Granberg 1012XT precision grinder,worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubster

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always just hand filed every chain, and can do a pretty good job in my opinion. Sadly, hand cramps are taking a toll and it takes me almost an hour to sharpen a 16" chain now. I was never a fan of grinders on a chain, but the little rotary type grinders look pretty easy on the metal from what I have seen. Any experience or recommend something else ? $100 aint cheap but neither are new chains that get hung on the wall after they get dull. Thanks.

Contrary to the fact that I somewhat despise China made stuff, you need to buy yourself a Vevor chain grinder. It's an exact copy of the Oregon (Tecomec) grinder but with a better gullet stop and a more substantial chain vise and comes with vitrified grinding wheels, hex wrenches for changing the wheels and even has the light built in so you can see what you are doing. best part is, you can buy it on Amazon with free delivery and it's just a tad over 100 bucks or about 1/3 the cost of the Oregon grinder. I haver one as well as the Oregon model so I can do an unopinionated opinion.

I just happen to run Diamond Abrasive CBN wheels instead of vitrified wheels because CBN wheels never need radius dressed.

For me, grinding is the only way to fly.

Contrary to the fact that I somewhat despise China made stuff, you need to buy yourself a Vevor chain grinder. It's an exact copy of the Oregon (Tecomec) grinder but with a better gullet stop and a more substantial chain vise and comes with vitrified grinding wheels, hex wrenches for changing the wheels and even has the light built in so you can see what you are doing. best part is, you can buy it on Amazon with free delivery and it's just a tad over 100 bucks or about 1/3 the cost of the Oregon grinder. I haver one as well as the Oregon model so I can do an unopinionated opinion.

I just happen to run Diamond Abrasive CBN wheels instead of vitrified wheels because CBN wheels never need radius dressed.

For me, grinding is the only way to fly.
I looked at one on Amazon, the Oregon model, and also a hand type model which was the file-n-joint. I just can't grip much anymore for long periods though. I appreciate the recomendation.

I shied away from the 'auto grab', for one it's quite a bit more expensive than the manual clamp model and the more complex a grinder is, the more it can fail. Once I get my 'rhythm' going, I can whip them out pretty fast and with the CBN wheels I don't need to redress the radius at all.

Had to look up a photo:
IMG_6390.jpeg

The rotary grinders have been around a long time. Watching stone wear is important. A lot of people like and use them.

The Granberg clamp on guides have also been around more than 60 years: a slight learning curve to set up, but can provide very sharp, accurate, consistent, cutters.

My assumption is that you could get very good results, with your understanding of sharpening, after a bit of practice with this.

‘Lots of ways to sharpen: everyone has to find something that works for them.’

Philbert

Good evaluation here?
His evaluations always seem ‘objective’, but do not factor in skill, knowledge of what ‘sharp’’ is, what finished cutter profile is desired, etc.

The user sharpens the chain, not the tool. Experience with any one of those tools could lead to different results in each test.

Plus, he is cutting construction lumber, not ‘tree wood’. I have gotten different results comparing chains in hardwoods, versus softwoods, for example. His tests might be more appropriate for a building contractor than a firewood cutter.

Philbert

I take everything Project Farm evaluates with a large grain of salt. far as chain sharpeners, they all require some skill to operate correctly and he lacks that skill in my opinion.

For me, he's 100% entertainment and that is about it. Only YT video site I put any candle in is Torque Test Channel actually because all their tests are very scientific.

I find the 'Project Farm' guy to be a bit goofy.

I've got one of the Granbergs, I like it, I will hand file once or twice then use Grandberg to get my angles and tooth length correct ,I bought mine new in box and lightly used Grandberg bar mounted file guide for I think $15.00 bucks at yard sale couple years ago.
Took a few uses to be able to set it up quickly and correctly,after 2 or 3 uses I can sharpen chain almost as fast as hand filing.
If I hand file only I always get one side shorter and different angle, so I've always took chains into town to get sharpened after I hand filed them a few times,its got so dang expensive to get chains sharpened any more I figured for 15 bucks why not give the Grandbergs a try, I doubt I would of paid much more for Granberg sharpener before using one,but now if it would get lost,brocken or stolen I'd replace it with another one.
A electric bench sharpener would be nice,but I like the portability of grandberg. I havnt used bar mounted file guide but it should work.

I kinda suck at hand filing and my hands hurt somedays so I dont enjoy filing a chain.
I have file guides, stihl 2 in 1, husky 2 in 1, a dremel with the bits for sharpen chains and now a cheap plastic chain grinder from amazon.
If you just want something that's easy on the hands get the dremel style sharpener, same results as a file but no hand pain.
I like the grinder so far, it's much faster sharpening a rocked chain and it gets them plenty sharp for a firewood hack like me that's going to hit a rock again shortly. The dirt cheap ones need a 3/16 wheel upgrade, they come with the thin 1/8 wheel that's for 3/8lp and smaller chains.

Latest posts

Back