Hit metal today-chain still usable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking a lot better and I am not sure what species of timber you are cutting- but for me and my conditions- you look to be a bit deep in the gullet and dropping below 10% say of the file above the top plate.
For my way of thinking, file is just a bit low and cleaning out the gullet- but missing the leading edge of the top plate.

Welp I tried it out and it works fine, just not up to full potential. I’ll still go through it again before I use it next time. I’m planning on buying a new chain and keeping this as a spare.

Attachments

• IMG_2805.jpeg
    IMG_2805.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
You must file them back past the damage, not just hit them with the file a few times :p. If just a couple are badly damaged, clean them up. Sharpen the rest to equal length, right and left.
Here’s some pics of my progress. First and third pic were teeth that were severely injured. Middle pic was one that didn’t get injured so much. Gonna go try it out now.
woh…way too much hook, imo 😬

Del and HumBurner , to save a lot of round file strokes , I have used my raker file (round edge in the gullet) to file the hard chrome damaged top plate then use the proper round file to profile the gullet . It might take a few minutes but a lot less round filing and gullet over filing .
Scott
Hah!--I wondered if anyone else did that. I tried that a few years ago and have been doing it ever since when a tooth gets badly damaged; flat-file the top of the tooth back first and then shape the gullet with the round file. It takes a small fraction of the time compared to taking it all back with a round file.

Del and HumBurner , to save a lot of round file strokes , I have used my raker file (round edge in the gullet) to file the hard chrome damaged top plate then use the proper round file to profile the gullet . It might take a few minutes but a lot less round filing and gullet over filing .
Scott

Hah!--I wondered if anyone else did that. I tried that a few years ago and have been doing it ever since when a tooth gets badly damaged; flat-file the top of the tooth back first and then shape the gullet with the round file. It takes a small fraction of the time compared to taking it all back with a round file.
I too have been doing this for years.

The round file only has so many pushes in it's life. By using a flat file to take back the top plate then using the round file to shape the profile saves some filing time also some life on the round file.

Patrick

You must file them back past the damage, not just hit them with the file a few times :p. If just a couple are badly damaged, clean them up. Sharpen the rest to equal length, right and left.

woh…way too much hook, imo 😬
Yep spent a good hour filing but now understand why people use bigger filer to cut out damage. That extra hook will hopefully wear itself back to reality.

Latest posts

Back