Can it be saved?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody Matthews

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all I was hoping someone could help me verify the identity of this tree and also advise on if it can be saved or is it to far gone. I believe it to be a flowering dogwood and according to the internet it likely has a fungal infection. If anyone could help I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Hey all I was hoping someone could help me verify the identity of this tree and also advise on if it can be saved or is it to far gone. I believe it to be a flowering dogwood and according to the internet it likely has a fungal infection. If anyone could help I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Wanted to add more pictures to better show the issueIMG_6184.jpegIMG_6183.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6182.jpeg
    IMG_6182.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
The native American dogwood is one of my favorites. Usually when I see an ornamental tree with 50% canopy decline I'll recommend removal. However if there is an abiotic issue that can be corrected then it may have a chance. That being said, look closely at this dogwood and let us know if the Christmas light wires are embedded into the branch structure.

The Christmas lights are not at all imbedded. I actually just put them on a couple months ago for Christmas. We just moved into the house in November and I’d really love to save the tree if possible. If not I’d likely remove and hopefully plant a new one on the same spot. Thank you for your quick response @Raintree

Ruling out girdling from the lights, I would then recommend removal. The dieback is most likely due to dogwood borer or soil/root zone issues.

Thanks again for your fast reply @Raintree . If I’m going to replant do you think there would be any issue planting the same spot? Also if I’m replanting a dogwood do you think it’s ok that that specific spot is basically full sun? I know they say dogwoods prefer partial shade. For reference I am in NY in zone 7a I believe.

Full sun isn't ideal, however it can be done with precautions.
Make sure that area doesn't have a high water table.
Keep irrigation from wetting foliage.
Take a soil sample and adjust as recommended.
Install a proper mulch bed to avoid mechanical injury.

Thank you so much, I’ll be getting to work on replacing it ASAP. I really appreciate all the feedback and advice!

Latest posts

Back