Stihl Contra 1106 ignition problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolmenman1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Advice needed! My Contra (which I was gifted and only recently got going) died on me yesterday. I thought it was fuel related so drained tank, replaced fuel etc. No go...not even firing.
Next I checked for a spark and there was none, so I bought a replacement plug. Still no go.
However, if I hold the HT lead almost touching the block, when I turn the engine, there appears to be an erratic spark. Have tested both plugs in a Husky 45 and both plugs sparking fine. The gap is supposed to be 0.5mm (half a millimeter?) which seems too narrow. The new plug is as it came out of the box.
This chainsaw has had a chip fitted (it looks like the Nova II one) to replace the points. I've ordered a new one of these from Germany but it will be a few days before it arrives. Could this be the problem or could it be the coil?

If I have to replace the whole ignition module, will I need a special flywheel removal tool for this saw and do I have to set timing etc?
I'm a complete novice with this type of saw (circa 1967 I've been informed) so any advice to get her running would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I've checked everything and cand find no splits in the HT lead. Took the fan off and cleaned around points. It has a Bosch Coil fitted but I am waiting on the flywheel puller and a new chip arriving in the post, from Germany.
I've also ordered a complete ignition which is supposed to be all electronic.
https://shop.saegenspezi.de/electronic-ignition-fits-Stihl-070-090-Contra-AV-070AV
To fit this do I need to space this module with feeler gauge to the flywheel and does it have to be timed? Also does it remove the need for the chip?
https://shop.saegenspezi.de/ignition-chip-with-ground-wire-fits-Stihl-070-090-Contra
It already has the chip fitted (hopefully that's all that has failed..376792451_10223641858089908_541962575119116842_n.jpg374514038_10223641856009856_8304822538399303316_n.jpg

Fair enough...Is there a particular reason? The original ignition is still there, beneath the flywheel. AFAIK the "chip" just bypasses them....I am just pleased to have her running again.

Because its original and bulletproof. Just the other day I pulled out my 60 years old Contra that was sitting at least five years. Gave a few swipes over the points with 500 grid sand paper and it fired right up and ran like new.

You are probably right...sharpened the saw (a 32" bar) and went to do some cutting and she died after about a minute...no spark...again.
Think the chip has blown. Why? wired it exactly the same as the last one.
I'm waiting on a flywheel puller for her, so I intend to remove the flywheel and see what's going on...I will try to restore the original ignition, if it's still there...I've a horrible feeling the woodruff key has given up and the flywheel has slipped...I'll probably be looking advice on setting the timing...

Latest posts

Back