided I wanted to put sides on it that I had to work through.

I got my gear out to remove some overhead branches but I will not get to it for a while. Yes I should have done those first, but I wanted the post in the ground befor the weather changed and the main structure completed first. They are not to big and should be easy to throw out of the way, just that the landing zone is not directly under them.20151209_163118.jpg20151209_163155.jpg20151209_164444.jpg20151209_164510.jpg20151209_164529.jpg

20151210_094000.jpg 20151210_175407.jpg Officially got the main roof done:happybanana:.
Also finished the front overhang and all but one piece of facia that is on the back corner.
The front facia was a pain in the butt because I am changing materials from the front roof(overhang) to the back.
I had to drop the front joist to make up the difference of the osb that will be under the rusted corrugated steel I want on the front.
I also had to re-cut the facia on the front sides because of the 2x4 behind the facia that will support the bottom of the osb. That was a bummer because I wasted a nice piece of white oak. All the facia is white oak from the mill I had ordered for my trailer that was the wrong length(thanks hedgerow for the suggestion).
I get a feeling you're going to have a mess.

Can't find any steel? Slabwood from a sawmill?

Please send pics when done..

:laugh:
I'll post the pictures in a minute from my phone.

Little more done today on the woodshed. The main thing I managed to get done is the bracing for the front overhang/roof.
I have never done bracing by actually notching the post. It was not easy with my cheap circular saw, and the little ms192, but I got it done. I can see some benefits to the way it will hold even if the screw I put in the brace does not hold, because the brace is resting on the notch in the post. I probably should have googled how to do this before doing it as I'm sure I could have picked up some tricks.

I was also able to caulk the holes in the sheet metal roof thanks to the warm weather. It was all bought used and had a good amount of holes that would not line up, for the price I'm very happy caulking a few holes:envy:.
20151211_145818.jpg

Sweet. What if any other than dramatic effect are the extended tails/facia for. Looks like they have shingles on them so no plans for removing them?
Spent all your extra change on the timberwolf:p.

yes just want to make it look a little cleaner. also I have a 16" overhang to keep it as dry as possible around the perimeter

Yes just wantedto make look a little cleaner. Also i

yes just want to make it look a little cleaner. also I have a 16" overhang to keep it as dry as possible around the perimeter
I love to see used materials repurposed.
All my out buildings have a mixture of old and new.

I installed the plywood on the front today. The whole thing was out of square so I pulled the front bottom over about 1/2" with a ratchet strap on the tree in front and a 2x8 attached to one of the joist on the overhang. .Screwed the first sheet on and it was all set.
Maybe I will install the ice and water shield later today. Taking it easy today.
The weather is pretty poor outside and not particularly excited about being out in it:baba:.
Here's another picture for you all.20151212_153520.jpg

Coming along nicely. That plywood looks a lot like OSB to me.
Thanks Oldman47.
Yes, you are correct.
OSB, or oriented strand board:p.
Maybe I should have said sheeting, then someone would have asked what the thread count is:laugh:.
Has that nasty weather got to you yet over on that side of the big lake.

20151217_112524.jpg
Please send pics when done..

:laugh:
Looks like you guys had a great time, and you've been a bit busy.

Will be posting another picture in a minute. I managed to get the ice and water shield on the overhang Tuesday late at night. So it's finished until I find some rusted steel for the overhang :).
Now I just need to split some wood to put in it:chop:.

Indoor, garage
1-1/2 conduit
2x4's with receiver holes anchored to the floor and ceiling
push the poles up through the ceiling, then set them into the plank on the floor.
holds about 3 cord
fence wire stretched between to hold the poles from bowing
wheel the cart (23x36) to the back door, load up, then send it through the house and back home
stove handles 23" logs. If it won't fit the cart, it won't come in.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 32
wood shelter

Here's a couple pics of what's used to store my garage firewood. The long side serves as a fence. Roll up tarps keep out inclement weather.
Oct2110001.jpg

Oct2110002.jpg
hello, i love your shed..Particularly the roll up tarps.I have price these and theyre not cheap.Would you be able to describe the rope and pulley setup? i read your post, and i would love to do this exact setup..thanks for the great post

I hope im not double sending this.I love your wood shed, especially the roll up tarps.Would you be able to describe the pulley/rope setup, maybe a pic? I would love to do this at my house....tired of wet firewood!

Back