Square Ground Chain Sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HILLBILLYREDNEC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok I was force to buy a .63 full skip square ground chain for my 36" bar:bang: I am needing some brain cell refreshers on hand sharpening:msp_thumbup: I was taught inside out sharpening for square ground. I had to sharpen the chain and cuts but not like it should. So I am calling on some of the wiser guys around here to help me relearn this skill:bowdown:

I can round file if I can not get the hang of square filing again. I have the square so I thought I would try to relearn hand filing square again:msp_unsure:

Man, are you ok?
I mean it must be traumatic to have someone hold a gun to your head while his buddy puts a square ground chain on your saw and welds the bar nuts down, then they both remove the exact amount of the chain and place it in their cash register.
What did the police do? will your insurance cover it?

IMO if you are filing inside to out on sq. ground you might as well close your eyes and do it. The only way you can see the corner is outside to inside, or against the edge. If you cant see the corner when you file it will never be right.

It takes lots of practice to get consistent with it. If you really want to learn get some full comp for that 36" bar.:laugh:

Outside in is how I do it. I have a short video of square filing I posted on here somewhere. I did 2 teeth on each side. The best way I found was a swing arm grinder.:)

The only .63 gauge chain sold at either of my two local dealers is square ground:bang: I need full skip when falling old growth pondo;) The comp chains get clogged to badly from pitch in the wood.

My buddy is a square file pro, wish he had a computer. I was taught outside in too. Tried square file year's ago for a short time. Most of us here do it by hand, and round file. Alot of faller's though have bought chisel grinder's. One thing I rally feel, is a true square ground chisel chain, hand file'd or with a grinder, will do some serious cuttin, and fast. Round file'd probablly a strong second. I have thought about going back to the square file, and next time My buddy Brian is here from Oregon I am going to have him show me how he doe's it. He is a veteran faller, and he has a grinder now has for some years. If square filed true, the real corner will grab, and bite better in undercuts. Especially if you like me like the Humboldt. I have heard all argument's, and tried all chains ever made. Round, full comp, semi skip chisel, full skip chisel. I alwayl's wanted what I thought would be the best. True round chain is more forgiving, when dull square will lose a corner, and is done. But any chain will dull, and I take extreme measure's to keep them sharp, and out of the dirt. Even chip bark of tree's I fall with an ax sometime's. The fastest chain I have ever used is a true square ground full skip chisel. Smooth to most guy's who complain they vibrate either hit the raker's too much, and or dindn't measure or gauge em.

I have been round file for the last few years. Just thought it is hi time to relearn the square gig again. I know the basics need some refresher help to get the skill back. Figured a there be others want to know the same as well.

I have been round file for the last few years. Just thought it is hi time to relearn the square gig again. I know the basics need some refresher help to get the skill back. Figured a there be others want to know the same as well.

you are nothing if not magnanimous ...

you tried google? or youtube? or ebay/baileys etc for a chain that actually works for you?

I love square filing,I was taught by an old-time faller who was the only guy I knew who used it on his falling saw. I square file my firewood saws,but I'm super careful not to hit the dirt and damage the chain,it's a lot more work to fix. Properly done it outcuts round filed chains by a mile.At work one day another mechanic and I were going to have a race through a log after work,we each took a new identical stock saw,he round filed his,I square filed mine. When we raced with all the staff watching I beat him cleanly,he was only halfway thru when I was done,his saw made chips,mine made long curls of wood.
I have adapted an older Oregon filing guide to the square file and it makes my filing accurate with even and consistent cutters.

It takes lots of practice to get consistent with it. If you really want to learn get some full comp for that 36" bar.:laugh:

Uh, yeah! That'll do it :laugh:. Im getting better at square filing, but its almost too time consuming for me. Its fun when you stick a 36'' full comp in big wood and see the pile of shavings growing at your feet.:D

When you do like redprospector said and only have square filed chains you learn quicker. I know I did. I like square filing but it is tedious. I got to where I can touch up a 28" full comp in around 10 minutes. I could grind one in about the same time but had to clean the gullets out. I do go to the extreme on gullets everytime I do them.

Latest posts

Back