Square Chain Files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuhndog

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just because, I picked up a reel of Square chain.I feel I can hand file round quite well so wondered which file is the best to use on this?I see many different types and after a couple touch ups will grind them round.Searchs didn't help.Thanks, Dave

It is not too hard to keep a square chain sharp by hand file.
The hardest part is keeping the inside corner of the tooth intersecting the outside corner.

It is not too hard to keep a square chain sharp by hand file.
The hardest part is keeping the inside corner of the tooth intersecting the outside corner.

I am getting ready to go out to the shop in a few to touch up the square chain you did for my 262 last year (I got into a little dirt). You definitely produce some nice looking chain my friend.

I was never around square filed chain before. Never filed it, never used it, never saw it filed or used.
We were using chipper chain up until the mid 60's, then semi, or round filed chisel came out, and I've used it since.
I recently came into possession of of a McCulloch 797 that has a square filed chisel chain on it. The saw runs good, but didn't cut too good, so I decided to try my hand at sharpening square file. I think it turned out ok. I cut a frozen dead western hemlock, and it's kind of dirty. The chain is 2/3 gone, and part of it is rusty on the teeth to the point the chrome is gone, but it cut good.
I made a couple of videos of the before and after and of the learning process.
before:
after:

Back