395xp won't shut off with switch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like electrical mysteries, always found them intriguing and have spent many hours tracking down faults in all sorts of equipment, high resistance to me always meant the electrical path was long or varied in metallurgy so a short length of copper wire should not give high resistance readings. Did you remove the coil and clean out any gunk that may be present between the metal frame laminates and the area the coil mounts?
I was thinking the same thing. High resistance between coil and case. Very interested to see what OP finds. I like troubleshooting electrical problems, done (still do) quite a bit of it.

This might sound stupid but the screw that is tapped into the crankcase might not be touching the wiring. Mine came loose on my Husqvarna 288xp and I couldn’t figure out why the damn switch went dead until I saw the screw had backed out enough to lose contact. I just killed the saw by pulling the choke until I figured it out

It sounds like you've done a thorough job of troubleshooting the issue with your 395xp's kill switch. Based on your description, it's possible that there is a break or damage in the wire or connection somewhere along the circuit. I would suggest double-checking all the connections and wires for any visible signs of damage or wear.

Additionally, it's possible that the issue may be related to the AV springs or other components in the engine.

Good question!

The AV (Anti-Vibration) springs are designed to reduce the vibration that is transferred from the engine to the handle of the chainsaw. In some chainsaw models, the AV springs are also used as part of the electrical grounding circuit for the kill switch.

This means that if one of the AV springs is damaged or disconnected, it could cause the electrical circuit to break, which could be the reason why the kill switch is not working properly in this particular case. So, it might be worth checking the AV springs and their connections to see if they are causing any issues.
Disregard this artificial un-intelligence.

Only because I've had it happen to me before. Few times....try another coil. 394/5s are known for having "sneeekee bastige" coils.
PS I really really dislike anything lektricks related. So the hours I put in to figger it out were torture
LOL, I kinda like figuring out problems like this. And to me, this one isn't a big deal, since I can kill the saw just as easily with the choke, but I just want it to work like it's supposed to. But I don't think it's the coil. Every once in a while, the kill switch will kill the engine, like once in 10 times. But I know that the high resistance between the grounding point for the kill switch and the coil is the problem.... now just have to figure out why... and make it right again.

LOL, I kinda like figuring out problems like this. And to me, this one isn't a big deal, since I can kill the saw just as easily with the choke, but I just want it to work like it's supposed to. But I don't think it's the coil. Every once in a while, the kill switch will kill the engine, like once in 10 times. But I know that the high resistance between the grounding point for the kill switch and the coil is the problem.... now just have to figure out why... and make it right again.
I am with you...but im pretty sure yer 372 coil will spark up the 395 and you can then tell me im a horses arse...and it costs you nuttin...
also someone will lend you a coil to try and shut up the silly Jersey big mouth guy...

Put a long auxiliary wire on the coil fish it through some opening ,start the saw then ground that wire and see if it kills it it prob will.

Back