Question about SEM ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawman

Reaction score
I am trying to get a Stihl TS 360 AV saw running. It has the SEM ignition. Have bought two brand new replacement ignitions and neither shows any spark. One Proline from Sawzilla, one from ebay. It seems unlikely that both are bad.

Does anyone know what resistance I should see when I put a multimeter to it? From case to plug lead I'm getting ~2600 Ohms on both replacement units. Appears the original is bad. It's shorted from the case to the kill switch lead. And it reads ~1400 ohms for case to plug lead. But I'm at a loss as to why the new units are both not working.

I've had trouble finding info on this, and am hoping someone here can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

The second one I bought is this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234863353631
I didn't know anything about an inline ignition chip. Where should I get that? What does it do?
That style has it inside the potting or it should, did you inspect the flywheel magnets? make sure each magnet has a strong pull on a steel nail then use a magnet to make sure the polarity is still correct. Did you double check the flywheel to make sure it matches the coil? it will have the part# cast into it somewhere.

Yes, was using a drill. But had it on low speed setting. Now switched to high speed and have spark from both. Didn't imagine when pull starting it would spin that fast, but learn something everyday. Thanks a lot for the assistance, much appreciated. Saw is back together and running again now.

Way off on a tangent, but I had an 056 Mag II that I was messing with.
The boot was missing off the spark plug, but no big deal for my testing.
Anyhow. I got the saw running. The spark plug wire came off. The spark was arcing from the wire to the frame of the saw. Not the end of the plug !!! And the saw kept running until I took a stick of wood and broke the connection.
I'm talking about an inch or more. Blew my mind.

Latest posts

Back