2002 357xp on/off switch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnniesDad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello
My 357xp won’t start. I took the carb off and sonic cleaned. I have spark to the plug but something looks wrong with the switch. Not certain I missed something when putting it back together.
Where the wire(s) attach from coil/ground(?) is good BUT the switch just moves the rounded part up & down without coming into contact with anything.
Looking at replacement switches they are just plastic as well.
Pulled and pulled but no pop.
Pulled the plug and put a couple drops of oil on cylinder that gave it a small squirt of starting fluid under air filter. Zero pop.
I’m still thinking electric but I don’t know.
Any ideas? Love to keep this ol war dog alive!
TIA

Attachments

• F16F76F4-DC91-4644-944D-4B4711012F6C.jpeg
    F16F76F4-DC91-4644-944D-4B4711012F6C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 0CE4D022-A691-4711-BCD6-E4910244E608.jpeg
    0CE4D022-A691-4711-BCD6-E4910244E608.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The pictures are of on and off. Essentially the same thing. Just riding on plastic switch with no other contact changes. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks ammo. This has a loop? kind of wiring. Out of coil to a splice that runs back to mounting screw for coil other to spring in switch.
Are you thinking pull the flat connector from coil and leave the ground screw or pull both off leaving just the plug wire?

Attachments

• 7F96074A-C82C-4034-A191-D14918108858.jpeg
    7F96074A-C82C-4034-A191-D14918108858.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 0
Figured out the switch issue. At the wire splice is where this needs to be plugged in first. Than the very end of blue wire that has a “flag” look to it is inserted into off/on switch to complete the loop.
Ordered some hd pro simple green. Gonna completely open up Walbro hda 199 for heated sonic clean.
Has anyone had luck with removing the limiters on the high/low jet screws?
Also has anyone heard from treemonkey in a while? He had a fix for these carbs but not certain if he is still active.
TIA.

Figured out the switch issue. At the wire splice is where this needs to be plugged in first. Than the very end of blue wire that has a “flag” look to it is inserted into off/on switch to complete the loop.
Ordered some hd pro simple green. Gonna completely open up Walbro hda 199 for heated sonic clean.
Has anyone had luck with removing the limiters on the high/low jet screws?
Also has anyone heard from treemonkey in a while? He had a fix for these carbs but not certain if he is still active.
Scott has his own group on FB now.

The fix works. I had to do it for a 2159 that came in.

Old post = Thanks to Scott Kunz and his utube video I got this carb done right. Plus drilled the hole he talks about. Shes running cutting again. Had wrong type check valve side in it too.

Can see the drill hole. Scott said do not run the blue check valve side in these. What someone had put in it. Tan in it now.

j2159ccarb.jpg

The fix was mostly ditching the blue fuel pump material, and I think there was something else. If you do a search it will come right up on Google with a video of him doing it. Did it to my 359 years ago.

Thanks all. I watched another vid, samish saw works, on the Walbro 199 and he also explained about the hard diaphragm. Also talked about the kits that need an extra hole for breathing punched in IF not using the K24 rebuild kit which has the holes. He also is a fan of extra hole drilled in cover.
Fun stuff.

Further digging revealed it’s a much newer saw that 2002. It’s actually a 2004. I’ve put a lot of hours on it up until about 2011.
I’ve been putsing around and brought a couple 200t back to life, a 257 that is now off at a buddies place working, cleaned up and been out with a 346xp, a 394xp mainly for dropping big ones than running the Alaskan mill.
This 357xp just got a pop top piston and ported muffler. Gonna reclean the carb, bout done blew up the kitchen on a cleaning experiment first go, and rebuild it.
Fun stuff.

Latest posts

Back