045/056 German Aftermarket Bosch Coil Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crw

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with one of these from Sägenspezi? Replacing the Bosch electronic, not the SEM or the points one. I got one and installed it and- no spark. A quick check showed continuity between the black (ground) wire which gets routed to the kill switch, and the body of the unit (so therefore once installed, the saw). Contacted them and sent pics of me ohming it and they just refunded my money without any kind of explanation. Said they'd like to help me but there's a language barrier. Don't know if I got a bad one or what...
Thanks

Don't have any experience with your specific coil. I ordered once from Sägenspezi, and they sent me the same Chinese stuff I could have gotten cheaper and with lower shipping costs (which is just ridiculous) from eBay.
I think they're a legit company. They did the work and have a decent shop where you can browse by model. They don't write the part number in the description, which is annoying. But they have only aftermarket parts, and I doubt they have some kind of quality control. I'm kind of surprised they have nobody to speak proper English with you. Maybe it is some guy in a wifebeater from his garage...
If I can't find an OEM part, I'll buy on eBay directly. Haven't yet found a part he has, but eBay doesn't. Makes no sense to support a drop shipper.

Yeah, I was surprised at the lack of support. I guess I imagined some retired Stihl engineer fabbing these as a public service. I know there's some methods for repairing this ignition system, but as far as I know they're the only ones selling the coil. Or at least claiming to.
Thanks for your input.

I received two failed ones, but made one work by cleaning off all the excess Loctite from under their chip grounding terminal. Returned the other & then they banned me, so their warranty/customer service stinks. Had installed over a half dozen total between me & friends/customers’ saws. The initially good ones seem to work fine.

Discovered that there are two different Bosch CDI flywheels FW too, one has the magnets’ polarity reversed & won’t work, so you may try another if you have one.

Been so long I can’t remember, thinking the correct one has a single south & 3 north per the Stihl service manual. Your Bosch FW is likely an #0 204 098 002, what’s the number stamped on the rim? The #0 204 098 006 worked fine with the Saegenspezis…

Search the forum here for ‘Saegenspezi’ & read the old posts. Your other option is to try & perform the Foggysail capacitor replacement, a used module is only worth $5 for repair try, IMO.

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...bosch-electronic-ignition.256095/post-5377582

Thanks for the information. Flywheel is 0 204 003 028 which apparently is a points flywheel. 3 and 1 polarity. That being said I bought the saw from a reputable old school saw shop 20 years ago and ran the Bosch electronic in it until it recently quit. So it isn't the right flywheel, but it worked with the OEM coil. I assume the coils that you and J got from Saegenspezi install just like OEM (and every coil I've seen) with the black wire going to the kill switch? As I said in my original post, there is continuity between the wire and the body of the unit. So even if it somehow ran with it grounding itself, there'd be no way to shut it off. In searching the posts like you suggested it seems there's enough bad ones that've been sold that maybe I just got a faulty one.

Thanks for the information. Flywheel is 0 204 003 028 which apparently is a points flywheel. 3 and 1 polarity. That being said I bought the saw from a reputable old school saw shop 20 years ago and ran the Bosch electronic in it until it recently quit. So it isn't the right flywheel, but it worked with the OEM coil. I assume the coils that you and J got from Saegenspezi install just like OEM (and every coil I've seen) with the black wire going to the kill switch? As I said in my original post, there is continuity between the wire and the body of the unit. So even if it somehow ran with it grounding itself, there'd be no way to shut it off. In searching the posts like you suggested it seems there's enough bad ones that've been sold that maybe I just got a faulty one.

Yes that’s a points FW number, I’ve never tried to get one to work with an electronic OEM Bosch or Saegenspezi CDI module.

If the new module is good, it should at least make spark with that FW. The timing (keyway) on the 098 numbered FWs are more advanced vs the points FW, so even if it did spark it would be retarded & run hot.

Saegenspezi does sell a different module specific for replacing points ignition, if you want to give it another shot.

I appreciate your expertise, and that's a decent idea. I've spun it with a drill and no spark at all. Since it's no good, replacing it with the one that's right for the flywheel would be the right play. I did notice from the pic of the points replacement unit on their website that the mounting holes are not slotted, so no way to tweak the timing.

Should just find a points set up if you have the lobe for it on the crank. Doesn't fail like the stupid electronic modules. They fail in many ways, but most common it's the capacitor like the thread mentions. It's a pain in the but, and a crap mod imo. Did it to my cousins 056 about 2 years ago. It didn't have the lobe foe the points or I would have went that direction. Parts for it were just a flat out pain to find as well. Fortunately he sold it shortly after I gave it back to him. The money got him most of the wat to a 660. It was a good running saw, if a bit heavy but man what do you do with the boat anchor once you can't get parts for it?

Latest posts

Back