Slide hammer seal removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A recent thread on seal removal motivated me to put together this post. It helped that I recently got a basic camcorder but I'm still learning its ins and outs.

Here are the tools I use:

Slide hammer, etc.jpg

I like the control the stubby hammer provides. The slide hammer is from HF, hard for them to screw up something so basic. The screw is the oft recommended sheetrock screw. I usually toss them after 1 or 2 uses - you want the first 1/4 inch of threads to be sharp.

The video shows the PTO side, but the FW side is done similarly. I did a video of that removal as well, but my video skills (or lack thereof) left something to be desired in keeping the work area in the field of view.

Although I still would love to own a Stihl seal puller 'cause they're just so darn sexy, with this method I no longer have any apprehension about removing seals. The hardest part is keeping the screw in the puller while operating the the slide - I'm a bit of a klutz at times as the vid demonstrates.

(Edit: Attempt (successful, I hope) to reload video.)

I use that same HF slide hammer for pulling seals. For the really small seals that don't have much meat to get into with a screw, I tried modifying the small rounded single hook in the slide hammer set. Ground most of the rounded area away. Got it shaped just right to get under the metal lip of the seal body................and promptly busted the hook right off with the first pulling attempt. The metal that hook was made from just couldn't hold up when ground down that thin. Oh well. The 'slotted hook' end still works fine with a sheetrock screw. I'm still experimenting with homebrew attachments for the slidehammer for use with those small/thin seals.

I use that same HF slide hammer for pulling seals. For the really small seals that don't have much meat to get into with a screw, I tried modifying the small rounded single hook in the slide hammer set. Ground most of the rounded area away. Got it shaped just right to get under the metal lip of the seal body................and promptly busted the hook right off with the first pulling attempt. The metal that hook was made from just couldn't hold up when ground down that thin. Oh well. The 'slotted hook' end still works fine with a sheetrock screw. I'm still experimenting with homebrew attachments for the slidehammer for use with those small/thin seals.

A small slot screwdriver shaft is what I make mine from, heat it until just red hot, hammer form a roll over 90 deg bend in its tip, don`t quench it, let it cool slowly. Then file to the proper shape to fit even the really small seals on the 026 Stihl flywheel side.I have pulled more than 50 seals with my screwdriver shaft puller with out bending or breaking it.

A small slot screwdriver shaft is what I make mine from, heat it until just red hot, hammer form a roll over 90 deg bend in its tip, don`t quench it, let it cool slowly. Then file to the proper shape to fit even the really small seals on the 026 Stihl flywheel side.I have pulled more than 50 seals with my screwdriver shaft puller with out bending or breaking it.

I tried that with a small screwdriver shaft..........but rolled it a bit too far over. Snapped. Will try again.

I'm going to give that another shot for the really small seals. My first attempt ended up much like Aaron's. While the screw has worked on 026 & 046 FW seals, I get nervous with the screw so close to the crankshaft and (of greater concern) the sealing surface of the case. I'd feel better sliding a hook under the lip on those little buggers. Can you post a pic of the business end of your modified tool? TIA.

I bought a cheap slide hammer from somewhere intended to be used for body work. It has a sort of collet on the end to secure a sheet metal screw with in intent that you drill a small hole in the dent, insert the screw, and pop the dent out. I never used it for that purpose but it does work slick for pulling seals.

Mark

I'm going to give that another shot for the really small seals. My first attempt ended up much like Aaron's. While the screw has worked on 026 & 046 FW seals, I get nervous with the screw so close to the crankshaft and (of greater concern) the sealing surface of the case. I'd feel better sliding a hook under the lip on those little buggers. Can you post a pic of the business end of your modified tool? TIA.

Somehow I missed your post back when this thread was active. I will post a pict of the tools I made and use for seal pulling.

Pic please.

My guess is that the punch is used to start a small hole in the metal part of the seal for the drywall screw to get started.

I agree that the center punch in the picture is probable used for that. I had read on other threads that people sometimes tapped the seal with a standard punch in order to loosen it. I was wondering if that was necessary with the slide hammer approach. I guess the act of center punching it accomplishes the same thing.

I can remember Fish saying to seal the saw up as for pressure testing then blast it with the full pressure from an air compressor. I can see this getting out one side or the other but how do you then get the remaining one out. Has anyone else tried this method?

I can remember Fish saying to seal the saw up as for pressure testing then blast it with the full pressure from an air compressor. I can see this getting out one side or the other but how do you then get the remaining one out. Has anyone else tried this method?

I wouldn't recommend using compressed air. I can see this working, but make sure you aren't pressurizing it with the intake boot or anything else on. That would take a lot of pressure. I know for a fact that an intake boot will blow before a seal will pop out. It was a tragic accident with an MS460, lol. Easy fix, but I was already done with everything, just needed to pressure test to verify a leak was fixed. Definitely a "DOH!" moment. I always use a modified screwdriver.

This is what I use, but I really like the slide hammer idea. You have to be fairly careful with the screwdriver to make sure you don't scratch the crankshaft.

Pic please.

Had a few requests for this pict, havn`t had this tool out for a long spell, sorry for the long delay. Showing it with the common Lisle style puller to show how much smaller my screwdriver puller is.

recently%2Bupdated%2B279.jpg
recently%2Bupdated%2B280.jpg
recently%2Bupdated%2B281.jpg

Anybody bother to heat and or lube the seal before removing. I used to struggle stripping screws and bolts and have now taken to the heat gun and acetone/atf/diesel mix to everything that gives me some challenge. Really makes my shop time more betterer.

Next. I'm gonna learn welding an y'all better watch out !!!

Anybody bother to heat and or lube the seal before removing. I used to struggle stripping screws and bolts and have now taken to the heat gun and acetone/atf/diesel mix to everything that gives me some challenge. Really makes my shop time more betterer.

To make the seals really easy to remove I just tap the side of the seal , opposite from the side I want to pull it from, down a little to break it free from its stuck position, then hook in the puller and they pop out easily. Thought I posted that somewhere before but don`t see it in this thread.

To make the seals really easy to remove I just tap the side of the seal , opposite from the side I want to pull it from, down a little to break it free from its stuck position, then hook in the puller and they pop out easily. Thought I posted that somewhere before but don`t see it in this thread.
Yup best way.

I'll be watching you.:cool:

Latest posts

Back