Fixs for "Rocked Chain"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmateurSawer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Occasionally I get too close when cutting and my chain touches a rock.
Wondering which would be quicker/better.
The Harbor Freight grinder or one of those electric hand held "Dremel" types from Stihl or Oregon.
Thanks for the replies.

There is a kit for a genuine Dremel that has a guide and shims to set up for 3 sizes of chain. Do what you want but I have gave up and thrown away attempts without the guide. Not sure what the Harbor Freight device is it sure must have bigger abrasive stones. It is unlikely the Dremel is better, and the side of the cutter can be damaged pretty far back and just a new chain loop is really best.

I hit a nail real hard, and the entire chain was buggered. I hand filed it, but it took to long, and should have just replaced it. Hit a rock, lightly, try a new file. You can save such a chain if you haven't mess up to many teeth.

I had a grinder, when I was learning. Great for a buggered up chain, but a bit pricey for just one chain. Right?

The answer is better control over the saw and “tip awareness”. When you turf a chain hard your looking at some file time best case. Worse case it will need to be sharpened on a chain grinder. Keep a few sharp chains with you and either get a chain grinder or take them to your local saw shop to be sharpened.

The answer is better control over the saw and “tip awareness”. When you turf a chain hard your looking at some file time best case. Worse case it will need to be sharpened on a chain grinder. Keep a few sharp chains with you and either get a chain grinder or take them to your local saw shop to be sharpened.
You can develop a feel for where the tip is. It takes time but can be done.
Also, watch the chips as they come out when you get close to the bottom…when you hit bark, pull back a tad.

I purchased an Oregon 410-120 a few years back and don’t regret a single bit of it. It does a plenty fine job of sharpening chains for what I do. I will hand file a few times and grind them when the chain gets too outta wack.

I had a hand held grinder for a while and it worked okay but this bench grinder is much nicer.

You can develop a feel for where the tip is. It takes time but can be done.
Also, watch the chips as they come out when you get close to the bottom…when you hit bark, pull back a tad.
Good tip. That’s something I watch for as well. Once you hit bark it’s real easy to fly through and hit dirt.

Latest posts

Back