Side work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguy020

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I work for one of the big three tree companies and want to do some side work on the weekends. I would be doing most of my work in another area. My question is do I need a license to do work if I advertise in the paper? How much money can you make without paying taxes? I am not looking to make thousands of dollars, just enough to have a little green in my pocket instead of the lint. Let me know what you think.

Most cities/towns require a liscence, bond, and insurance, and I think you are supposed to claim any income you make and pay taxes on it. The taxes paid would be offset by your expenses. I wouldn't even attempt it without a liability policy.

treeguy020 said:
Hey guys, I work for one of the big three tree companies and want to do some side work on the weekends. I would be doing most of my work in another area. My question is do I need a license to do work if I advertise in the paper? How much money can you make without paying taxes? I am not looking to make thousands of dollars, just enough to have a little green in my pocket instead of the lint. Let me know what you think.
Better watch out, Treeco ratted out Asplundh guys for doing side jobs with company equipment and others for working without permits, it is all here look in search, he is a RAT. And proud of it, there must be more like him out there. Done lots of side jobs, called buzz jobs here, nothing wrong with stuffing cash in your jeans. And yes, you will make thousands of dollars, it all adds up. Good luck to you, get personal insurance at the very least.

I would not do ANY work on the side without carrying insurance. One little slip up is all it takes, and you think you're poor now?

I would also hesitate to advertise overtly unless you're looking to get canned. Most of the larger companies take a dim view of their employees moonlighting.

clearance said:
Better watch out, Treeco ratted out Asplundh guys for doing side jobs with company equipment and others for working without permits

Good for him! Nice to see there are still some honorable people out there. :)

BlueRidgeMark said:
Good for him! Nice to see there are still some honorable people out there. :)
Another rat, great, how many tree guys out there have never done a side job for cash? Have any of you ever worked all day res. or utility and had a homeowner come over and say "can you cut down this tree for me?". "Yes ma'am, as soon as we are done here, go to the bank machine and get $200" Everyone has done it, don't lie. Mark, are you a treeguy or just a busybody that should be minding your own business?

I say it's up to you, but you should probably get insurance at the very least.

It would also be a little easier to swallow if you were using your own equipment, doing the work on your own time and in a different area than your employer.

Thanks for all the great advice. By the way I will not be using any of my employers equipment. I am on my own insurance, so that is not a problem. Getting liability insurance is not a bad idea (thanks footer). If you think of anything else please post.

yes

treeguy020 said:
oh h*ll yeah is what i think , i was'nt part of the big three so please advise. your time is your own. lots o folks cant handle the big corps prices. one spot i sold for if the job was too expensive or the folks were seniors or just sticker shocked i would give the name of one of our climbers who would do it on weekends we would give him the # and tell the folks they would be dealing with him direct, when i was in line clearance we put dudes on the road 4 days out, we would encourage them to stay another night for buzzys hell we even let them roll a bucket if they couldnt climb. every little bit helps out and let me tell you those gentlemen went to lengths to show thier appreciation ya got take care of each other no one else is gonna do it. if your young and your face shows it carry a big policy it will be expensive but if you get high end clients they wont care where your from, heck they want you to screw up so they can get to your juicy fat policy. rule one of buzzys you dont talk about buzzys because you dont do them rule two dont talk about buzzys. i mean to anyone in your organization and that goes for anyone in your truck tommorow or anyone holding your rope, if they come with you on a buzzy explain the rules and tell them if it ever comes up you will continue under stress with rule #1. its your life live the dream.

buzzing

clearance said:
Another rat, great, how many tree guys out there have never done a side job for cash? Have any of you ever worked all day res. or utility and had a homeowner come over and say "can you cut down this tree for me?". "Yes ma'am, as soon as we are done here, go to the bank machine and get $200" Everyone has done it, don't lie. Mark, are you a treeguy or just a busybody that should be minding your own business?
but your really buzzing when you do it right then and you roll the machine across the street

clearance said:
Better watch out, Treeco ratted out Asplundh guys for doing side jobs with company equipment and others for working without permits, it is all here look in search, he is a RAT.

TreeCo is a freakin' *$#&, he was when I was here a few years back and I see he still is. Hey TreeCo, I do buzz work every weekend...in your area, wanna come nark us out? Bring it!
treeguy020: Just do the jobs.

TreeCo said:
Yeah man where you at this weekend?
There you go User dude, put him through the self feeder and all the guys doing buzz jobs can rest easy.

TreeCo said:
Clearance only a fool would make such a suggestion. Keep going and you will have your buddy talking to the police.
Joking tool, why would buddy be going to the police? You are the rat and proud of it, you would be like Huggy Bear off Starsky and Hutch or Angel from the Rockford Files if you were on tv.

if you really want to use company equipment sucker in your superior that a good $$$ will come his way,after youve used the equipment give him nothing he wont be able to do a thing.:greenchainsaw:

a_lopa said:
if you really want to use company equipment sucker in your superior that a good $$$ will come his way,after youve used the equipment give him nothing he wont be able to do a thing.:greenchainsaw:
Not cool.

Carry liab ins. Pay taxes....

In some cases just carrying ins. makes you more legit than a lot of guys.

I briefly worked for a small time guy who wanted me to sign a non compete clause. I just do word of mouth, friends and family work. As far as I'm concerned I have to be very well taken care of to sign a non compete clause.

Oh, and buy the way as far as N.A.R.C.S, I am getting darn close to ratting out insuransless bastards that take deposits and perform deplorable work with out an arborist licence.

Here in ct you need to be licensed to do anything but take downs, I worked damn hard to get that license and take pride in my work. I don't appreciate hacks making us all look bad.
It's not a money thing.

if my guys ever do a side job with my equipment w/o my consent. they are fired on the spot. that's borderline stealing!

they also are not to start their own side business. My reasoning is I allowed it. One of my guys actually starting handing his side job business cards to my customers and their neighbors. Also fired. It goes you are either with me or without me, there is no middle.

Back