Non-safety chain, how much more dangerous?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have saws with chain brakes, no brakes, and brakes that don't work. Hold on to the saw when you are cutting, and watch the tip like others have said. My worst ever kickback was when I pinched the top of the bar of a big saw and the rear handle got pushed back into my knee. That was an old 051 . I laid there on the ground about 2 hours before I decided to go home. For one, I could barely walk, and two, I didn't want anybody to know I had been crying. Others may chime in, but I doubt a " safety chain" would help in a push back kickback.

this

Very true, and I salvaged a bit of "bumper chain" to make a loop for a Milwaukee M12 Hatchet, which is a cool tool but grabby in cured dimensional lumber. The chain speed and tension are too low for conventional depth gauges to work properly. Soft wood I use the original chain.
Never thought I'd use bumper chain for anything but, there it is.

Hmm. Interesting. My M12 Hatchet exhibits exactly this problem. Grabby in general. And why would you ever use a little electric saw in anything but small stuff? Going to look into a different chain.

I took over a M170 Stihl from a friend who moved overseas. Had some sort of micro chain. Swapped the bar and chain for a yellow Stihl. Really a nice little saw. Grabs a bit indeed entering a cut. Like its supposed to.

There is no such thing as a safety chain. Created for lawyers by engineers that couldn't explain realities.

Back