Lazer X chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I saw this chain for sale on Ebay and it is advertised as "German Steel". The price was cheap enough so I gave it a try. Right out of the box it was pretty impressive. Sadly that didn't last long.

After about half a dozen cuts the saw started to cut crooked. It got bad enough the bar started to bind up in the log and it quit cutting. Simply thinking I hit something, rock dirt, nail, etc I took the saw in the shop and sharpened the chain.

Back to the wood pile and same thing, cut really good for about half a dozen cuts then started going crooked and binding up. Hum?

So back to the shop for a third attempt giving the chain the benefit of the doubt that I hit something that only dulled one side of it. Back to the woodpile and it did it again.

This time when I went to the shop I decided to drop the rakers and really work the chain till it was razor sharp. I noticed that one side of the chain sharpened very easily, almost too easy, like it was "soft" metal. The other side was exactly the opposite, took more effort and difficult to drop the rakers with a flat file. Hum?

So I replaced it with a new Oregon chain and it was flawless for a full tank of fuel and scores of cuts in the same wood. Not sure if I just got a bad one, but this one isn't worth two squirts of duck poop. For the record this is 3/8" LP .050" with 57 drive links for an Echo CS-370 with a 16" bar. I woln't be trying any more of it, hopefully anyone who went that direction had better results with it that I did........

Latest posts

Back