Species??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steadyj_17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Could anyone verify for me what they 2 species they could be? I've been told years ago they the one on the left is ironwood but not positive. However do not know the one on the right. Thanks in advance20200411_144141.jpg

The bark on the left looks like ironwood. Split it for better I.D. Ironwood will have light colored (white?) sap wood and red heart wood. & it'll split kind of stringy. And it's pretty heavy wood. Great fuel.

The one on the right, need more than just that bark to look at. End grain shot? split piece?

The bark on the left looks like ironwood. Split it for better I.D. Ironwood will have light colored (white?) sap wood and red heart wood. & it'll split kind of stringy. And it's pretty heavy wood. Great fuel.

The one on the right, need more than just that bark to look at. End grain shot? split piece?
20200411_170042.jpg20200411_170058.jpg

multiple species are called ironwood, this looks a little like hop hornbeam but very large for that species

multiple species are called ironwood, this looks a little like hop hornbeam but very large for that species
I was assuming my first pic of the 2 different species that the one on the left was Ostrya Virginiana. But like you mentioned the one on the right i found to be very similar. However still different. They both came from the same load of logs I had delivered this year.

Back