Opinions on Forester chain compared to Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky X Cut is my current favorite between Husky, Oregon, and Stihl. Stihl is nice but even if they were the same price I’d prefer x cut.

I am liking the Duke’s branded china saw chain I just got. For 10 bucks a loop I’m happy. Hipa is another one that I have had good experiences with. In my experience the China chain has a little more noise/vibration but I don’t find myself sharpening it more often than Oregon chain. I have busted a few teeth off a chain here and there but I haven’t had a loop break yet.

I will tell anyone reading that Husqvarna chain with the folded over dorsel fin rakers isn't worth two squirts of duck poop. I've tried their standard varieties a few times over the years and it's just OK.

Stihl chain is decent. Some of it isn't all that sharp right out of the box but fine once you touch it up with a file and lasts about as long as Oregon.

Oregon overall is at the top of the pile. The "blue" cutters are preferred and I run that variety on all my 50-55cc saws on 18" bars, .050" gauge, 72 drive count and semi-chisel cutters.

Windsor chain is decent, but you hardly ever see it these days.

Carlton is just OK.

Archer is one notch under Carlton, OK at best. Don't like anything about their bars however and I've got one of them hanging on the wall that looks brand new but locked up SOLID and no way to free it up no matter how good you are.

Anything from China isn't worth two squirts of duck poop and it will go dull or break if you stare at it too long!

As a disclaimer here my post is not meant to start a brand lovers war or to get anyones panties all wadded up that loves some of the stuff that doesn't or hasn't made the grade here. I see that sort of thing far too often on the Forums. There are parts or equipment out there I have had poor or even ZERO success with, but the first time you utter a harsh word about there is always someone who loves that junk so much the carry a sample of it in their pocket all day long and some even sleep with it at night. Seriously folks, just putting up some observations from direct experience and I would add that I did work on small power equipment in a shop I ran full time for over 20 years.

I will tell anyone reading that Husqvarna chain with the folded over dorsel fin rakers isn't worth two squirts of duck poop. I've tried their standard varieties a few times over the years and it's just OK.

Stihl chain is decent. Some of it isn't all that sharp right out of the box but fine once you touch it up with a file and lasts about as long as Oregon.

Oregon overall is at the top of the pile. The "blue" cutters are preferred and I run that variety on all my 50-55cc saws on 18" bars, .050" gauge, 72 drive count and semi-chisel cutters.

Windsor chain is decent, but you hardly ever see it these days.

Carlton is just OK.

Archer is one notch under Carlton, OK at best. Don't like anything about their bars however and I've got one of them hanging on the wall that looks brand new but locked up SOLID and no way to free it up no matter how good you are.

Anything from China isn't worth two squirts of duck poop and it will go dull or break if you stare at it too long!

As a disclaimer here my post is not meant to start a brand lovers war or to get anyones panties all wadded up that loves some of the stuff that doesn't or hasn't made the grade here. I see that sort of thing far too often on the Forums. There are parts or equipment out there I have had poor or even ZERO success with, but the first time you utter a harsh word about there is always someone who loves that junk so much the carry a sample of it in their pocket all day long and some even sleep with it at night. Seriously folks, just putting up some observations from direct experience and I would add that I did work on small power equipment in a shop I ran full time for over 20 years.
What makes you prefer the Oregon chain? Lpx and Exl are good chains for sure but usually folks, including myself, prefer the Stihl for overall performance.

Also the old Husky H47 and H48 were just rebranded Lgx from Oregon. I thought Oregon used to make all of Husky’s chains until recently.

I've seen no better performance from Stihl chain. Some of that comes from the fact that I tend to run shorter bars on my saws for improved power to weight and power to bar length.

In these parts Stihl chain costs a tad more and not as readily available so I just stick with Oregon. With that said I'm well stocked up on loops as I "standardized" my arsenal decades ago. My "little" saws all use 14" bars with 52 drive links, .050" 3/8" LP. 50-55cc all use 18" bars, 72 DL, .050" and semi-chisel. Most of the larger saws are outfitted with 20" bars, 72DL, .050" and about 50 percent semi-chisel and 50 percent full chisel. I bought a BOATLOAD of loops for them at least 20 years ago and not even close to running out. So my information is somewhat "dated" as I really don't know what's out there at the moment of if any of the current chains are coming in from offshore or not?

The few times I've purchased Stihl chain over the years it was not quite as sharp right out of the box as Oregon, which really doesn't mean all that much because I "touch up" my chains at ever fill-up anyhow. It performed fine, but didn't see it any better or worse than the Oregon chain I was already using......

I've seen no better performance from Stihl chain. Some of that comes from the fact that I tend to run shorter bars on my saws for improved power to weight and power to bar length.

In these parts Stihl chain costs a tad more and not as readily available so I just stick with Oregon. With that said I'm well stocked up on loops as I "standardized" my arsenal decades ago. My "little" saws all use 14" bars with 52 drive links, .050" 3/8" LP. 50-55cc all use 18" bars, 72 DL, .050" and semi-chisel. Most of the larger saws are outfitted with 20" bars, 72DL, .050" and about 50 percent semi-chisel and 50 percent full chisel. I bought a BOATLOAD of loops for them at least 20 years ago and not even close to running out. So my information is somewhat "dated" as I really don't know what's out there at the moment of if any of the current chains are coming in from offshore or not?

The few times I've purchased Stihl chain over the years it was not quite as sharp right out of the box as Oregon, which really doesn't mean all that much because I "touch up" my chains at ever fill-up anyhow. It performed fine, but didn't see it any better or worse than the Oregon chain I was already using......
No offense, a lot has changed with chains in the past 5 years let alone 20. Husqy has been making their own chains. Oregon has been bought out a few times and their chain quality is not what it used to be.

No offense taken here and I have purchased a few bars and chains in the past few years so aware of some product changes and "outsourcing" that's going on. There is just no consistency to it. One time you order AC Delco oil filters for your vehicle and USA made show up. The next batch you get is from China or comes in a box that says "Country of Origin on bottom of box". So you flip the box over and 20 different Countries are listed......how confusing is that?

What I'm seeing more and more of are USA companies "outsourcing" and some try to cover it up with clever packaging. Bearings are one of these items. Try to find a roller bearing made in the USA. Recently I had to replace the ball bearings in an idler and another in a tensioner on one of my vehicles. I took the part numbers and found bearings from Taiwan, China, Turkey, Poland, Japan and a few Countries I've never heard of, but no USA made anyplace. Even the Timken bearings were imported.

So it's not going to get any better with any of this stuff, at least from what I've seen here.....

No offense taken here and I have purchased a few bars and chains in the past few years so aware of some product changes and "outsourcing" that's going on. There is just no consistency to it. One time you order AC Delco oil filters for your vehicle and USA made show up. The next batch you get is from China or comes in a box that says "Country of Origin on bottom of box". So you flip the box over and 20 different Countries are listed......how confusing is that?

What I'm seeing more and more of are USA companies "outsourcing" and some try to cover it up with clever packaging. Bearings are one of these items. Try to find a roller bearing made in the USA. Recently I had to replace the ball bearings in an idler and another in a tensioner on one of my vehicles. I took the part numbers and found bearings from Taiwan, China, Turkey, Poland, Japan and a few Countries I've never heard of, but no USA made anyplace. Even the Timken bearings were imported.

So it's not going to get any better with any of this stuff, at least from what I've seen here.....
Yep, never ends, wherever they can get it cheaper from. Even usa made stuff isn't always good. Had a complete batch if skf 6010 shielded bearings that didn't last more then a day a few years ago. Was quite the mess for us. The replacment bearings came from Thailand. Zero issues with them.

I pointed out that the Oregon and Husqvarna chain in that video were the same and he got different results likely a few years back. How rattled around in the boxes might be significant.
Yep.. I'm sure my comment made a few butt hurt. Doesn't matter.

The comment about the blued Oregon cutters in post 22 is interesting.

I have tried many variations of chains, the Stihl RS chains are my favorite, acknowledging they are pricy. I do have many of the Chinese knock offs, including Forster, Holtzfarma, and even the new Duke branded variety. I have three or four local Stihl dealers around that offered buy two get one free for the steel chains and usually stock up on those when they run that deal. Not sure that is widespread option. Specifically I have been pleased with the Forrester chain for the price and realistic expectations. The China chains are generally reserved for dirty wood, like cutting down in the floodplain or logs that have been drug.

I found a few years ago that Oregon chain seemed a lot easier to file than Stihl chain, which tells me it is softer. Not necessarily a bad thing, but worth noting. Remember the old black handle Buck knives? I spent hours trying to hand sharpen one, and I decided I like Blackjack knives a whole lot better, because I'm able to keep them sharp. The 2-in-1 file holder is great, and I can keep a chain functional with one, when I'm willing to take the time to use it. At my age I suppose I don't mind taking chains in every so often and letting the dealer get 'em back to spec.

I've read every post here, and thank you each and every person who took the time to comment. I try to stick with oem Stihl sprocket rims, and I feel confident a Stihl chain is not likely to break and sling itself around the bar and into my right leg. I keep my chains well adjusted, with very little play in them, just as the book says. It helps to loosen them a bit when done so they don't tighten too much as they cool. Given all of the factors involved, it seems a good value to just buy the Stihl chain and try to take good care of it. They last a long time when you think of the number of cuts you can get out of one, even when it's been sharpened several times. In that context, the price of an individual chain really doesn't seem to matter much over its service life.

Yep.. I'm sure my comment made a few butt hurt. Doesn't matter.
I like the PF reviews, but I also pay attention to how he does the testing. Sometimes the testing is relevant. Sometimes it is not. In the case of most of his chainsaw related reviews, they don't have much merit.

I like the PF reviews, but I also pay attention to how he does the testing. Sometimes the testing is relevant. Sometimes it is not. In the case of most of his chainsaw related reviews, they don't have much merit.
My take on Project Farm is that Todd is very methodical, thorough and organized, and his methods are clearly spelled out. He starts by assessing what attributes are important for the particular product he is testing. Then he tries to devise quantitative measures of each attribute when possible, and some qualitative/subjective tests when it is not. He is very open about when the test is subjective. In general, I think his testing is well thought out and his conclusions sound. He just did one on trash bags that was quite useful. The only test I can recall where his methodology was questionable was on 2-cycle oil. His testing was valid except for one thing: he mixed at 4:1. That is so far off the mark that I am not sure one can conclude anything from it. But his chainsaw chain ranking was very useful and his methodology sound.

I found a few years ago that Oregon chain seemed a lot easier to file than Stihl chain, which tells me it is softer. Not necessarily a bad thing, but worth noting. Remember the old black handle Buck knives? I spent hours trying to hand sharpen one, and I decided I like Blackjack knives a whole lot better, because I'm able to keep them sharp. The 2-in-1 file holder is great, and I can keep a chain functional with one, when I'm willing to take the time to use it. At my age I suppose I don't mind taking chains in every so often and letting the dealer get 'em back to spec.

I've read every post here, and thank you each and every person who took the time to comment. I try to stick with oem Stihl sprocket rims, and I feel confident a Stihl chain is not likely to break and sling itself around the bar and into my right leg. I keep my chains well adjusted, with very little play in them, just as the book says. It helps to loosen them a bit when done so they don't tighten too much as they cool. Given all of the factors involved, it seems a good value to just buy the Stihl chain and try to take good care of it. They last a long time when you think of the number of cuts you can get out of one, even when it's been sharpened several times. In that context, the price of an individual chain really doesn't seem to matter much over its service life.
Bottom line for me is the Stihl RS involves less work for me per unit of firewood produced. It cuts faster and lasts longer than other chains I have used. I have not tried the Husqvarna X-cut. I probably have enough chains on hand to last the rest of my life, so I probably won't test it. But if I am still cutting 10 years from now, maybe. I am well past retirement age, so who knows?

My take on Project Farm is that Todd is very methodical, thorough and organized, and his methods are clearly spelled out. He starts by assessing what attributes are important for the particular product he is testing. Then he tries to devise quantitative measures of each attribute when possible, and some qualitative/subjective tests when it is not. He is very open about when the test is subjective. In general, I think his testing is well thought out and his conclusions sound. He just did one on trash bags that was quite useful. The only test I can recall where his methodology was questionable was on 2-cycle oil. His testing was valid except for one thing: he mixed at 4:1. That is so far off the mark that I am not sure one can conclude anything from it. But his chainsaw chain ranking was very useful and his methodology sound.
I've taken issue with multiple PF reviews, BUT (just as you said) I knew I would take issue as soon as he described how he was going to conduct the evaluation and I really appreciate that. The most recent review that didn't really make sense was his evaluation of bar oil. His testing procedure demonstrated that he doesn't really understand how bar oil fails in application. I'm okay with that because he said what he was going to do, and then did exactly that. I appreciated his effort, but put no stock in his conclusion in regards to what bar oil I run on 36" and 42" bars.

As far as chain goes, I prefer Stihl RS. For me it holds an edge longer than the Oregon chain that I've run in the past, and I seem to get more life out of it. I know a lot of people who prefer the Oregon chain though because what they find at the box store is significantly cheaper. For my needs, an 18" loop will last me at least 2 years of firewood (typically 4 cords of hickory per year), probably 3 or 4. There have been a few years where I put up 10 cord because of some logging that was done, and a single chain still made it through 2 seasons so I don't mind spending a little more on the chains. I make sure to keep at least 1 or 2 new chains with me in the tool box as well as an older chain- or two that I can put on if I get into something that might wreck a chain.

Bottom line for me is the Stihl RS involves less work for me per unit of firewood produced. It cuts faster and lasts longer than other chains I have used. I have not tried the Husqvarna X-cut. I probably have enough chains on hand to last the rest of my life, so I probably won't test it. But if I am still cutting 10 years from now, maybe. I am well past retirement age, so who knows?
X-Cut when factory filed is faster than STIHL chain. X-Cut is "race chain" for the masses and well-thought. It holds an edge quite well and is quality chain. It is incredibly smooth cutting, and however one analyzes it is great looking, great performing chain.

STIHL has highest quality chain I've seen. It has a high chrome and nickle content giving it great wear resistance (to filing also), resistance to rust, and has the optimum balance of speed to longevity so is "the most productive chain for general use." I understand that's why STIHL bars & chain are commonly seen on Husqvarna saws. --To that point though, Husquvarna brought X-Cut in-house (Oregon was making it), and STIHL bar prices are getting pretty spendy, so I'm seeing fewer STIHL bars on Husquvarna saws and more X-Cut chain being used, including on STIHL saws.

Mind you "what's best" depends on your preferences, I run different brands of chain depending on the use and am not saying one is better than another in all cases.

X-Cut when factory filed is faster than STIHL chain. X-Cut is "race chain" for the masses and well-thought. It holds an edge quite well and is quality chain. It is incredibly smooth cutting, and however one analyzes it is great looking, great performing chain.

STIHL has highest quality chain I've seen. It has a high chrome and nickle content giving it great wear resistance (to filing also), resistance to rust, and has the optimum balance of speed to longevity so is "the most productive chain for general use." I understand that's why STIHL bars & chain are commonly seen on Husqvarna saws. --To that point though, Husquvarna brought X-Cut in-house (Oregon was making it), and STIHL bar prices are getting pretty spendy, so I'm seeing fewer STIHL bars on Husquvarna saws and more X-Cut chain being used, including on STIHL saws.

Mind you "what's best" depends on your preferences, I run different brands of chain depending on the use and am not saying one is better than another in all cases.
I agree.

Latest posts

Back