Safety, Bar and chain cleeve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just heard a story I want to pass on.. A young man had just cleaned his saw and sharpened the chain. He placed that saw on his work bench with the bar sticking over the side. Someone told him to slip a cover over the bar. He laughed and said, "you worry to much" but at the insistence of the older guy he did just that.. Almost immediately his little girl rushed into the shop and hit her head right on the tip of the saw. We must think safety. When I am walking with my saw idling, you can bet the chain brake is ON. I keep mine sleeved even sitting..I've cut my hands on freshly sharpened chains. I wear safety glasses in my shop. The VA spend over 20 thousand dollars on my eyes. I was lucky they saved my left eye. Today, at 76, I read without glasses. I'm still working some. I've been bucking logs today with my CS 590 and had chaps, hard hat, car protection and Safety glasses on under my face shield. IF my saw is sitting outside of the Case and is NOT idling, the bar is sleeved. This big gum tree was storm damage. At my age, I had to cut smaller wheels to load but I got it done.. My hope is to work until I die with my Chainsaw sitting on the ground idling but NOT with blood on it..

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_164127862.jpg
    IMG_20230826_164127862.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Just heard a story I want to pass on.. A young man had just cleaned his saw and sharpened the chain. He placed that saw on his work bench with the bar sticking over the side. Someone told him to slip a cover over the bar. He laughed and said, "you worry to much" but at the insistence of the older guy he did just that.. Almost immediately his little girl rushed into the shop and hit her head right on the tip of the saw. We must think safety. When I am walking with my saw idling, you can bet the chain brake is ON. I keep mine sleeved even sitting..I've cut my hands on freshly sharpened chains. I wear safety glasses in my shop. The VA spend over 20 thousand dollars on my eyes. I was lucky they saved my left eye. Today, at 76, I read without glasses. I'm still working some. I've been bucking logs today with my CS 590 and had chaps, hard hat, car protection and Safety glasses on under my face shield. IF my saw is sitting outside of the Case and is NOT idling, the bar is sleeved. This big gum tree was storm damage. At my age, I had to cut smaller wheels to load but I got it done.. My hope is to work until I die with my Chainsaw sitting on the ground idling but NOT with blood on it..

I truly do not know how many hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent on my eyes but it is a lot. I have had 5 surgeries and will be facing more. I am blind in the left eye (limited light only) and the right eye is not real good. I try to protect what I have.

Thank you for your service....

I truly do not know how many hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent on my eyes but it is a lot. I have had 5 surgeries and will be facing more. I am blind in the left eye (limited light only) and the right eye is not real good. I try to protect what I have.
I'm saddened to hear about your vision problem. I'm a Vietnam vet and qualified for a civilian Doctor. He's a real Doctor not simply a eye glasses man. For YEARS, I was almost blind in my left eye and partially blind in the right eye. Inside my home I carried a small flash light. That did not slow me down though. I still climbed trees, operated heavy equipment and sort of adjusted to not being fully sighted. Then a few years ago I got my first surgery. Funny thing is my eyes are supposedly 20/20 (when test on the eye chart. BUT,, my brain has not yet fully rewired. Sometimes I have to look at something a while before I know exactly what I'm looking at.. Ha.Ha. Especially on T.V. Depth on a flat photo is no problem for most people but I'm still adjusting.. LOL.. On a positive note.. I've been spending a lot of time in the shop sharpening chains and dressing bars. Being left handed the left hand cutters were always a bigger deal because I use my right hand on them. I hold a angle guide in one hand and file with the other unlike the two hand guys.So. today,, I was filing chains when I stopped and asked myself, HEY,, which hand am I filing with. I've become an ambidextrous saw filer.. Ha. Ha. Tested a few chains and loved the fact I didn't have to go back and touch up anything..So,, life gets better if we stay positive and grateful for what we do have. Bless you.

I'm saddened to hear about your vision problem. I'm a Vietnam vet and qualified for a civilian Doctor. He's a real Doctor not simply a eye glasses man. For YEARS, I was almost blind in my left eye and partially blind in the right eye. Inside my home I carried a small flash light. That did not slow me down though. I still climbed trees, operated heavy equipment and sort of adjusted to not being fully sighted. Then a few years ago I got my first surgery. Funny thing is my eyes are supposedly 20/20 (when test on the eye chart. BUT,, my brain has not yet fully rewired. Sometimes I have to look at something a while before I know exactly what I'm looking at.. Ha.Ha. Especially on T.V. Depth on a flat photo is no problem for most people but I'm still adjusting.. LOL.. On a positive note.. I've been spending a lot of time in the shop sharpening chains and dressing bars. Being left handed the left hand cutters were always a bigger deal because I use my right hand on them. I hold a angle guide in one hand and file with the other unlike the two hand guys.So. today,, I was filing chains when I stopped and asked myself, HEY,, which hand am I filing with. I've become an ambidextrous saw filer.. Ha. Ha. Tested a few chains and loved the fact I didn't have to go back and touch up anything..So,, life gets better if we stay positive and grateful for what we do have. Bless you.
Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. I find too often folks have no appreciation for what the men and women in the military have done for us. On my fathers side my Great-Great Grandfather fought on the Union side in the horrible Civil War. He made it home and lived to a ripe age. On my father's side both great uncles were in WWI, my grandfather being the last male was left to farm. Then on my father's side both uncles died in WWII. My father was the last male and too young for service and stayed to farm. My mother's husband was a combat vet in Vietnam and his son was in in the first Gulf war. I was injured my Senior year of high school which dashed my hopes of joining.

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. I find too often folks have no appreciation for what the men and women in the military have done for us. On my fathers side my Great-Great Grandfather fought on the Union side in the horrible Civil War. He made it home and lived to a ripe age. On my father's side both great uncles were in WWI, my grandfather being the last male was left to farm. Then on my father's side both uncles died in WWII. My father was the last male and too young for service and stayed to farm. My mother's husband was a combat vet in Vietnam and his son was in in the first Gulf war. I was injured my Senior year of high school which dashed my hopes of joining.
I'm so sorry to hear about the losses in your family. After I got back home, well, what was once my home. After I got back to the states I was not the same boy who went to war. I had STSD but no one back in the late 60's knew about it. Being strong willed I dealt with it silently for a while but in 1975, after trying all the churches, I decided to find a cure or die. I stopped eating and began fasting. I was mentally miserable and thought, I'll get Gods attention and get his, it 's, or her's help. It was do or die. One way or the other things had to change. Eventually after 42 days of no food and 30 pounds lighter, my family talked me into eating. The church pastor, from the pulpit made it a point to say that some people will starve themself to get attention. Everyone looked at me. I stopped Church and went back to my Native American people. I did Sweat Lodge ceremony every week for two years. I continued to do drumming, sweat lodge and other spiritual things. I fasted 40 days and nights three more times and after several years of hard work, I found myself. It was a blank sheet of paper. I began to sketch the self I wanted to be. Slowly, I created a new self. I'd look at myself and make corrections. Controlling my anger was hard but I wanted to make myself into someone I could live with that I could like. I married, became a father, and, at 76, I'm successful, have many friends, a good family and the happiest man I know. I have no more bad temper. I have no hate for anyone, no anger for anyone and I totally forgive everyone that's ever offended me. Eventually I leared the power of forgiveness. Now, I donate a lot of time counseling with others. I changed my name in 1998 inorder to avoid mental association with my past memories that had haunted me. By doing that I took on a new self identity. A new way of seeing myself. I became the man I wanted to be. Now here I am, a grandfather of 10 little angels. My oldest three grandsons, that I helped raise, are more like sons. They replaced the son I lost back in 1969. All three are in the Military at this time. Two Marines, one Army Ranger. Good men who make me proud. I am the father of three lovely daughters who are all professionals. A nurse, A teacher, and a Phycology major who is a licensed counselor working with abused children. I raised all of them with love and patience. I taught them how to "think" not just follow . For every man there is a path that leads to joy. To find it, he must first find himself. No man can find himself unless he has created himself. When we do that, instead of asking, "Why am I here"? We say, "Here am I". My mission in life is to become a blessing to those who need a friend..
Sorry about the long post. I'm debating on buying an Echo cs3510 to replace the cs352 which is in perfect condition.
I'd like input on that if anyone actually read this far. Thanks, and Be blessed.

I'm so sorry to hear about the losses in your family. After I got back home, well, what was once my home. After I got back to the states I was not the same boy who went to war. I had STSD but no one back in the late 60's knew about it. Being strong willed I dealt with it silently for a while but in 1975, after trying all the churches, I decided to find a cure or die. I stopped eating and began fasting. I was mentally miserable and thought, I'll get Gods attention and get his, it 's, or her's help. It was do or die. One way or the other things had to change. Eventually after 42 days of no food and 30 pounds lighter, my family talked me into eating. The church pastor, from the pulpit made it a point to say that some people will starve themself to get attention. Everyone looked at me. I stopped Church and went back to my Native American people. I did Sweat Lodge ceremony every week for two years. I continued to do drumming, sweat lodge and other spiritual things. I fasted 40 days and nights three more times and after several years of hard work, I found myself. It was a blank sheet of paper. I began to sketch the self I wanted to be. Slowly, I created a new self. I'd look at myself and make corrections. Controlling my anger was hard but I wanted to make myself into someone I could live with that I could like. I married, became a father, and, at 76, I'm successful, have many friends, a good family and the happiest man I know. I have no more bad temper. I have no hate for anyone, no anger for anyone and I totally forgive everyone that's ever offended me. Eventually I leared the power of forgiveness. Now, I donate a lot of time counseling with others. I changed my name in 1998 inorder to avoid mental association with my past memories that had haunted me. By doing that I took on a new self identity. A new way of seeing myself. I became the man I wanted to be. Now here I am, a grandfather of 10 little angels. My oldest three grandsons, that I helped raise, are more like sons. They replaced the son I lost back in 1969. All three are in the Military at this time. Two Marines, one Army Ranger. Good men who make me proud. I am the father of three lovely daughters who are all professionals. A nurse, A teacher, and a Phycology major who is a licensed counselor working with abused children. I raised all of them with love and patience. I taught them how to "think" not just follow . For every man there is a path that leads to joy. To find it, he must first find himself. No man can find himself unless he has created himself. When we do that, instead of asking, "Why am I here"? We say, "Here am I". My mission in life is to become a blessing to those who need a friend..
Sorry about the long post. I'm debating on buying an Echo cs3510 to replace the cs352 which is in perfect condition.
I'd like input on that if anyone actually read this far. Thanks, and Be blessed.
I read your entire post and enjoyed it. I am not familiar with any of the new Echo saws so I cannot provide any advice.

I came to this site looking for info on saws , their maintenance and current tends in PPE. But once again , I find that some of the most compelling posts, speak in some fashion , on the "the human condition". Thanks Wow for sharing. Peace be, and stay with you.

Back