splitting big rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil level is low in teh splitter.

157oz90.jpg
timberwolf is the way to go

First thing I'd do is cut a decent size round at a length that just fits under the splitter so it can't tip up. Noodle one side flat, have that sticking just out of the delivery side. The a couple of 2x6's on that side to make a ramp; roll those puppy's right on up.

I think the easiest/smartest way to deal with big rounds is to cut them right over a wagon or trailer,

standard.jpg

Then put the splitter right next to the wagon and just roll the big rounds right onto the splitter beam and push them right through the 4-way a couple times,

standard.jpg

It really takes the work out of it and works perfectly!

standard.jpg

SR

Now you have to bend over 4 times instead of rolling one round onto the log lift. Sounds like more work to me.
For me, that would mean either I have to get the splitter to the sight + near the rounds or get the big rounds to the splitter so if I noodle to quarters and back my trailer or pick up to the tree and either split by hand and be done with splitting on the spot if its straight grained and cracks easy, or I can load by hand and finish splitting while I unload at home. Tractor and loaders are nice, but it can be another job moving them to the sight and then back home just like the splitter. The big equipment is much more beneficial when you have 2 or more people working together. 1 person by them self it seems noodling down to handling size or to the point they can easily be hand split to size is about as efficient as I can get. Once the pieces are smaller they can be tossed also, so you save steps and time maneuvering your vehicle closer to the wood.

A good noodling saw means just about anything can be manhandled into the back of my truck after its noodled down to easily lifted sizes. Last thing I'll do is take my splitter up perilous mountain roads. That would beat the hell out of it or worse.

I saw a cool tailgate lift on Craigslist a while back. It plugged into your trailer hitch, and had 2 support legs. It was just a flat lift like you would see on a delivery truck. Except instead of being hydraulic, it used a winch to go up and down.

That would've been pretty handy for loading big rounds!

I have a new way to do it as of Sunday, my son bought me a DHT 22 ton! Here it is in front of my printing shop, on it's way to try it out. It easily split some 30" rounds of Ash I dropped and bucked last fall, including some hidden knots that would have made me sweat with my X27.

I stuck a 2x6 on the ground in front of the foot (splitting vertical) and it was a breeze. I'd break the round in half first and lay one half on the ground flat up and sit on it to split up the other half - easy peasy. The rounded bark side down allowed me to "rock" making it easier to move the other pieces while sitting.

I have the same splitter, Version 2.0. Works better now. I use different height rounds to get big rounds onto the beam. Just lift onto a 12" high one then roll up to next size until I get it onto the beam. Split in half then half stays on the table while I split the 1st half. oops mine is the 28 ton, just that's why it looks different than yours.
View attachment 343462
Hey Can too? How is that mod working for you? I purchased a Champion 27T to mod with a box wedge and I was thinking of keeping the lower portion and attaching the box wedge to the remaining plate. It looks like you did a similar thing.

What precautions did you make in changing the plate to a wedge?

s9.jpg

take a knee or both knees while noodling , keep the ax handy to use as cane to get back up.

if your knees are shot also that might be an issue

you also don't have to cut all the way through you can cut most of the way avoiding ground contact with the chain then whack them with the ax

once you have been noodling you get a nice bed of noodles to kneel on so it is soft , also if you roll the rounds onto the bed of noodles ground contact with the chain becomes a minimal issue .

standing and rolling rounds is easier with 2 pickaroons no bending required

Back