square ground chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryknight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i bought my first loop of square ground chain, everything else i have is round ground. when this one is finally dull, is it worth learning to sharpen square ground chain and getting the files, or should i just round file it?

on another note i like the square ground it covered my boots very quickly with chip:msp_smile:

There's nothing like the smoothness and speed of square ground or filed chain. Order you up a few files and go to town on it.

terryknight;4138935 on another note i like the square ground it covered my boots very quickly with chip:msp_smile:[/QUOTE said:
answered your own question with the last thing you said:msp_sneaky:. pick up a file and take your time

i bought my first loop of square ground chain, everything else i have is round ground. when this one is finally dull, is it worth learning to sharpen square ground chain and getting the files, or should i just round file it?

on another note i like the square ground it covered my boots very quickly with chip:msp_smile:

I just round file mine now. Square filing is an art, and one that I have not kept up with. :msp_biggrin:

Another thing that i have found with sharping square is to sharpen before the chain tooth is dull. It is much easier to touch up the chain and get it sharp, than it is to run it tell the chrome is wore off the top and you need to completely re-sharpen.

Another thing that i have found with sharping square is to sharpen before the chain tooth is dull. It is much easier to touch up the chain and get it sharp, than it is to run it tell the chrome is wore off the top and you need to completely re-sharpen.

i read that on one of the websites i was looking at. still can't decide......

I have found it easy enough to keep a square chain sharp in the woods with a hand file.

square is nice, but

it is a acquired talent to file it properly.
A well filed round chain will out perform a shoddy square filed one.
I have one roll of square filed chain here and when I make up a new loop I always try and see how long I can keep it sharp with a file. Then it gets ground round (like beef?? :D)

Someday, I will achieve satori with the stuff.

Some of us, even in this thread, have square grinders and can save even a messed up square chain or even make a square chain round - no big deal.

It is no big deal to grind a square chain round or a round chain square.

Some of the sqaure chains you read about on here are race chains with sharp angles. These are great at the Get Togethers and races but do not hold up well in the woods.

Square ground work chains have more blunt angles than the race chains and hold up well in the woods.

I say this as a new to square grinding person should keep the different chains and their use in mind.

Some of us, even in this thread, have square grinders and can save even a messed up square chain or even make a square chain round - no big deal.

It is no big deal to grind a square chain round or a round chain square.

Some of the sqaure chains you read about on here are race chains with sharp angles. These are great at the Get Togethers and races but do not hold up well in the woods.

Square ground work chains have more blunt angles than the race chains and hold up well in the woods.

I say this as a new to square grinding person should keep the different chains and their use in mind.

i think i understand, but if/when i learn to file i'll be starting out by hand and just try to follow the chain i already have. anyone know where i can get decent double bevel files??

I bought mine from Bailey's but there are other places that sell them

I've used the double bevel, tri cornered (six sided), and the Valerbe files.

I like one about as well as the other. It is what you get used to.

I also have a ATOP file guide for the Valerbe files and it works nice also.

In my experience, my biggest problem has been keeping the corner of the file or grinding stone aligned with the outside corner of the chain.

i think i understand, but if/when i learn to file i'll be starting out by hand and just try to follow the chain i already have. anyone know where i can get decent double bevel files??

Get the double bevel Save Edge files from Bailleys, best square files I have used. I've been fileing square for forty years or more.

Last edited:
Back