Stihl Contra 1106 newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolmenman1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi...I'm new to this forum so hope I'm posting in the right place. A friend has given me a Stihl Contra 1106, which belonged to his late father. It was seized but I've managed to get it going. I've put premium quality gasoline, at a mixture of 25:1 with 2 stroke oil and added a lead additive. Is this correct?
I've managed to get her to tick over without the chain spinning by lowering the idle but need to adjust the hi and low settings.
She has an original Stihl bar, which has 1106 90 stamped on it, so I assume it's 80cm. There is absolutely no chain brake or safety so I'm using it with great caution.
Is it a 404 chain on it and will I need a 7?32" file to sharpen it?

At the moment she is very smokey, although it could be the fact someone had put chain oil into the gas tank. I'm hoping it'll burn off. I'll try to post some pictures.. The serial number seems to indicate she is from around 1961 (a year older than me..lol)

Attachments

• Contra !.jpg
    Contra !.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Contra 2.jpg
    Contra 2.jpg
    824.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Contra 3.jpg
    Contra 3.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Contra 4.jpg
    Contra 4.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Contra 5.jpg
    Contra 5.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations! Nice saw. With a good two stroke oil I think you'd be fine at 32:1.
Yep. Old two strokes spec high oil ratios because oil was crap back then. A lot of people just ran generic 30wt. You can run modern ratios with high quality modern oil. Maybe not 50:1 but 32:1 would be good.

The one exception is really old two strokes with plain bearing cranks that use the bearing as the crank seal. I.e. there's no rubber seal, just the oil in the bearing. I think those need lots of oil to maintain the seal.

I'd dump the premix in the saw now since it's also got bar oil in it and put in fresh mix. That will get rid of most of the bar oil.

Thanks for the replies...yes, I think I'll dump what's in it and put in 32:1...will update when I've her running properly...I'll probably have more questions...lol

Back